SRS The social merits of helping others cheat

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SolidRanger, Dec 19, 2009.

1. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

OK guys I'll start this off by saying I'm am completely and utterly socially retarded. I'm going into my 3rd year of college and I have a grand total of 2 friends here. I have never kissed, had sex, or even gotten a phone number from any girl in my 3 years here. I haven't been laid since before I started college. When I started college I was cool and confident and successful with women, but being in the college environment, surrounded by hordes of beautiful women and handsome guys my confidence has been completely shot.

These days I pretty much avoid social situations because I experience alot of anxiety. So consequently, I don't hang around at school. I go straight to my classes, between classes I high-tail it to the library to isolate myself, then at the end of the day I high tail it to my car and get out of there ASAP to head to my off campus house.

I want to stop being such a recluse and and actually gain some friends. Now one thing that I've been hearing alot from people is that if you help others cheat that it's a great way to make friends. I was originally against this idea, as I make an effort in my classes and I have an A average. I didn't want to share my hard work with lazy assholes, but anymore it seems like I would get social benefit out of doing so. I met a few people in one of my classes this semester who were all pretty cool and they would talk to me sometimes. They all helped each other cheat on exams. I never helped them because I saw them as competition for the curve. But now I think if I had just helped them cheat that I could have gained me some friends.

After all, it's become apparent to me that I'm basically the only jackoff in my classes who DOESN'T cheat in some way or another. Everyone fucking cheats at college. There's no honesty or intelligence here so I might as well accept that fact and stop trying to act so high and mighty and maybe get some friends out of it.

What do you guys think? Should I be more willing to "help" my fellow students?

2. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

Plain and simple, if you help others cheat to make friends then they're more than likely to only use you, because they wouldn't have socialized with you otherwise if you hadn't helped them. That sounds like a rediculous idea.

If you're that desperate for friends then go for it and who knows maybe you will make some quality friends, maybe not. But if that's your last option then you've got nothing to lose.

3. SamanthaRLong

SamanthaRLong New Member

I think maybe you would do better if you just joined a club or something than helping them cheat.. I'm not even talking about if it is right or wrong to cheat, but it seems it is something you don't want to do.. and if you don't want to then don't.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

if they're your friends because you help them cheat, what happens when you can't help them cheat any more?

<clue: they won't be your friend>

join a club, play rec sports, tutor a study group.....but gaining friends through cheating is like paying someone to be your friend. when they don't need the money/grade any more, they don't need you, either.

5. MMJ4mil

MMJ4mil Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.61 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Hell no don't do that. Try joining a club on campus or fraternity. Its so easy to meet people.

6. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

im sure your college has social clubs, or intramural sports, or SOMETHING do to other than study 24/7.

get involved in those activities. meet people.

use www.meetup.com to meet other people in your area.

plenty of ways to meet new people, all without helping people cheat.

7. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

This is fucking ridiculous. Don't compromise, don't give in. Fuck those other students that are too lazy to do the work required to get good grades. Seriously, don't help them cheat. In fact, laugh at them for being so stupid....seriously!

Helping people learn is not helping them cheat. There's a big difference here. If the people aren't trying and only want answers...I tell them to fuck off.
    You are wrong.

You're hanging out with people that help reinforce this idea. You're lonely and looking for friendships and you think the only way to do this is by compromising your values. That's a sure way to lose whatever "friendships" you manage to get.

Look I know what it's like to work hard in college and others want your work. I got straight As in my CS degree and worked really hard for it. I had plenty of friends who never asked for my answers and/or did their own work. The ones that only wanted my answers I would find out if they were stuck on something or simply lazy.

If stuck, I would help them....many times spending hours discussing their issues with them helping them overcome the barriers they were having.

If lazy, I would laugh at them, shame them and generally make them feel like complete shit so they would never ever ask me for answers again.

I had no problems finding/making friends because I'm a very friendly person IRL. I enjoy people and making friends so it comes easy to me.

You're confusing friendship with quality people and those that just want to use you. If you make friends with those that just want to use you, you'll constantly be disappointed by these friendships.

Help your fellow students when they are stuck and just don't understand a concept. Help them understand where their process is getting off track. Help them with a tricky homework problem to help them get unstuck. Help them study for tests. Help them with lifes personal problems. Yes....help them. However, don't enable laziness and don't let them cheat off of you on tests.

9. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

There's so much wrong in this that I don't know where to being.
    First, do you think that cheating leads to friendship or do they cheat because they are friends?

Second, all you say is either black or white.
    You are the good kid, the worker, the A-student.
    Other people are evil cheaters. "Everyone fucking cheats at college".
    No wonder you're experiencing so many stress by dealing with people if you view them as evil and yet you seek their friendship. Try to change your thoughts first...

10. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

keep in mind...people judge you by the company you keep. If you hang around with folks who cheat, and have made them by helping them cheat...what does that say about you?

Do what others have said. Join a bowling league, book club, whatever.