SRS The teenage years

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by familyguy101, Dec 31, 2005.

1. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

I'm 17, senior in high school. I've come hear seeking advice to improve my current situation. When i was a sophamore, my cirlce of friends slowly fell apart and eventually completely broke up. To this day, I feel stranded and lonely and very much responsible for the breakup of the friendship. I feel responsible mostly because I was the most active one in the group. I guess everyone meet everyone through me and I held the group together. Well, in high school, it's almost inevitable that people make new friends. This happened for them but not for me. It seemed like we would be a stong group forever. I didn't like some of the new people introduced to the group, that's when everything went wrong. I started feeling more emotionally insecure. At times I felt I was being replaced and got sick of it and let my stubborn and angry side take control of me. I stopped communication with most of them and slowly lost touch. We broke up completely and none of us talk with each other. Since then, all of them made new friends except me. 2 years later and I still can't get rid of these feeling of betrayal. It seems like we all just grew apart and I branched off into solitude. What I want to know is how I can cope with this and make new friends?

BTW.....GROWING UP SUCKS!!!!

2. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

As you said you just "grew apart". That can happen to anyone one, at any stage of life. Find people that share similar interests as you through after school clubs, or through volunteering. You will be going to college soon, go with a plan of getting involved in volunteering and college clubs. You will meet a lot of people and no doubt make some good friends.

http://www.campusblues.com/

http://www.volunteermatch.org/

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Ok i have the absolute advice for the new year, let NEW people come into your life, realise in FULLY that life is constantly changing, you have been too conservative in the last couple of years of your life, if you don't go along with your time you will be killed by it. You need to 'allow' this new change into your life for things to improve, this has to be done every now and then , this includes friends groups etc, healthy people usually always search for new things,new people to enrichen their lives, i suggest you take a simular path because it has a reward of ending your lonelyness, be carefull who you let in your life tho.

4. Samcanadian

Samcanadian OT Supporter

Find a girl. She'll help you out a lot as far as confidence goes, anyway.

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I've always heard (and fully believe) the statement that "High School Friends won't last for long, but College Friends are friends for life."

I don't really keep in serious contact with ANYONE from high school; I only talk to them if they initiate it or if I happen to see them on campus or something. However, I've met some people since being in college that I am constantly in contact with -- primarily because they share interests with me and are in the same career path/classes with me. I'd say dont sweat it too much, it's just high school. There are MANY better things in life that come after HS.

6. svetlanalemon

svetlanalemon A little blood and vomit on the car seat...

im 17 also, are you a 12th grader or something?

Because if you plan on going to college, i think your chance is there.
    Highschool isn't always what its thought out to be

a lot of people in my grade are really unhappy also.
    and sometimes i just feel like im growing farther apart from being "close" to anyone.. so different from just 2 years ago

Anyway, college! :) cheer up. It'll get better

7. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

yeah, i'm a senoir in high school. I guess i'll just do the man thing and try to "tough it out" for now and see where college, socially, takes me. Thanks for the support thus far everyone. It really matters to me that anonymous strangers actually take the time to help. It also helps knowing that others are going through the same thing. I'll pass on this good deed to someone else now....:)

8. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Don't make so much of it. At best you might make a handful of lasting relationships in highschool....and you might even be surprised at who they might be as well. People you'd least expect to know right know might someday resurface and you'd say "Hey! Aren't you so and so from XXXXXX?"

It's happened to me twice already and it's shocked me each time that the people I now consider good friends are those who may have seemed aloof to me in HS. People grow...people change. You'll change.