SRS The story of an alcoholic

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Homan, May 22, 2004.

1. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

From here

2. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

:eek4:

although no surprising... people do more than hurt themselves while in active addiction... they hurt all those around them who care :(

3. Wow that's a wake up call,currently struggling with it myself.ruining my life as well,nondrinkers can't understand it...why we continue to drink.

4. I take it she was a hard liquor drinker?And how long and hard did she drink to completely
    kill her liver like that?also alcohol seems to ravenge the female body worse than males.

5. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

I'm not sure, but I would agree that women seem to become full-blown alcoholics quicker than men do. Have you considered attending an AA meeting yourself? You sound like you are starting to understand the direction its taking you, or that you may be alcoholic

6. thats an intersting observation, ive never thought about it. I dont know if they are faster to say, but they slip into sluttyness faster (cuz they can) and get a bad reputation faster than men. I dunno know, i wonder were there could be a statistic on that?

7. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

AA big book - page 33... its not statistical but i forgot to mention thats what i was "agreeing" with.

Yea the incomprehensible demoralization is much quicker with women :sad2:

8. Suzi Q

Suzi Q Guest

I went through something similiar with my late second husband. Note the word "late". He was screwed from the get go, not really believing in seeking treatment for things that occurred during his childhood, such as his mother's numerous and finally successful suicide attempts. She blew her brains out in the family car, and he, at age 17 got to clean the car out.
    We were married a little over a year when the first DWI occurred. I knew he drank, ok alot, but he went through rehab and stopped. For awhile. Then he started pouring Vodka into coke cans so I wouldn't suspect. Second DWI, a year later, another rehab. I left, filed for divorce, the strain was killing me and doing horrible things to my daughter. Then, he actually stops drinking for 4 years. I don't finalize the divorce until the 4th year, don't move back in with him, provide him with health insurance, and I think "such a deal, he's got himself back together". One day he calls me at work, needs help with taxes and I went over after I got off. He's drunk, big time. BIG TIME. Can barely stand, slurred speech, the whole nine yards. I walked away.
    Two weeks later I get a call from one of our renters that he's dead. Dead. Had stayed drunk, had a seizure, fallen into the glass table in the kitchen. He managed to somehow walk to the couch and get the phone in his hand (I assume to call 911) before he bled to death. Alone. Horrible, horrible, horrible. But he wouldn't or couldn't stop despite everyone and their dog trying to help him. Those than can stay with people like this are saints or martyrs. I chose to be neither, but I will always wonder if I could have ever stopped it. Who he was calling. How afraid he must have been. What a waste of valuable life it was. He was 49.