LGBT The Queer Movie Thread - Part Duex

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Sam Gamgee, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

So, I just watched two good gay-themed movies last night and I was going to post them in the old "queer movie" thread, but I said to myself "Self, it's time you started a new thread!!!" So, here it is...

I watched "Heights" last night. It stars Glenn Close (love her!!!), James Marsden (hottie), and Jesse Bradford (I have a total crush on him) and it's about a day in the life of a mother (Close) and her daughter and all the life-changing events that happen to them over that day. Not to give the plot away, but the daughter (played by this chick who looks like a blonde Parker Posey) is engaged to be married... and the fiance has a gay past.

AWESOME MOVIE!!! So well acted. I highly recommend it!!!

2. Sam Gamgee

I also watched "Eating Out".

OK, it's not as raunchy as it sounds, but it's a cute movie about two roommates (one gay, one straight) who go to a party and both fall for someone at the party. And it's about their conquests to get the girl/guy that they like...

It's a comedy and it's very cute... Plus, the phone sex scene is intense... TOTALLY INTENSE!!! And the full-frontal male nudity... just rent it for that... cuz it's hot...

If you can get through the first 10 minutes, you'll be hooked.

3. Sam Gamgee

Over the weekend, I also watched "Happy Endings", which is an Don Roos movie.... ("The Opposite of Sex").
    It stars many of the same cast, but also has Jesse Bradford (who I have a secret crush on, as you may recall)... It's a good movie, and has several gay sub-plots.

I highly recommend it if you like those "Many storylines collide into one final climax" movies...

"Lisa Kudrow, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Laura Dern and Jason Ritter star in this unusual comedy, written and directed by Don Roos, that gathers a series of connected vignettes about the randomness of love and life. A documentary filmmaker threatens to reveal a woman's long-held secret; a father and his son find out that they're both seeing the same woman; a gay man discovers his partner may (or may not) be the father of their friend's baby; and more. "

4. mamoru

mamoru New Member

I watched "It's My Party" last week.

Very enjoyable, very sad. I don't get choked up, but I'd imagine most people would at this kind of movie...it's moving to say the least.

I felt very apart of the movie, and the actor gives a stellar performance! Two thumbs up my prostate!

5. boiwunder

boiwunder New Member

saw "Latter Day's" for the first time on monday with my new bf. Cried when Christian gives the watch to Aaron's mom.

And I have always loved "Beautiful Thing"

6. jordan04

jordan04 The seeds of love have taken hold, and if we won't

Just saw Rent today! I'm still on cloud 9. It was absolutely wonderful. A couple parts dragged along as with any movie but it was spectacular as a whole. I'm downloading the soundtrack as we speak. I definitely think everyone should see this movie. I loved it! I can't get the songs out of my head. I had a chance to see it on Broadway in NY but I missed it due to a broken leg. Aw if only!

7. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

...why didn't you go with us?

So I saw it (with Ferron, Jordan's older/gayer brother, and some lesbians) Saturday, and I cried--not only at its length, but by the actual movie itself. Buuut I always cry when I see RENT on stage, so I don't know why I thought the movie would be any different...

8. Sam Gamgee

I love the part where he goes "You're just a walking, talking, marshmallow peep!" Great line!

9. jordan04

I didn't want to crash Brandon's bday, plus being with a minor would've greatly decreased the amount of things yall could do. Plus Lynda and I had been waiting for a month, first day baby!

I'm completely obsessed now though. Rent screensaver and wallpaper, rent ringtones, and the soundtrack is in heavy rotation on my ipod. Plus look at my user text.

10. jordan04

I love that too, but when he talks about the mass of dots at the end it gets me everytime.

11. CoCo

Yea, I was RENT addicted as well when I first saw it on Broadway. Your brother and the gang got me tickets for my birthday a few years back, and I cried, and cried, and cried, and then got into a fight with Spike Lee. :eek3:

12. CoCo

I've actually used both quotes...:mamoru:

13. jordan04

I saw that today, I liked it a lot! I felt it could've ended a lot sooner though. The final "happy ending" seemed unnecessary.

On a side note I have Mysterious Skin on its way, its seems like it would be good based on the recommendations and I love Joseph Gordon Levitt. Although it sounds similar to Bad Education and that movie bored me to death.

A synopsis "Gregg Araki's riveting drama, based on a novel by Scott Heim, brings together two unlikely heroes (played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Brady Corbet): a young man who makes a living by selling his body on the streets and another who's convinced he was once abducted by aliens. It seems they have unspeakable tragedy in common as both of them discover they were abused as children. What results is a friendship built on despair but rife with hope. "

14. Sam Gamgee

I just saw that this weekend... Good Movie. I actually watched it a second time with the commentary because, as I learned, the story was based on a real story and the producer of the movie was Gregory Harrison's character. He was describing the actual party and how they tried to re-create it for the movie.

Good movie. And who knew Eric Roberts could play gay so well.

15. Sam Gamgee

I just saw RENT this weekend in the theater...

WOW!!! It was even better than I could have possibly imagined it could be. I'm so impressed by how well they translated this into a movie.

And the performances were incredible... I'm still numb. I can't wait to see it again.

16. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

I saw that a couple months ago. It was sad. I watched it with a bunch of friends and at the end, the entire room was in tears. It was awful.

17. TommyBoiSxty9

TommyBoiSxty9 here, but I'm really gone

not reading but in regards to jesse bradford...
    OMG YES TOTAL CRUSH form me too, he's soooooo adorabley hot...

any gayness in the movie involving him!??!?!?!!?!? :eek:

18. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

off the top of my head gay movies i've seen recently:

happy endings
    tarnation
    mysterious skin
    my summer of love

recent flicks :hs:

19. sholnay

sholnay New Member

i really dont think tarnation can be labeled a "gay" movie - just because he is gay - doesnt mean the movie revolves around it... in fact - it barely deals with the topic IIRC...

what a gut wrenching movie that was though.

20. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

yeah my bad :hs:

my first closet post :noes:

21. Sam Gamgee

You need to rent "Heights" then... He's so unbelievably cute in this movie... and gay!!!

22. sholnay

sholnay New Member

i hope i didnt scare you off.... :big grin:

dont worry, i believe tarnation came up in the last movie thread from Sam - which is why i ended up watching it.

23. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

my summer of love is good.

not enough films about lesbians :o

24. TommyBoiSxty9

TommyBoiSxty9 here, but I'm really gone

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

I HAVE TO RENT THIS IMMEDIATELY, GAY JESSE BRADFORD :yum: :bowdown: :naughty: :drool:

25. sholnay

sholnay New Member

Just watched Capote - by no means a queer movie - but Truman Capote was a flamboyant individual. Acting was superb, movie was perhaps slow at times - but solid on the whole.