The Shining is so awesome

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Shampoo, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Shampoo

Shampoo Rinse & Repost

Just watched it tonight since I was never able to see it from start to end. I always caught it in the middle.

I swear comparing this to the new horror movies is like comparing gold to dirt. I've never had my heart race so much watching this. No one could've played the character better than Jack Nicholson :bowdown:

I just wish there would be better movies, stop trying to put celebrities just to jack up people's interest and stop trying to copy the Ring, we can see it a mile away.

I got so interested I went to look back at the subtle meanings behind each scene, and it's so cleverly put together.

2. thatguyoverthere

thatguyoverthere New Member

It is an excellent movie. Kubrick is one of a kind, and I honestly think it's a better movie than it was a book. Kubrick was so meticulous, it shows up on every frame. That's why his movies are so different than anyone elses. If you haven't seen A Clockwork Orange (not the TV version, rent it uncut) it will blow your mind.

There are many good early Stephen King adaptations. Carrie, The Dead Zone, and Christine are all excellent movies. The ending of Carrie made me scream like a little girl.

Cujo and Firestarter are acceptable movies, but the books are much better. If you haven't read Stephen King, Cujo is a great place to start.

3. johnny

johnny shit, baby

4. {WBK}Blood_Lust

{WBK}Blood_Lust New Member

I unlike everyone else on this forum don't really like Kubrick, but the Shining is his 1 movie that i really enjoy.
    Shining just builds and builds, hell i was starting to think i was going insane by the time the shit hit the fan. Awesome movie, red rum beotches red rum.

5. joy division

joy division New Member

kubrick > god.

6. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Ack, don't chee mean the Shinin'?

7. Shampoo

Shampoo Rinse & Repost

It seems like this is the only horror movie that hasn't gotten a sequal, which is a good thing.

8. mr jenzie

mr jenzie New Member

seeing the trailer in the cinema, originally, was terrifying!

9. chiisu

chiisu New Member

My whole life I rememberd the scene where the blood comes down from the elevator doors, but only recently realized what movie it was from... :)

Damn good movie.

10. quasar

quasar New Member

Session 9 was one of the most retarded movies ever. I threw away my copy after wasting the time watching it, I advise everyone to stay away. It has David Caruso, need I say more?

It should never be mentioned in the same thread as the Shining.

11. Trev

Trev New Member

Those two little girls ... damn, those chicks were scary. I've seen that hotel too in Colorado- can you imagine staying there after seeing the movie?

I'm seeing The Exorcist tonight...I've never seen it (I know, I know).

I also so a freaky ass trailer online today that a friend sent me - it's called The Exorcism of Emily Rose. ANyone else heard of it? Check it out: http://movieweb.com/movies/film.php?2916

12. joy division

joy division New Member

I live ~1 hour away from it :o

13. Shampoo

Shampoo Rinse & Repost

They were kinda hot :jb: I've seen so many spoofs of them I was expecting them to show up often.

Good luck, it's pretty awesome, it didn't seem like the Exorcist when you watch the beginning. Another one of those movies that isn't scary when you watch it but the after effect of it is frightening :noes:

14. johnny

johnny shit, baby

:eek5:

Have you seen Rosemary's Baby?

15. johnny

johnny shit, baby

I was not equating the two. :hsugh:

"The Shining is in a class by itself" was pretty much the driving theme of that post. :hsugh:

16. Trev

Trev New Member

So I saw the Exorcist... pretty good.... not as freaky as everyone made it out to be. I showed my friends that trailer i posted to you guys...the exoricism of emily rose --- now THAT looks scary, my friends. anything based on a true story and involving religion and the devil is enough for me...

17. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

18. Trev

Trev New Member

It happens people. It really happens.
    http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_1253.html

Exorcism = "Running thru the house, tearing the clothes from her body and urinating on the floor is nothing unusual anymore."

19. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I agree with everything you said except this. I personally think some of King's best (and by far his scariest) writing is in his short stories. I'd recommend starting with one of the short story collections for anybody who hasn't read any of his work. It's great to be able to read a whole story (and one that will make you sleep with the lights on) in one sitting. Night Shift is my favorite, but Everything's Eventual, Skeleton Crew, and Nightmares And Dreamscapes are all worth reading.

His novels kick ass too, but there is nothing like a Stephen King short story.

20. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Also a great one. The 70s were the 2nd Golden Age of horror. And the first time that movies got really scary (let's face it. Dracula and Frankenstein were masterpieces, but they were not scary).