SRS The Sea of Financial Aid

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Secretary, Mar 24, 2006.

1. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

This is somewhat going to be a rant but I need to tell some people that may be in my situation. I am a first generation college student on my dads side and first generation next to my cousins on my moms side. I live in one of the poorest states of the union.

Over the past 3 years I have been in pursuit of an accounting degree. My freshman year I messed up and came out with a 2.0 Gpa barely. I went away to school for my first year and thought that going out with my friends was more important, but that year I found out more outside of class than in, and I wouldnt trade anything for it. For my first year of school I was doing really good I got all but about $350 pd for plus books I did have loans my first year. I can attribute my great aid package to my dad being on unemployment for 10 months the previous year which my fafsa was based on, and my mom makes next to nothing anyway.

The second year I had to stay home bc even with the aid I owed 3700 each semester for school, so I stayed at home and went to a community college and paid about the same as I did the first year. The second year I got it all paid for including partial books. My GPA at the current school has been a 3.0 or better every semester.

Now I am applying to a major university in my town, I got in but I got the financial aid letter and they are only going to give me loans for about half the cost I will still owe 3G if tution goes up as expected. Thats not even for room and board just regular old tution not books.

While I have been at home I have had to work because my parents are not in the best of financial situations, I work part time 25 hrs a week, but still hold a full sched avg 15 hrs a semster. But becuase of this I get screwed out of financial aid. I have been so fed up with the system becuase I cant just claim myself on my fafsa becuase I am not 23 married and have kids, I have to claim my parents too. They didnt claim me on their taxes this year, so I could do this and I cant. I pay my own college bills, the only reason I live at home is because I cant afford to live anywhere else.

I have had financial aid officers even tell me to get married or pop out a couple kids and I would be better off aid wise. To me this sounds a completely ass backwards process. I should want to get my education before I to do the rest. I feel like im being condemed becuase I am not and not willing to do that. Ive even had some of my friends just get married becuase it will help them financially in school and becuase they "love" each other.

Ive tried the scholarship route to no avial. Im at a loss for what to do, other than to loan my life away.

2. dmac411

dmac411 OT Supporter

nothing bad about taking student loans. the interest is tax deductible each year up to a certain point. so take on those loans and get that education.

with the demand for accountants from the Big 4 these days, you should not have a hard time finding a job by the time you graduate. and then you can start paying off htose loans.

3. The Secretary

I keep thinking that, but there is a couple people that are graduating from the same school I was accepted too and the job market is piss poor for them. I believe one has a finance degree and one has a masters in economics and statistics. I dont want to be stuck doing my current job customer service after graduation, its already starting to make me bonkers and I have 2-3 years left in my degree.

4. The Secretary

The idea of being in debt kills me. I hate oweing people money. Though I have made out better in student loans than most will, I may have a total of around 12G when I am done with school. Its almost like financing a new car.

5. Create

Create :free at last:

It's worht going into debt for college and living expenses while in college. It's the best investment you'll ever make.

Sallie Mae has decent terms and are wide open on acceptance. Check with them for supplemental loans above what you can get out of the government.

Get out of community college and back into the mainstream educational system. It'll give your degree more weight.

Both finance and economics majors are being paid very good salaries right now upon graduation. As long as you keep an open mind about what specific industry you are willing to go into you will be fine.

6. The Secretary

I got my acceptence letter to a major university last night. Im glad to be going back to an actual university. Just the money part makes me dread it. Im finishing my degree there at the university and more than likely a masters so I can sit for my cpa exam. I was looking at edfinancial and my bank for the loans. At least that my two options for my lenders as far as my school is concerned.

7. dmac411

dmac411 OT Supporter

8. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

Couple of suggestions man, i know how u feel, my parents did not explain their financials matter and kept on reasuring me to go to the best school i could go into, i did, now by the time i graduate, i will owe 80-100k.. and like u, i try to work to help pay for books and help my parents out, but that only makes financial aid less.. :wtc:

my suggestion?
    for tuition try scholorship search that aren't academic based..there are like $200, $500 ones out there, it may not seem like alot, but 2 or 3 of those could pay for books!
    next, try and be a RA for some freshman dorm, you will get housing for free! or talk to the school to see if there is anything else u can do!

9. The Secretary

fafsa said I made too much money to get any grants. So much for the working stiffs.

10. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Sometimes student loans are a neccesary evil.
    I am frustrated with financial aid also. It is all based on previous year's income and doesn't take into account how your income might have changed since then.

11. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

lol, im the same position right now, here is what i am told.. wait to see what happens with fiancial aid, than i can write a letter proclaiming that things have changed etc..and the school may be able to help me more? so idk, try and talking to them and c wha happens..

but i swear this country wants ppl to be educated, yet its so hard to get money to do it.. really bothers me

12. The Secretary

its the division between "rich and poor" kind of. They dont do it to keep the poor man out of school but it definitely doesnt make it any easier for us. Its just the same reason they can raise tuition 10% every year for no real apparent reason. Im sorry if professors werent paid 4600 a month to teach they wouldnt have to raise tuition our firefighters cops and army reservists or reg infantry dont make that much. Now I believe you should be compensated for the job you do but to me that amt of money is ridiculous. The school im going to most the rooms are not even air conditioned and so im paying 5200 a year for what exactly? I know that may not seem like alot but when you make about 12k a year it makes a big difference

13. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

My school doesn't allow for any change of circumstances, so I'm just screwed.:wtc:

14. 98formyws6

98formyws6 New Member

unfortunately if your folks cant help you, you will need to get a loan to live on your own, no questions asked

my sister had a 4 yr scholarship but now that she's in grad school she's well over 150k in debt for loans and she still has 2 more yrs to go

15. The Secretary

If I live out on my own I will loose my car ins and my great health insurance through my parents. I pay them for my car insurance, but the health is ridiculousy expensive. I cant live without or have crappy health insurance. I found out I wont get my scholarship letter until May so I at least of have some hope of getting some money still and if I get a 3.0 this semester I will get some other money back that I was disqualified for 3300 a year.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006