The PSP effect, is it contagious? v.xbox360

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by Fareo, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Fareo

Fareo New Member

incase youve been living under a rock, you can run all kinds of stuff on a PSP from PSP games to Windows (which is kinda useless but you can still do it)

[​IMG]

[y]z_aXXAv4yus&[/y]

What is the PSP effect? the PSP is one of the better examples of how piracy can kill a system or at least kill its software support thus ultimately killing the hardware.

the psp was fully cracked within minutes (exaggerated) of its release and since it was so easy to do, everyone jumped on and started creating homebrew for it. initially it was a matter of having the right game to get your psp cracked. then it was knowing someone, and now its to the point where just about anyone with minimal computer knowledge (to todays standards) can crack a PSP in a matter of seconds after downloading some software to a memory stick.

because its so easy to do, its almost pointless not to. if stealing a car was as easy as stealing a candy bar wouldn't more people do it? sure, you might not do it but others would. point being that a HUGE chunk of the PSP's installed base is cracked. so whats the big deal? why does it matter so much that i cracked my psp and i run CSO's and or ISO's on it?...

problem is when a game launches (is available for purchase) nobody buys it, for argument sake lets use some fake numbers, if 20 people bought a PSP game, 30 more people probably downloaded it, so 50 people played your game but you got funding from 20. this is not profitable for software developers and since they are a business first and game lovers second, software support for the system slowly fades away. you start to see ports of PSP games going other places due to lack of sales. ask yourself this? when was the last PSP game that you saw and you said "shit i cant fucking wait for that to come out?" .. better yet when was the last time you turned on your PSP?

so what does this have to do with the 360?

seeing as though the 360 was cracked relatively early on (maybe not as early as the psp) the process of cracking a 360 has gotten easier as well. a large chunk of consistent software buying installed base (this theroy discounts the casual "i buy 1 game a year" buyers) have cracked 360s. so when a big game launches on the 360 a large number of users download the game before launch and never intend on actually purchasing the game.

http://forums.offtopic.com/search.php?searchid=19155625

next point:

the PS3 has not been cracked yet, will it be cracked? probably... nothing is uncrackable. but why hasn't the ps3 been cracked?

the 7th cell theory..

http://provhider.blogspot.com/2009/02/why-ps3-havnt-hacked-yet.html

also to note, if we get past the security boot processes and the 7th cell you also have to find away around the blu-ray disc security and you need a blu-ray burner and blu-ray discs. as well as some games ie metal gear would be a 30gb download.

so with the PS3 under extreme lock down this proves that every PS3 game sold OR every player online, OR every person downloading DLC has actually purchased the game (unless they 5 fingered it from a store in which case the developer already got paid, basically they all have an original copy of the game someway or another). where as the 360 install base does not.

there are more 360s on the market then PS3s, thus making a bigger install base? Fact. which is true... and more potential buyers? not necessarily... at the moment the installed based of actual buyers on the 360 is still higher but this isn't something that's gonna happen tomorrow. this is going to take some time to build steam. the PSP was already 2nd to the DS in sales so the hacking of it was and easy example, but to pull a system back from the top spot takes time.

this years E3 showing has proved that sony has taken software serious and they are trying to be more aggressive in the market. if they can keep the quality software coming all the while keeping the hackers out of the system, in due time, the profitability for a software developer may start to lean towards the PS3. if this happens exclusivity will be harder for Microsoft to get or maintain (outside of their blank checks that is :o) and it might spike sony hardware sales. maybe not pulling them ahead of Microsoft but at least making for an interesting neck to neck race.

something a lot of people forget, hardware sales are a race to the finish line not to the middle. just becasue Microsoft came out of the gate hot and is pulling a strong lead doesn't mean that's where they will be when they hit the finish line, and Nintendo has done a great job of proving that. as well as Microsoft stating that they want take a 10 year life cycle with the 360 like the ps2, thus giving Sony more time to catch up and Nintendo more time to pull ahead.

this is clearly all speculation and i mean for it to spark an interesting conversation, not fanboy flame fests. i just thought that the aspect of piracy on 360 and the anti piracy of the PS3 raises a big eye brow about how the field could level out in the long run?

just thinking bout this at work the other day :dunno:

IB*updated*
    -not reading all that :o
    -"allthatshitbyyou" in quote :squint:
    -grammar nazi :nono:
    -los saying something irrelevant :hsugh: (check, los)
    -your a PS3 fanboy :greddy: (check, cyclaptor)
    -xbox fanboy rant :rant2:(check, regin)
    -and nobody posting a relevant reply :hs:

this is OT, get used to it :o

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  2. UberDuberSoldat

UberDuberSoldat Lord, beer me strength. OT Supporter

interesting read. wasn't aware sony had such a decent workaround for this so far.

3. Rumble

Rumble OT Supporter

I do want to play gran tourismo and the new metal gear game on PSP, but yeah, your right.
    PSP3000 can't be hacked as far as I know, and I assume the PSP Go will follow suit :dunno:

4. cyclaptor

cyclaptor Active Member

grasping at straws there fanboy

5. cbreem

cbreem This custom user title is custom.

3000's can't be hacked? First I've heard of that? As for the Go! We'll have to wait and see. Anyway I'm actually kinda glad and proud all my games/DLC on my PS3 is legit. I hate doing it (downloading full games) most of the time. Gives me that "I've just used these people" feeling and it just irks me. Like right now I have the full version of Rock Band Unplugged (CSO) on my PSP. I had a friend put it on there for me, wanted to try it, and now that I have I'll probably delete it. That's really the only time I download stuff on my PSP. To try it and if I like, I buy, simple right? Well besides all those juicy NES/SNES/Genesis etc etc....

6. Fareo

Fareo New Member

i meant other then what was announced at E3 becasue i bout shit myself when they announced 800 cars on the PSP gran turismo :eek3:

7. Fareo

Fareo New Member

user title - "micro$oft elitist. sony and apple bashing crew"

i already called this, thank you for playing, please try again :o

8. fakeyfakerson

fakeyfakerson OT Supporter

is the 360 really that easy to crack? i thought it required hardware changes or at least cracking open the 360 and voiding your warranty, which most people would be hesitant to do with the red ring of death and all.

9. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

LOL even if 90% of 360 games are pirated they still outsell ps3

10. Fareo

Fareo New Member

90% is exaggerated but even still ya i already said in my post that right now even with the theory, the 360 out sells.. it would happen over time... not right now.

11. mdisen

mdisen OT Supporter

It's already started to happen. UFC numbers are almost identical. But what's really going to kill the Xbox360 is the lack of any sort of meaningful exclusive content.

This is why companies insist on attracting the "casual" gamer to their platforms.

12. deviant

deviant rest your trigger on my finger

not really. as long as they have about as many games, and a price point lower than the ps3, the 360 will never get "killed" before microsoft's next console.

13. mdisen

mdisen OT Supporter

Well, they don't have as many games. The Xbox360 is in a legitimate drought right now, it has been for the last 6 months.

Microsoft is barely able to stay ahead of Sony as of now, and Sony is selling their consoles for twice as much.

14. deviant

a draught? are you high? the multiplatform games are the highest selling, of which there have been plenty.

and yes, sony sales will continue to be close, mainly due to the 360 having saturated the market more than sony has (due to it being released a year earlier)

15. mdisen

mdisen OT Supporter

So, when deciding which system to buy, you compare multiplatform games?

16. deviant

when 95% of the games are on both platforms, the price becomes a huge part of people's decision on what to purchase. microsoft also still has a larger installed base than sony, so the "i'll get what my friends have, so we can play games together online" still comes into play pretty solidly.

17. poin

poin OT Supporter

its not the psp effect. it's the dreamcast effect.

you could literally burn games and swap discs with the early versions. no mods at all. it killed the system.

18. EscapingJail

EscapingJail Playing To Win

360 is MUCH harder to hack than the PSP, I have hacked quite a few PSP and 360's

The PSP doesn't require you to open it, or do very complicated things to mod it.

The 360 requires you to open it with a high chance of voiding your warranty then on top of that opening up your PC to it's sata ports and having the right motherboard chipset for the 360. And even then you have to rummage through poorly written faqs on how to mod it, and to top it off you have a chance of being banned from XBL.

I say the Easist thing to "Mod" would be the DS, buy a flashcart, you download some rom from a google search pop that shit to a memstick put it in your flashcard and your fucking done.

19. EscapingJail

I still have my DC with burned games :rofl:

20. EscapingJail

The 360 outside of installing a modchip in your wii(which isnt needed at ALL) is the hardest thing to mod this gen.

21. EscapingJail

And speaking of the wii I fully updated my little bros vanilla fully updated wii with just an SD card to have the ability to play burnt games and run iso's off of a usb hdd.

22. EscapingJail

23. EscapingJail

and the funny thing is the DS and the Wii are the two highest selling consoles right now.

24. deviant

no, the ps3 is the hardest, considering it hasn't been cracked :o

25. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

People that play pirated 360 games are probably less than 1% of people that own a 360