LGBT The Queer Don Calls the LGBTQ of OT...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CoCo, Mar 10, 2004.

1. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

Okay, so this Queer Don needs to convene an OT board of trustees to elicit some information… I was talking with some friends of my friend who recently died, and I found out that my friend was a noted member of House Revlon!! Subsequently, I have been looking and looking, and I just cannot find any information on the Gay Houses (other than what one learns from watching Paris Is Burning!).

I realized that this is one of the few phenomenon of the queer community that I really don’t have much working knowledge of, sooooo anyone out there know anything?

2. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

:wtf:

what is House Revlon, and what's "Gay Houses" I'm assuming that's a proper name

3. CoCo

As I stated earlier, I am not an authority on this subject… I actually am seeking more information. In Paris is Burning (PiB), we follow several gays and trans individuals as they, referring to themselves and others as ‘Children’, describe the inner workings and dealings with various Houses—as they hold balls and vogue the nights away! Anyway, each of the Children belongs to the House that suits them best, be it the House of Chanel, the House of Saint Laurent, the House of Ninja, the House of Labeija, the House of Xtravaganza, or others… To me, it seemed that since most of these queer youth had been abandoned by their biological families, they were adopted by these social families or Houses.

Seemingly founded in a cosmic rebuke of the snobbery that is at the heart of high fashion, the Harlem houses, featured in PiB, were founded and organized by gay black and Hispanic men, to sponsor costume balls where prizes are given in such categories as "realness," "evening wear," "executive wear" and "bangee." Once such events would have been known as drag balls, and the competitors would have been called drag queens. But PiB looks at what they've mutated into: What are we to make of this young military school student, the spotlights glistening on his sword and scabbard, or the sleek business executive in a Brooks Brothers suit? If the drag balls of years past demonstrated a kind of yearning among men who wanted to look like women, the balls in PiB exhibit an even more poignant longing. The models competed to see who could pass in worlds that are almost completely closed to gays and blacks - especially, gay blacks.

The members of the houses have to work most of the time. There are many types of workers, but most seemed to be hustlers (many, hustlers for straight men). The extent of gender fuck is breathtaking: noses re-constructed, breasts implanted, cheeks reshaped… Yet the beauty of the construction of this film is that it seduces the viewer to enter the lives of the drag queens that the Director (Jennie Livingston) got to know. (The viewer accepted it when Octavia and Venus share their outlandish dreams to live a normal happy life, to get married in church in white, to be a complete woman.)

So far, I have only been able to find limited sites that actually give me information. Anyone who find any, can you please post them?? I like knowing all I can on our lil community… and this is an area that I need to educate myself.

One site I found, that offered a lil intel => http://www.montrealmirror.com/ARCHIVES/1997/031397/cover.html

4. CoCo

PiB, a pic...

[​IMG]

5. CoCo

:rolleyes: ...so I noticed a lot of views, buuut no one knows anything??

6. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

when i was in london, i watched some really old documentary about the vogue phenomenom before it went mainstream with the madonna song. I think it talked about some of these houses. And it showed clips of the competitions and had some guy get banned cause he was wearing a womens coat. In response he threw a hissy fit stating it buttoned on the right side. I think this was the same movie or one closely related. Pretty sad stuff when you find out what happens to them in the end. :(

7. CoCo

...yea, that was the same movie (and he was correct, the buttons were on the 'male' side, but that other house wanted to throw shade because he pulled off a fur coat in the 'pass' section)...but anyway...sad :wtc: ...

8. Taylor

Taylor Guest

I've never heard of it before.