COMIC The Spectre

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by johnny, Jan 30, 2009.

1. johnny

johnny shit, baby

Anyone a fan? He came to mind in the "do you re-read" thread, so I hit lcs for more.

I love the Adventure run I mentioned, by Fleisher/Aparo. That was some humorous, gory, grindhouse work for its time. Turning villains into wood and then running them through lumber saws...or into glass and tipping them over so they shatter :mamoru:

Anyway, lcs had complete, low-buck runs of both Moench's and Ostrander's series. I got Moench's and I'm digging it so far. Definitely a clumsy start, but the detective agency theme gives it a cool gumshoe feel. The fact that Spectre is earthbound and relatively powerless adds some humour, cos he is so disgruntled about it.

I passed on Ostrander's cos it seemed reaaaally heavy on religion and philosophy. If anyone has an opinion on it, I'd like to hear more about it.

I also enjoyed the newer stuff with Crispus Allen. Seems to balance everything good about the previous series. I have no idea about JLA.

2. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

Sort of a fan, when it's well done. I read parts of Moench's run and you're right, it's really good and funny at parts. But i :ugh:'ed at the whole demon-girlfriend tranny part :mamoru:

3. Hiero

Hiero New Member

I thought Spectre was known because of Ostrander's run on the book.

4. johnny

johnny shit, baby

That was bad :mamoru: The chick who could peel her face back like a hoodie was killing me too :mamoru:

Pretty spotty run, really up and down. The last arc was just a fucking meltdown. I'm not surprised it was cancelled soon after. I guess the bright spots would be when there were actual crimes/cases to solve. Issues 12-14 were solid, and 21 was a standout. Everything else was hit-or-miss, but not all bad.

I'm gonna take a breather (I'm all Spectre'd out) and then read these.