The question threads

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Astro, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Sort of in response to the locked thread about there being a lot of questions on here...

Yes, it would seem C/P has become tech support. I think thats the nature of the beast though. There's a great group of regulars here that do their best to answer a lot of the questions (and to do it for free). You won't find much drama here (haven't seen any good SCO drama here - I'm kinda bummed). You won't find much "post a pic of [noun] version X".

What posts would you like to see more of? Any comments to how things are run here? Anything you would like to see done differently?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I read that post and said outloud:

"Well dur..."

3. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

make me mod, thats what i'd like to see :wiggle:

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

That's not a bad idea really (in principle ;)) I mean there's quite a few of us who've been around a lot more lately than some of the mods:

Sgt. Baker hasn't posted regularly since February
    1997 CL 3.0 posts about 2 times a month on average

Popping in to lock threads every once in awhile is not the only duty of a mod.

5. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

About new mods, I have 1 or 2 I would recommend as replacing less active mods. :big grin:

As far as the site goes, I really don't know what I want to see more of. Since CP is a minor forum compared to what the site is really used for, I doubt our topics will change much. I personally like sites like SitePoint.com. Articles, tutorials and tech as the primary discussion would be ideal IMO. I really wish I could sit down and work on a community of my own, I'm not sure I'd have the time to dedicate though.

6. CompiledMonkey

Btw, I locked and moved that thread. I didn't see it going anywhere good. However, this is a nice shift. ;)

7. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

DCG FOR MOD in '03!!! :bowdown:

I don't think anyone should complain about C&P. This forum is GREAT, and I read it daily.. I've always gotten the help I've needed, and given help on a daily basis. Nothing will change here unless it disappears all together.

If anyone feels that they are sick of the tech support questions, then don't come into the forum. Period.

Chris - I always have and always will continue to offer my support and assistance in whatever venture you may wish to travel.

8. CompiledMonkey

It's very appreciated. :)

9. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Tech support questions are ok - I don't want to give people the idea we've gotten tired of them.

What might spice things up is if there's a few odd-ball posts about other going-ons in the tech industry (be it on coding, some kick-ass hardware gadget, or company news). But if people don't have the urge to share, then thats cool too. Every spot has its niche and I'm not about to change the niche thats here.

Now for some crazy wacky ideas:

- FAQ - I've heard thats actually now in production. Any word on it? Is it still alive? Do we need hosting for it?

- Tips of the Day. From being something new YOU learned (regardless of where you learned it from) to something you think is common sense, but feel others might not know. If we could have one a day, that might be pretty cool. Would an additional sticky note be one too many?

- Tutorials. These usually require a bit of work. If people are interested (either in creating them or actually making use of them), now is a great time to speak up. Maybe a tutorial is posted and stickied for a week or something.

- Points would be kind of cool. I've seen it done else where. Folks that answer questions receive points from the people asking the questions on how well they were able to solve their problem. I'm pretty sure this isn't setup to do this. I'm wondering if there's a way we can work it in...

10. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Could we get stickies on any of the above? I have NO problem written TotD, Tutorials, FAQs, and news happenings.. just don't want it to be a waste of time!

11. CompiledMonkey

Agreed.

I like tutorials, current news, and a FAQ. I just don't know that it would work as well trying to incorporate it into the forums. Some sort of CMS would be ideal. :dunno:

12. Byromaniac

Byromaniac GO JETS GO OT Supporter

yeah, that was me in that other thread...

i didnt mean to be an asshole about it. its just that id like to see other things going on in here besides tech support, thats all

13. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I don't think "news" items should be stickied, unless its an alert of some flavor.

FAQs & rotating tutorials I think might be worthy... OR, what if there was one thread sticked and managed as one post? One stickied post with a list of FAQs and Tutorials (and giving credit to the authors). This could be managed by the mods I would think. I dunno - these are just idea...

14. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Its all cool...

Define "other things"

What were you hoping to find in here that you didn't see?

Sorry, but the hacking stuff has to stay off limits (although if I had it my way, I'd love to see white hat discussions).

15. CompiledMonkey

Who says you can't? Just do it! :naughty:

16. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Board policy says you can't...

17. Byromaniac

ummmm, lets see

-new products ie, video cards, cpus, mobos. and ppl ranting over whats better (like we always see with cars)
    -linux (ive seen a lot of that already)
    -more programming
    -latest software/updates
    -virus information
    and any other topics that "geeks" would be interested in, like the new pocket protectors, hehe

and its not that i hate question threads, but does OT have to be the first place ppl come? cause theres tons of tech supports sites on the net that would help just as much, of not more.

and one more thing. i think its cool that OT is against all this "hacking, cracking, piracy" stuff, and i dont have any problem with it. but the sticky thread just says dont do it, but it doesnt really give a reason why (besides the fact thats its illegal) cause theres so many forums out there that are piracy central.

18. CompiledMonkey

I don't think our rules cover white hat hacking. Technically, programming can be considered hacking. So I don't see it as too much of an issue as long as it doesn't become illegal discussion. :dunno:

19. CompiledMonkey

Everybody say it with me, CMS, CMS! :big grin:

20. Byromaniac

The Compact Muon Solenoid??

21. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

CMS = content management system

22. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

If someone starts a thread about programming, I'm usually in, but unless I need help, I rarely start one myself :dunno:

23. MP

MP New Member

I'm fine with how this section is. Easy or Hard questions don't bother me. Hell we all have to start somewhere. People who answer the easyer questions do it nicely I think also. In the end I'm sure the person who got his/her questions answered appreciates (spelling?) it.

ps. SCO doesn't stand a chance ;)

24. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Ahh the FAQ. I am still slowly working on it. Writing sections. I just went to look at it again and it is on my server, which is back at home, sitting in my room, not connected to anything, turned off. I will have access to it soon and will pick up writing it again.

25. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd: As long as people give enough information, easy questions are usually answered pretty quickly, and usually satisfactorily. When I've asked less-easy questions, they too are usually answered fairly quickly.

Edit: I'm also totally in favor of shuffling the mods a bit. Of the current mods, the only ones I see around here almost every day are Astro and CompiledMonkey. SLED, VBGOD, and Nocera are also around here more often than the others, but not on a truly regular basis.