The pill...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by NScowgirl, Jun 19, 2006.

1. NScowgirl

NScowgirl New Member

So I'm wondering... I've never been on the pill, and never had any problems, but my current SO really would like me to go on the pill just to be more safe, and I can't say I blame him...

The problem is, the thought of going on the pill compleatly freaks me out!! From a biological sense, Im worried it's really going to mess me up.. did/does anyone else out there have the same concerns? I know it sounds a little ridiculous, but it makes me compleatly uncomfortable to think about taking the pill.

I have been to a DR to discuss alternate options, but I'm curious if anyone has any personal experience to ease my mind a bit?:noes:

2. krondo

krondo New Member

it's just a pill, take it with water at the same time every day. what's it gonna do to you? it's basically a vitamin.

3. Jacquelin

Jacquelin I was your silver lining but now I'm gold.

We are pretty much one in the same here, but I tried it for a while and then all those concerns came back and I quit taking it. I have tried the patch, too and did the same overanalyzing/freaked myself out and quit it.

You aren't the only one, but I'm pretty sure it is all in our heads. To me it just seems wrong and unnatural even though anyone can put up a pretty good arguement otherwise. It's a personal preference and at the end of the day you have to do what makes you comfortable. I say try it or at least speak to your doctor about it and go from there..

4. NScowgirl

NScowgirl New Member

Well.. it's a hormone.. so it's not really like taking a vitamin...

It's nice though to hear I'm not the only one! It seems everyone is on the pill and doesn't think about what it's actually doing to their body.. thanks for the reply.

5. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I absolutely hated the pill. I wasn't on the right one for me so I had constant bleeding and I my breasts were really incredibly sore.
    Yes the pill is hormonal, but it is relatively safe. If you have already talked to your doctor what kind of information are you looking for?

6. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

Ive seen the pill fail to many times recently. Ever look into an IUD? MY wife is getting hers this week :)

7. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

The pill came out in the '60s and has been tweaked & improved ever since. They have to list side effects on commercials and the bottle by law. As with any drug though, the side effects only occur in a very small percentage of people. However, if you are the type that freaks out about it you will probably perceive more things are happening to you than really are. I guess mind over matter?

8. RockChick

RockChick New Member

Dont get me wrong I respect your fear of the pill... when I was like 15\ 16 I told myself Id never go on the pill too... now Im on it for about 2 years and fortunately I have no troubles at all. Its just great actually.

But about your "people dont think about what it does to your body"... well, its hormones that can be found in your body anyway... just concentrated.
    So personally Id rather take hormones that can be found in my body already than getting an IUD or something which in this case is a foreign object in my body. But that is just a personal thing, Shrug.

Unfortunately not everybody can take the pill... go ahead and try, you can always quit if something doesnt feel right but dont drive urself crazy before even trying it... thats just fricken ridiculous... just my opinion.

Also google stuff about birth contol methods or ask your doctor and find something you are comfortable with... and if you dont or cant find anything, tell ur bf to wrap it up or simply dont have sex.

9. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

Excellent way to look at it. Good job.

10. 7960

7960 New Member

My wife was on the pill for years. She had to get an ultrasound (for something not pill related) and the ultrasound tech asked "how long have you been on the pill?" and she asked how he knew. He turned the monitor around and said something about big patches of blood or something on her liver. He said it's actually common and women just don't know and *usually* they don't develop into anything.

.........*usually*.

So yes it's a hormone but it's NOT one that can be found naturally in your body. It's a synthetic version of what is found in her body, and it does have an effect on women.

BTW, she quit taking the pill, we have 2 perfect kids, and I got a vasectomy (the best solution, IMO).

11. SohHyeon

SohHyeon New Member

i've been on the pill for about 4 years and i can't imagine not taking it (not from a sexual view.) for one, it helps regulate your period, so i know exactly what day i'll get it. it really did ease my concerns about safety, but i haven't had any biologic related fears. the only thing i noticed was when i first went on it, it greatly diminished my appetite for the first week, but then it just made my boobs bigger :)

12. Febreze

Febreze New Member

I went to see a Naturopath just recently & she had concerns about my taking the pill. Is is an extra hormone you are adding to your body which already produces hormones. Plus she mentioned that there were possible, but yet unknown, links between the pill and increased chance of breast cancer. Anyway basically people use the pill for safety reasons to protect from unwanted pregnancy. She told me to take a natural supplement to help balance out the excess hormones in the body from taking the pill. She said that everyone on the pill should also take this as it's all natural & can only help the body metabolize the extra hormones. Anyway you may be interested in looking into it if you have concerns about the pill. The product I take is called "Estrosense". I'm not sure where it is all available, i'm in Canada & it's available in health stores here.

13. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm evidence that an IUD doesn't always work either :rofl:

14. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

What kind? Mirena or copper?

IUD is still more effective than a tubal ligation. According to the gyno and internet research it is THE MOST EFFECTIVE form of BC. No bubble burst, I understand statistics.

15. Kirbys Autumn

Kirbys Autumn Mrs. Kirby McSpic

I've been thinking of getting on the Pill too. And it worries me too. I've got a doctor appointment in about a month. Hopefully, I'll get my questioned answered and feel better about it.:noes:

16. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

No idea, it was 25 years ago anyway so technology has probably changed.. Nothing's perfect is all I'm saying - although I do wonder why IUDs aren't more popular than they are..

17. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Chances are your mom had one of the old style. The IUD was actually taken off of the market for a number of years and replaced with the new ones. I doubt you are old enough for your mom to have become pregnant on one of the new ones.
    BTW, the IUD is just as effective (and can be more effective according to some of the stats I have seen) as a tubal litigation.

18. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

If you look at it as just another pill to take then you will be fine. If you take more than one pill (not bc) a day get one of those handy pill boxes to help you remember to take it. If you obsess and be like zOMG its the pill then you stress out and you may see more side effects and then not a normal period.

Im on seasonale and I have a period once every 3 months its great and its a manageable period if there is such a thing. I talked to my doctor about it bc ur supposed to have a period every month etc etc. But he said in the studies that he had read that in very rare cases they had to go in and clean everything out other than that there was no real damaging effects like permanent infertility etc.

Here is some websites if you want to read further:

http://www.thepill.com/html/ppil/birth-control.jsp??SOURCE=GOOG&KEYWORD=p

http://womenshealth.about.com/od/birthcontrol/

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/pp2/portal/medicalinfo/birthcontrol/

19. beautiful disaster

beautiful disaster OT Supporter

i was on Yasmin for a long time before i stopped taking it (loss of benefits :wtc:) and i never had a problem with it. i felt great, i wasn't getting cramps or a migrane, got my period on the same day every month. and i didnt' just take it as another form of protection from pregnancy but i loved how it regulated my cycles and all that. srsly -- go check it out :bigthumb:

http://www.yasmin.com/html/index.html

20. lauren

lauren Active Member

thats exactly why i dont like the pill. my hormone levels are very stable as is, and i dont get periods often... hormonal contraceptive fucks all that up.

i know you can still skip with it, but it still alters your levels. wish there was one that didnt. :hsd:

21. diamondsky

diamondsky New Member

im a pharmacist and it drives me crazy when ppl take herbals because they're "natural" and "must be safe...right" ... aspirin comes from a "natural plant"...is aspirin completely safe?
    talk to you pharmacist...they're the med experts

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  22. HuskiRuski

HuskiRuski Cardinal Fan

my gf takes that and she loves it. it's made her boobs bigger and cleared up her acne (original reason she went on it) too.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  23. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

The doc explained to us how it was more effective than tubal ligation, but i didnt pay much attention. My wife was excited because the doc said since she already only has fairly light periods, she most likely wont be having any at all anymore. No babbies and no bleeding vagina...:bigthumb:

24. up|dn

up|dn ಠ_ಠ

After listening to a radio show I asked my wife to stop taking the pill. Messing with your body's hormones by adding in fake hormones made from horse urine and all sorts of other crazy things just didn't seem like a good idea anymore.

Have a gander at these articles and decide for yourself:
    http://www.holyhormones.com/sellman.htm
    http://www.whale.to/m/sellman1.html

That's just one point of view, mind you, but at least do your research before deciding. :)

25. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

I wouldnt make the decision based on that. You are putting crazy stuff into your body with everything you eat and drink. I know most people are oblivious to it, because so many things are common.

There are alot of strange substances that do the human body alot of good. It's all about regulation, and some people need hormones to regulate thier body how they want.

But some people just dont want to mess with it, and rather go all natural. Thats cool too :bigthumb: The good thing is you still have the option of doing what you want to do to your body...atleast in this case :hs: