GUN The world works oddly

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by fintheman, May 5, 2006.

1. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

So, I was in a fight with my parents for the last few months about getting a sidearm ever since I got out of the military. I decided to go ahead and go against "her" wishes (as my dad really doesn't give a crap)

Fast forward, I have my new HK USP .40, etc.,

Today, while at work, my mother had a wallet stolen out of her car and made her realize some things, people are not innocent (owns and operates a social care company for Hispanics)and people don't give a shit if you are coming to the ghetto to help people, they will still rape, rob, and kill you. So, the dumb ...... were not even smart enough to get out of the ghetto to try to use the credit cards (they ID for good reason out there) The dumb……were only able to get 10.00 or less. We are all happy it was resolved, still a bitch.

Basically, my mother said she is worried about the house being robbed because they have our address now and driving a Benz and being from the yuppie side of town doesn’t help. She said she was "happy" to know that I am armed now, and was asking me about protection. She asked about tasers and mace, I don't know if I pulled this out of my ass or not, but I told her it’s probably safer to carry a firearm if you are properly trained and mace/tasers might not always cut it. Suffice to say, I'm going to take her to the range rent the .22 rug and see how she feels with it.

She said she wanted something small as possible, but is this a smart option? I thought something like a USP 9mm compact would be fine.....

I dunno, it’s just funny how things turn.

Before you ask why I live at home..... Due to certain reasons including nursing a surgery for the injury I received while in the mil and I'm in college...

2. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

A .22 probably won't cut it. Get her a 9mm at the minimum. If it's just for home defense get her a full size to help manage recoil. Explain to her that bigger guns absorb more recoil so unless she starts carrying it in her purse it'll make it easier to shoot.

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

.22's kill more people than 9's, .40's, .45's, etc combined. Start her on the .22, if that's as far as she can manage, it's better than he freaking out and not carrying at all.

4. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

take her to a range and rent some guns to see how she does.

5. CPipes

CPipes Shit definitely just got real!! OT Supporter

This is why everytime i hear of something happening (especially to a woman) i make sure to make my girl read or watch it.

6. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Def start on the .22 but move gently up to a .380 or 9mm or something and see what she thinks about it. I would say a .22 is not sufficient home defence even though they will definitely kill someone. Either way, big is good for recoil but there is a balance there mainly because I am guessing her hands will not like a full size. I have relatively small hands and am far more comfortable with a "compact" than a full size in terms of USP and so on.

I would suggest moving up through a few calibers and see where she says it's too much, it may be that she likes a .40, or it may be that anything over a .380 is too much for her, just have to see. You could always get her a shotty for the house though... ;-)

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

start her shooting on a .22 but try to get her something bigger when purchase times comes.

8. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

fucked up statistic. take into account the %age, not the # of people killed and you'll see the difference.

9. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

What it really comes down to is .22LR is the most popular caliber in the world :dunno:

10. jonny427

jonny427 Scooby Doo OT Supporter

I'm sorry you guys had to go through that. Just make sure she takes some classes so that she can handle a situation such as a home robbery.

Trained w/ a .22 >>> Untrained w/ anything else

11. Live4USMC

Live4USMC New Member

As far as most popular caliber of gun purchased, or quanity of ammo?

12. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

You know honestly I don't know, quantity of ammo would be the obvious choice because everyone buys it in atleast 50rnd boxes but at the same time think of the number of people that have .22LRs; almost every person with a gun collection has one, some more than one.

13. Furner

Furner New Member

that statistic is fucked up. it takes into account the numerous people that are shot with a .22 and die days later of infections and such. doctors HATE the .22 round because of the low energy, it enters, but does not exit. it meanders throughout the body, and is hard to find.

14. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

A lot of women tend to go with revolvers from what I've noticed. The slides on subcompacts are usually too tight for them to rack.

15. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

everyone should start with a .22 and then move up

I agree a shot gun would also be a good choice

a large revolver in small caliber would also be a good step up after the 22 due to less recoil