The Screensavers - G4TechTV

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SutterKain, Dec 1, 2004.

1. SutterKain

SutterKain New Member

I curious if anyone here is/was a fan of this show. I myself have been a longtime fan of the show and have often found it both entertaining and informative. Since the merger of G4 and TechTV many months back, the stations have both undergone many a change and this is to be expected. Even within the show of the Screensavers itself, many changes have been seen in that timeframe as well, however the most recent changes may very well be the end of the show.

Several week back, host Kevin Rose had noted on his web blog that there had been a lot of changes going on at the station and many of his friends had been let go. As of Monday 11/29 the show began however had it not been for the logo on the screen, I would have never known that this was the show that had been one of my favorites for so long. Three of the five on air personalities were no longer there, and when Kevin, the above mentioned host was given the choice of hosting with a new co-host or developing content for the show, he chose the latter.

With only 2 remaining familiar faces who can be seen for about a total of 2 mins on screen out of a total of 60 minutes, the whole feel of the show has changed. When those two familiar faces are located on far opposite sides of the set, sitting behind desks, where they appear to be giving off the impression that they really don't want to be there. It's kind of sad really, to think how these two must feel at this point, the fact that so many of their friends had been let go, that they had gone from the forefront of the show to the background, and that their own job security rests with their own ability to segue in this new cast. A cast that has been described on so many forums as "technologically inept" and "more concerned about which game they have to advertise next then anything computer related".

What place does any of this have on a show about technology. I understand that the only certain thing is change, and that perhaps they have their reasons, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it. Actually a lot of people seem to be feeling much the same way I do, just check the forums, but its the fact that G4 is actually going into thier own forms and deleting these post about people stating their opinions on the show that is probably the worst part. They respond with something along the lines of "These forums are for fans of the show, if you don't have anything constructive to say, go post somewhere else." Some people have even gone so far as starting up an online petition to Comcast (who owns the station) to bring back the old cast. In only 2 days, actually less then 48 hours from when the first show with the new cast has aired, the petition has almost 1400 signatures. (Anyone intrested check out http://www.petitiononline.com/savetss/petition.html )

Yes I know that it might be stupid for me to get mad about this, yes it is just a show, I know that. No, I don't know why I got so worked up over it. I just think that it might have been better for them to cancel this show, then leave us staring at the horror of the survived abortion that is what this show has become.

This concludes my rant.
    Thank you.

-SK

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I haven't watched in at least a year. I liked the concept (and patrick usually had some cool stuff) but the show as a whole was so basic and boring.

is that girl still on there? I met her at e3 last year and she's so short :mamoru:

3. MacAlert

MacAlert Maxima driver OT Supporter

The show sucks now. I used to watch it everyday but ever since the G4 merger its gone to shit. The new hosts suck, content is horrible set is horrible. The show was best with Leo and Patrick and Yoshi's crazy projects.

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I started watching that when it FIRST came on the air.....ZDTV...Kate Botello, Leo Laporte...those were the good old days. I haven't watched it much in the last 2 years or so. :(

5. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

heard they just kicked off kevin...that true? ....least there might be more broken eps now....:hsd:

6. MP

MP New Member

patric and leo were mature, entertaining, and informative. That's why I watched the show. Even after leo left I still watched the show every once and a while. Pretty much since the merger I haven't even tuned into g4-tv. I had been watching that channel since back in it's zdtv (i think that's what it was called) days. They are just focused on getting young people to watch. Oh well, nothing I can do about it.

7. MP

MP New Member

:werd:

the content they are covering now == lame
    they used to have awesome projects and fun/new things on the show all the time. I can't even explain what it is now. Crap I guess would be a good word.

8. MacAlert

From what I know and from what I read on Yoshi's forum, Kevin and Sarah are the only "old" crew left and none of them are going to be hosts. Kevin will do more of the backstage work like content and dark tips.

9. SutterKain

SutterKain New Member

Yeah basically, They can both be seen in the background, staring aimlessly into computers, looking like they really dont want to be there. The one thing that I really don't understand is that if you check the TSS messagboard at g4techtv.com, kevinrose.com, sarahlane.com, etc... everyone seems to hate the new hosts... Literally thousands of posts bitching about this, yet TPTB think this is still a good idea?? I still don't get it. Yes, the show wasn't the same as it was with Leo and Patrick, but it was still good. Alex was still amusing, and Yoshi will always be the man. If it stays like this, its only a matter of time till the show is canceled.

10. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

When Leo left to spend more time on CFH it wasn't all bad, only a bit disapointing. Pat and Kevin Rose worked well together, you can tell they were friends and liked being around each other.

Then they moved to L.A. and we get Kevin and Alex. Alex is about annoying and all he as to do is talk. To me it looked like Kevin was just going through the motion of likely him.

Now we have Chi-Lan (original from Filter) and this dip shit Kevin who-cares-lastname. Chi-Lan is beautiful, no question, but when it comes to tech she wouldn't know how to turn a computer on if someone didn't do it for her, much less do this show.
    Both of them wouldn't know what the fuck to say if it wasn't for the prompter. When they answer phone calls, and the emails at the end of the show, they start off stalling to wait for the prompter to que up and tell them what to say.

No one has mentioned this, at least what I skimmed though here and on g4techtv's forums for TSS, wtf happened to Dan 'Foo'? For me, one of the fun parts of the show was for Thursday's LAN Party and seeing what goofy nickname they come up with for him. Plus hearing him read the prompter and then after words noticing someone was screwing with him by adding something extra, like when he once said something about sleeping with a teddy bear or anything goofy like that....I had to back my tape up and hear that again to make sure I heard him right.

TSS was a show for the tech computer geeks, now it's for gamers that happen to know a little something about being a computer geek. It doesn't matter what the segment is about, they get something about gaming in there so how in some why.
    When the show was really worth watching, they would talk about games when it for the LAN Party, for their Christmas Wish List segments, or when talking about modding a PS2 or Xbox. The only other exception would be if a game they have been waiting for be released came out or when GTA3 and VC made the news because of some dumbass kids acting like complete morons.

Comcast must be trying to kill off the show or something. They are killing off Unscrewed from the looks of it. X-Play might not be far behind. I have yet to see anything from Fresh Gear which last I heard was said to be still part of the network and I forget what all other TechTV show made the it with the merge, but they more than likely got axed in the head.

Pardon my langauge, I don't normally like to swear in the forums (I'm funny that way) but TSS was the only show that had me watching TechTV and now G4TechTV, but what Comcast has done to fuck it up so badly really pisses me off.

11. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

G4 was a crap station before all this happened. I used to love TechTV. I can't even watch it anymore after this merger. I shudder to think of what kind of crap programming is on now. I don't know what Comcast was thinking. Maybe they thought that buying out TechTV would help G4 look better and all it's done is make both of them look like crap...

12. SutterKain

SutterKain New Member

Alex had it right when he posted on his blog, it seems that G4 is taking the "tech" out of TechTV

-SK

13. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

tech tv was great until this merger, I don't even watch it anymore. If they were smart (which they obviously are not) they would have a hardcore computer nerd show, that talked about stuff in the old days, but more technical. Hell I would love kevins show the broken to become a regular TV show, me and my friends despite knowing much of what they said still found it fun to watch, plus the thermite shit ruled.

14. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

It's Comcast...of course their aren't smart

15. joshk87

joshk87 New Member

I used to watch techtv all the time. Now ever since the lame G4 merger ive probably tuned in once in the last 6 months. I cant figure out what the hell they are thinking. With all these people who dont watch anymore i would think they should see a pretty significant ratings loss.

16. adam17

adam17 now im gonna sing the doom song! doom doom doom do

:werd:

now i occasionally flip over to g4techtv to see whats on, usually its nothing much, and i flip back to comedy central

17. MP

MP New Member

don't get me started on technical!!!!! Man remember how often leo would do full on articles about *nix and give the tutorial right there live? When was the last time they did something like that since the merger! GRRRRR I totally loved the technical part of the older shows. Of course they still had the simple questions asked and answered but the level they were at before compared to now it rediculous.

18. kiLLj0y

kiLLj0y New Member

Usually reading the show overview online is about as equally infomative, and saves you 59 minutes of your time instead of watching the show. I watch it from time to time if my friend caps it and sends it to me. Most of the time, it is just for the humor. Watching them fuck up on live tv, or say something completely retarded. They've had a few interesting guests lately at least. The explodingdog.com guy was cool. Kevin Mitnick is a douche bag. When Fatal1ty was on early last month, they should of had him there for the fucking lan party. Would of been kind of interesting to watch that at least.

19. MacAlert

Haha, they got drunk on TV today!!! Filtered Vodka!!

20. iNteGraz92

iNteGraz92 trolling apple sackriders is just too damn easy

g4 is teh lose
    comcast is teh lose
    techtv down the drain :wtc:

21. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

that filtered vodka segment should have been on Unscrewed not TSS....but oh wait it look like they may have shit canned Unscrewed.
    Each day this week that I've watched, DVR'ed it really so I can skip over the crap, they keep fitting in more and more gaming crap. Nothing wrong with gaming, but TSS shouldn't be able gaming. Madden Challenge Update Minute, which turned into more like Maden Challenege Update 2-3minutes. I'll admit I liked the segment about the fragdolls, some of them looked pretty hot, and yet it's still more gaming crap that shouldn't be on a show that shouldn't be able gaming.
    Then there's Planet Asia, ok great now TSS is coming a gaming/varity show? All the bands they had on before where geek bands in some why. The was one or two expections, I can't remember who they were off hand, and they were on the show talking about how technology has helped them to create their music at home and get right before moving to the studio to record with a full band.

22. SutterKain

SutterKain New Member

Yeah no kidding Wolf, I remeber when they had "the 14 year old girls" on the show, but at least that was like a 2 minute interview before they started the LAN party. That was just absolutely retartded with Planet Asia. 1. It has absolutely no place being on a technology show, and 2. Who was he performing for? The camera? Theres no studio audience anymore. So it really was quite pointless. G4 has officially run the show into the ground. The only good thing about Friday's show was that Chi-Lan was MIA for the last part of the show (Which is all I caught and I doubt I missed anything worthwhile)... Hopefully she'll stay that way....

23. MP

MP New Member

wait wait, no more live audience?/? no way...that was a cool part.

24. SutterKain

SutterKain New Member

Nope... Just a bunch of people standing around in front of some cameras... thats about it...

25. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Don't blame G4, blame Comcast they are the buttheaded morons that own it.
    Not that I ever went to G4's forums before the merge but I'll be willing to bet they would have liked to have seen things stay the way there were before the merge as well. I pop in there from time to time now but it's hard to tell if the people bitching are classic TechTV fans or G4 fans that started watching TechTV when the merge was starting but not completed.

The petition is a nice idea, why not throw a boycot in as well. Just everyone stop watching, including VCR and DVR, the show or even the whole network until they listen and fix it. But then that might be just the excuse they need to cancel the show all together...'damned if you do, damned if you don't'