SRS The purpose of life

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Timdog, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Timdog

Timdog New Member

I've been feeling "meh" for about 2-3 years now. I wouldn't really call it depression since some things did still bring me happiness. But I felt like something was missing.

I tried the whole setting goals and achieving them. I achieved them. I felt happy temporarily, but I still felt "lost" in life. It seemed pointless to keep going on.

I didn't have a purpose in life.

Then I found
    http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/01/how-to-discover-your-life-purpose-in-about-20-minutes/

I thought it was BS at first, but then I actually tried it. It didn't take me 20 minutes, probably more like two hours. I didn't actually cry (it's very hard to make me cry), but I definately found an answer that created some great emotions inside of me.

My final answer was:
    To find someone who I truly love
    To appreciate the beauty of nature and the beauty which humanity has created
    To create my own beauty in the world
    To love
    To laugh
    To be sad
    To experience pain
    To obtain a job which I would love to do everyday
    To be healthy

I made sure to include negative things in there because without the negative, then the positives don't seem as good. Plus, I know I will never be able to fully avoid those things, so I have just accepted them.

This answer really fits me well. I've never felt so "complete" as when I wrote that answer down.

Maybe this can help out some of you here. It definately helped me.

mod edit: underline = gone

Thanks DE! :wavey:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Well lets make a poll here people, i want more people to try this (if anyone reading is willing) and tell me your personal results. Just post here what you experienced and if this proves worthwhile i'll put it up in the asylum wisdom.

3. Timdog

Timdog New Member

Thanks for the edit there, DE!

Up for Asylum wisdom? I never thought that I could make a post possibly worthy of that.

Like I said, it worked for me, but I know that it might not work for others, especially if their problems aren't dealing with thier purpose of life.

I really like that the purpose is YOUR purpose and not just one that someone spoon feeds to you. It requires you to really reach deep down and figure out what you've always known.

The biggest thing for this is to take the time out to do it. It took me 2 hours, it could take someone 5 minutes or 5 hours.

EDIT: IF this does eventually make it to the wisdom (I doubt it, but you never know) I'll make sure to clean it up and make it more presentable. :o

A quote from my favorite runner, Steve Prefontaine, probably helped me realize the beauty part:
    "A race is a work of art that people can look at and be affected in as many ways they’re capable of understanding."

Another one from him also helped:
    "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative."

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  4. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

I'm curious why the thing that would make you cry is the purpose of your life. I'd like to think that the reason I'm alive would make me feel exited and alive, not in tears. Also, everyone has a different emotional temperment. What would cause one person to cry would not cause another to, which says nothing about how important that thing is to the person's life.

5. Timdog

Timdog New Member

I believe they're supposed to be tears of joy and not tears of sorrow. I personally didn't cry when I wrote mine, but I still felt something very emotional. I knew that what I wrote was the answer. Each person would probably have a different response, but they would KNOW when they had found the right one.

6. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

give this some thought and you will be happy:

life is too short to take seriously, just have fun and enjoy pleasure.

7. Los

Los Active Member

I think it can be surmized as this:

Live and let live.

8. 18c

18c Guest

there isnt really a general answer its pretty pointless for most of us

9. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

:werd:

10. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

Purpose of life : Survival

11. Pringles

Pringles New Member

I'm at work, but for a quick answer before I read it later. I'm objective so I'd say my purpose is to die and then move on. But we'll see as this seems to be a subjective excercise and I need to enter that side of my mind no matter how little it may be.

12. FurryFriend

FurryFriend New Member

Purpose of life: to find the things that make you want to get up enthusastically in the morning

13. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

The meaning of life is life itself.

To create more life and continue the cycle of birth and death. The meaning of your life is whatever you want it to be. Nothing more, nothing less.

The general idea that life's supposed to have a "purpose" was spawned by religion.

14. Crush

Crush Epidural hematoma up in this bitch

How about you only live twice?

15. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

unfortunately this isn't always a choice. i'm convinced pleasure and fun are chemical.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

This is a good exercise. I would surmise that the one that makes you cry is what you really wanna do, but are scared to admit, and when you say it out loud it causes an emotional release and then you know you're there.

17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

So what? Of course they're chemical. YOU are chemical.

18. Los

Los Active Member

Twice? :noes:

19. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

right, i'm just saying to "enjoy life" isn't always something you can will.

20. Los

Los Active Member

Where there is a will, there is a way.

21. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Of course not. Especially if you've got a chemical imbalance going on.

22. Interesting, mine's a more 'serious' kind of fun, that of co-evolving a sane culture- one individual problem at a time.:naughty:
    --
    "Love is not merely a chemical; neurophysiology presumably serves consciousness, from one side of the largest explanation gap known in the universe" :coolugh:

regards,
    Neil