COMIC The state of anime. A very interesting article from A.N.N. (Anime News Network)

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by baboymo, Nov 27, 2007.

1. baboymo

baboymo Have you been circumcised?

It's worth the read if you're not too occupied with hentai and moe schoolgirl stuff.

Read it and please leave a reply if you have any thoughts afterwards.

This is coming straight from the head honcho at A.N.N.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/2007-11-25

2. valvefloat

valvefloat OT Supporter

If anything the price of dvds is what kills them. They put 2 or 3 episodes on a dvd and release it for $20. Also look at their market, its kid. So most likely the parent will be buying the dvd, most likely they will look at the anime and thing their son/daughters are watching something innappropriate. They will end up buying something American, something they trust.

3. tun

tun Active Member

Nothing really ground breaking or new revealed in that. He just put everything into one nice and concise article. But Japanese people are too ingrained with a fear of change and "the nail that sticks out gets hammered down" mentality.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  4. tun

tun Active Member

And any fansubs that the companies themselves would push out need to be released faster and be of higher quality than current fansubs if they want people to pay. I honestly don't think they can do it when speed subbers push out a pretty decent quality sub the next morning (I contribute to this problem lol). Unless it's done way before actual production and aired simultaneously with the Japanese version, there's really no incentive for Americans to give them a dime.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  5. tun

tun Active Member

they also gotta include the little subtleties that a fansub provides. Karaoke, Translation notes, non-bright yellow subtitles, etc. They also need to find a balance between keeping Japanese cultural items and translating to spoken English. It seems too monumental for those japs to do.

6. Kira Yamato

Kira Yamato New Member

fuck that.

they make all their moneyz, selling child figures/pillows/posters/hentai so otakus and splooge all over them

7. tun

tun Active Member

it's the japs fault for being greedy and wanting to take a bite out of the American market without doing their research. :o A little cultural analysis would have gone a long way.

8. tun

tun Active Member

And there isn't a solution for everyone. Nothing will ever, EVER make me pay for anime.

Even if you do the following:

1) Simultaneously air subs at the same time as Japanese releases in American markets, either via TV or streaming video or downloading, etc.
    2) Those said subs are of equal or higher quality than your average fansub, preferably with all the bells and whistles of a fansub.
    3) Hire actual American fansubbers to work out the cultural differences within the translations.

I, and other fansubbers, will continue to sub the shows for all the other millions of people who don't want to spend a dime on it.

9. tun

tun Active Member

why am I the only one replying? :o

10. tun

tun Active Member

11. 触手強姦姫 ap13

触手強姦姫 ap13 ………Anime Crew For Life!……… ……………………O Wait………………… …

i read the first section, i'll get back to the rest in awhile. i like to compare fansubs with american tv shows. most of the tv shows i watch/download air on local channels like fox, nbc, etc which happen to be free to watch if you still watch tv over the airs. now who is to say i can't download an episode of a tv when it can be aquired for free off that tv. the only conflict i see is that the networks pay for those shows through ads which are ripped out when they are shared over the net... so that seems to me to be the only logical cheat in the system.

now i compare this to fansubs because of basically the same concept, but me a young white boy in america has no access to jap tv so downloading is the only option for me to see these shows. i have to admit though, the dual audio animes i sometimes download is probably really fucking with american copyright. but just like the gigs of shows/movies/games i download every week i have no intention of paying while they are still easy to obtian without running into the law.

12. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. Kira Yamato

Kira Yamato New Member

gook fansub'in otaku

14. tun

tun Active Member

i think i'm the only fansubber here :o

15. 0mega

0mega Active Member

Give my an anime iTunes

DVDs, and boxsets are a waste of space and resources.

16. 触手強姦姫 ap13

seriously. i don't mind the occasional one that rocks my word and i feel obliged to go and pay for it, but thats really rare.... and as time goes by i start to care less and less about hardcopies. its much faster to locate a series on a hard drive than find the dvds and struggle with the crappy dvd interface.

17. DvBoard

DvBoard New Member

Sounds like you wouldn't much pay, you'd rather just not have 'em?

18. gthesob

gthesob the fun machine took a shit and died OT Supporter

What's the Odex incident he referred to?

19. 触手強姦姫 ap13

eh? i like fansubs but like everything else it is easier on me to just download.

wiki works wonders
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odex

20. red_fox

red_fox New Member

interesting article with commentary about the practice of fansubbing. It's a shame that the industry isn't doing well.

21. GnarPanda

GnarPanda New Member

I would buy shit, its just not translated and for sale when I want to watch it.

22. ae86drift

ae86drift (00) × NU.RIOT

i dunno... this whole situation kinda affects me.... i buy my anime on DVD if its decent, and i download a fair share of stuff, i find the DVD stuff gets a lot more rewatching than my mpg/avi/mkv stuff simply due to the fact i can watch it on my dvd player in bed when i go to sleep.

i also double up on the good stuff i download with a bought DVD copy from MADMAN (aussie anime company owned by funimation) for said situation. most of you guys wont pay a dime for the exact reason in the article. TUN is a perfect example.

now i could use my laptop to do the same but sometimes using the disc is easier/better quality and seems to have more 'polish', but there is downsides and all of TUN's numbered comment are 110% valid! (well apart from the american translator bit, local distro companies shoudl be responsible to putting the language in subs to the local market)

but i agree completely with the yellow fansun colour thing, but on dvd thats at the constraint of the hardware settings, not the video itself. with the mpg/avi stuff its rendered onto the screen rather than read from a 'script' and overlayed like dvd

23. Irvin Washington

Irvin Washington New Member

Taking the iTunes route is what I would consider the best method. Either that, or one organized monthly subscription.

24. red_fox

red_fox New Member

what got you into fansubbing?

fun?