The Prestige ##Spoiler Thread##

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Grouch, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Grouch

Grouch Guest

Ok the movie isn't that hard to get but I'm left with 2 questions.

Was it just coincidence that he (Tesla) made a machine that could clone people.

And what about Ruperts being the 2nd one built.

2. CraneCamsOU

CraneCamsOU OT Supporter

I think we can agree that Alfred's trick didn't use or look like it used any type of electricity/tesla coils.

My biggest complaint of the movie is this....Alfred should have easily escaped prison, especially with all the visitors he had. You'd think passing a file or paperclip would be easy. Ah well

3. 92'camaro

92'camaro poop happens

yea i think it was just a coincidence that it cloned people, i think the real purpose was to transport them it just had some kinks in it and he wasnt able to fix them on account of edisons men coming

4. Grouch

Grouch Guest

Well I dont think it was actually Alfred in prison, at least thats what I get from his appolgy about being the cause of the wifes death.

5. CraneCamsOU

CraneCamsOU OT Supporter

Nope, I believe Alfred's twin (the one that loved the wife and daughter, not the mistress) was in prison.

6. Grouch

Grouch Guest

Yeah thats what I said. But thats not what you said earlier.

7. CraneCamsOU

CraneCamsOU OT Supporter

Huh? Not sure which part you said earlier...no big deal tho.

So, maybe the question should be, which one was Alfred?

Also, I thought it was cool how him having a twin explains a few things; like how he couldn't remember what knot he tied because it wasn't really him....and how he got inside his wifes apartment when they first met

8. Grouch

Grouch Guest

Oh yeah. I never put that part together.

9. CraneCamsOU

CraneCamsOU OT Supporter

Another thought, did the old british guy (what's his name?) know Alfred had a twin all along? Because at the very end when he let Aflred take his daughter, it seemed like he did.

If so, he could have figured it out from the beginning when they all used to work together

10. Grouch

Grouch Guest

I think he did. Becuase he kept insisting on how the trick was done but without saying he has a twin brother. But then it doesn't make a lot of sense why he would be the star witness against him.

11. CraneCamsOU

CraneCamsOU OT Supporter

Exactly.

Another flaw I found was... How did Rupert know to not show himself to the audience in the balcony the one time Alfred was backstage?

12. CraneCamsOU

CraneCamsOU OT Supporter

And....Johanson was hot

13. Grouch

Grouch Guest

If I was to take a guess he waited a few seconds everytime knowing that Alfred would cause a sceen, you could hear him screaming for help when they did the flash back at the end.

14. aznh2oman

aznh2oman OT Supporter

so are there more clones of rupert walking around???

15. Grouch

Grouch Guest

did you watch the movie?

16. Akicita

Akicita New Member

good movie..although I was pulling for wolverine

17. Onova

Onova Guest

wolverine got owned

18. Samuel_Adam

Samuel_Adam New Member

because he knew alfred was in the audience already, he picked him to inspect the machine... :ugh:

so the twin that didnt die is the good twin, one that said sorry to rupert at the funeral right? because he said at the end that he was in love with sara (his wife), not scarlett johanson

bad twin is the one in jail right? one that killed rupert's wife and was in love with scarlett. but if thats the case, why does he care so much about the daughter? not like she was his child anyway right?

i m confused about that part

19. Bausk

Bausk New Member

There were 100 tanks of water all filled with dead clones in that warehouse. That's why they brought the tank back to the warehouse covered every night, and also why he used blind stagehands and didn't involve Cutter.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  20. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Because Cutter never knew how Rupert's trick worked, and thought Alfred or whichever twin went downstage really killed Rupert in that tank.

At the trial he refused to give up Alfred's real trick when the judge asked him, because he knew he had a twin and giving up his secret might give up his brother as well.

21. Grouch

Grouch Guest

He was still maintaining the illisuion

22. CraneCamsOU

CraneCamsOU OT Supporter

There's no good or bad twin, one was in love with his wife and daugherty, and the other wasn't....but I do think the one that loved Johanson was the one that died.

23. otnorot

otnorot ◑_◔ OT Supporter

I don't get why the twins took turns spending time with Sara the wife. I assume they both did, that's why she kept saying that some days he loved her, some days he didn't. I'm sure they could've set it up so that only the real husband spent time with her, then she wouldn't have to kill herself.

24. otnorot

otnorot ◑_◔ OT Supporter

I loved the movie though, except for Tesla's duplicating machine. It was the only "real" magic in the movie, but pretending to be science.

25. Grouch

Grouch Guest

All of that is explaned with the whole idea of maintaining the illusion. Like the old Asian man who pretends to be a cripple to make his stage show more believable