the pickup artist?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by NCS, Mar 31, 2008.

1. NCS

NCS Active Member

hey guys and girls -- what effect did that TV show have, if any, in field? i don't live in the US, and im curious.

2. Justin Niggalake

Justin Niggalake New Member

the show is gay... although the book its based on is pretty interesting.

i actually used a line that neil strauss used in the book & it worked perfectly. however, most of the PUA methods don't apply to me.

3. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

It was over produced and silly. If anything it showed a shit load of women in the US (those who for some reason watched it) that all those same lines they've possibly heard were not genuine :mamoru:

4. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

i thought the speed of the eliminations made the show much worse than it could have been. they should have let people stay a lot longer before eliminating them. the point of this stuff is that it can take a lot of time and effort. but they plugged the show into the usual reality series formula.

i prefer direct game, so this probably won't affect me.

5. NCS

NCS Active Member

i also have my own twist on things but im curious if you noticed anything while u were out meeting girls -- or for the girls, if you noticed a lot more retards asking if there was that fight outside and did you see it? etc.

6. JohnJohnJohnson

:dunno: i've been outta the game for months

7. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

if you used those lines at the time of the show anyway then you deserve to get called out

8. JohnJohnJohnson

or you could say them as a joke and get a good reaction either way

9. JohnJohnJohnson

o rlly. like what?

10. Alaya

Alaya Active Member

Using "negs" or whatever you call them, opening "sets," openers [excuse me if my terms are wrong], etc. I've suspected people using it before, but when it becomes blatantly obvious is when it is waaaaaaaaay too structured. Basically, people that are shitty at PUA tactics have a hard time adjusting their "game" to the actual natural flow of things/particular context/etc. When it's executed well, you can suspect people of using it. When it's not, it's pretty much laughable.

From what I saw, that was one of the main problems the guys had on the show - adapting and letting go of the formula so to speak. That's when it goes from "hmm, it feels like he's using PUA stuff on me, I have knowledge of the subject and I assume he doesn't think I do" to "lololol he's using PUA stuff shittily."

Probably the most awkward/funny ones was when a guy literally yelled across my parking garage at my apartment to get my friend and I's attention. It was super weird - so we walked over, and he's like "I really, really desperately need your opinion on something. What do you think of the color of my car?" We were just like ":hsugh: it's kinda girly, actually." Then, he proceeds to used some weird canned material that didn't really make sense to our response. Finally he does the whatever tactic of "Oh, I have an appointment I'm a very busy person, have to go!" As I'm walking into my car he yells out "Silver sucks! [the color of my car]" [a neg?] and some other lightly making fun comments and tells me how he will see me around if I'm lucky but not to count on it "because he's a busy guy." My friend and I were just like :ugh:, I hope I don't ever see you again.

Maybe that story doesn't demonstrate it well in writing, but when he actually enacted it it was soooooooooo forced and structured. And, like I said, he had a hard time breaking away from the "routine" - i.e., he got flustered when I said it's kinda girly and went off about how it's a rental and a bunch of other babble that didn't make sense within the context of what I said. Then trying to appear "high value" by ridiculously over-emphasizing how important/busy he was.

11. JohnJohnJohnson

Oh, wow.

Man, girls lead such weird, weird lives.

12. MikeHunt79

MikeHunt79 New Member

Get used to it :rofl:

13. JohnJohnJohnson

you sound like you're used to it

14. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

I forgot about this show...

15. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I didn't. Everything was staged. Leghumpers of the show tried to defend it but there's no defending the fact that everyone has to sign a consent form prior to being on film.

Especially at the strip club :rofl: Didn't someone here find a board where someone that worked for the club or knew one of the girls who worked there say they all knew?

I mean the idea was great, it's nice to take awkward dudes and think they got some confidence, the show was just done badly.

16. demosnat

demosnat New Member

My bf at the time and I watched a few episodes with friends. I had a crush on the dorky asian guy, other than that I didn't get much out of it.

17. ptwiggens

ptwiggens New Member

Coming from someone who has done hidden camera filming for a pickup company... this isn't true. You can get their consent after. And in Texas, where the show was filmed, the rules are very relaxed and as long as there is a sign that says they will be filmed when they walk into the venue, you don't have to get a release.

I've also met all of the guys from the show and spent a great deal of time with Kosmo, Joe D, and Brady, and can tell you that none of the footage was faked. They did cut A LOT out (Like the stripper one took over an hour)... and they used creative editing to change the timeline of some of the stuff... but the footage is real.

P.S. Demosnat... Spoon is a complete weirdo in real life. Also, Kosmo is a douchebag.

18. NCS

NCS Active Member

wow that parking lot story is out there. personally, when i learned pickup stuff, i just sprinkle it in what i did already, and it seems to work fine.

however, even before pickup stuff, i'd use opinion openers because they're so natural to me. for ex: me and two friends were out and one was going off on some wierd dream involving his ex, so we're teasing him about it and h'es like NOOOO i'm so over her." so i grab the closest girl near me and and go "hey you gotta hear what a guy in denial sounds like" and get her opinion on the whole deal.

i think the reason i've NEVER been called out on it is because its 100% genuine, and the body language of the whole group reflects that.

19. dazmanultra

dazmanultra New Member

20. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

what did you work for mehow or pu101 or something?

as if mystery wasn't a piece of shit to begin with, the fact that brady, kosmo, and joe d are running their own programs is beyond laughable

In fact, it's absurd. Probably up there with the joke that Stylelife as become.

21. Vysion

Vysion New Member

It frustrates me how much people miss the point of what skills people like Mystery teach...

It isn't about the pick up lines at all. When you have a bunch of socially inept guys learning how to meet women, the best way to teach them is to give them some canned openers to begin with. Once they learn the skills to be better socially then they will be better prepared for coming up with thier own social openers.

It's easy for women flame stuff that pickup artists teach because they get to hide behind the fact that it is a cultural norm that women don't ever have to make the first contact. Women expect men to approach them. Men have to come up with a skill set (that isn't taught growing up) on how to meet women and get them to be interested in them so as to want to hang out with them wether it is for sex or a long term relationship.

Mystery taught those guys more than just some chessy pickup lines. He taught them things they should and shouldn't do when meeting new people, he taught them that looks aren't that important when meeting women, and most importantly he taught them how to be more confidant socially.

22. NCS

NCS Active Member

why do you think stylelife is bad, theres a lot of content dished out on there

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  23. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

I've spoke with a few members. It started off fine, but apparently has really died down since.

I'm not talking about the anihilliation method DVDs, which had good content (technically) even though it's like 100% rehashed mystery method bullshit.

But the interviews, or missions, or telephone consultations, etc. were non-existent and/or started really lacking.

This is just what a few members have said. They were utterly deceived.

24. XJ3B

XJ3B wat

real social dynamics is actually pretty amazing from what ive seen in their products.

25. giz

giz Active Member

truth. and its because they've moved away from canned material.

it's lengthy but tyler durdens new blueprints vids are pretty good