GUN The OFFICIAL "what gun should I get" thread

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by footratfunkface, Feb 17, 2004.

1. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Before you post, read this.

we seem to be getting a lot of "what should i get?" threads here lately. so, in light of this, i just want to suggest that anyone who wants to ask such questions also add:

what will the firearm be used for? just going to the range? home defense? concealed carry? compensation for a small penis?

what price range?

what caliber?

if you already have a specific firearm in mind, this helps people help you more efficiently. less hanky-panky and monkeyshines, as it were.

also, people keep asking about firearms laws in their states, or nationwide. while i don't mind people doing this, PLEASE verify the information either by looking into your federal/state/local laws, or by contacting someone like a prosecutor, judge, or an attorney that deals with firearm laws. police officers do not always know the laws. you can count on them to tell you what they will arrest or hassle you for, but not what you will get prosecuted for.

i may add more stuff later, but i think that about covers what was on my mind. if you have any suggestions of other stuff to add to my "before you post" list, feel free.

2. mrbill

mrbill New Member

also, use the search feature. chances are someone has asked the same or similar question you have. by using the search function, you should be able to narrow or even have your question answered. we like to help, but too many "what should i get"...etc type threads take up bandwidth and memory. and seeing as Fazle is paying for it out of his pocket, we should do our best to not waste it.

3. nycmatt49

nycmatt49 Guest

If everyone just read threads that had already been written in the past, then what on earth would be talk about in here?

to footratfunface's point, i agree that all of that info should be included... if it's not, it will just be asked by others

4. footratfunkface

if there is nothing new to add, then why even talk at all? do you copy encyclopedias for fun? i do not enjoy typing the same responses to the same questions all the time. if i can save my time and others' time for other, unanswered questions and un-played-out discussions, i'll do it.

if there is relavent, new material to add to a thread, that's fine. however, starting the same thread over and over does not add anything new.

5. nycmatt49

nycmatt49 Guest

sometimes it's easier for someone to type a message rather than searching for a past thread that may or may not exist. if you've responded to a thread in the past, and a similar one is posted, just don't respond to it again. no-one really wants to listen to you anyway

6. footratfunkface

7. atomlowe

atomlowe meh....member

Lookin for an AR in .308...options?

I'm thinkin ArmaLite AR - 10A2 in a Carbine.

I was also looking at buyin my buddy's Elcan, but the ballistic compensator (100, 200, 300, 400) set for a .223?

8. Mitch'SS

Mitch'SS New Member

9. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

10. GunShow

GunShow You had best unfuck yourself

11. footratfunkface

the SR25, the AR10, and bushmaster's offering in .308 are all options. to me, if the bushmaster pans out and has readily available parts, it'd be the one to get, since it takes FAL mags, and has an ambidextrous operating system. i'd look at getting an A3 upper and removable carry handle, if available, so you can use any optics you want.

12. nordaim

nordaim Guest

Having shot the AR10 a few months ago, I would highly recommend it. Recoil is negligable, it puts the round where you want it, and is a hoot to shoot.

13. atomlowe

atomlowe meh....member

True true....thanks for the advise. It looks like the bushmaster is the way to go for all the above reasons. The 16" barrel looks like the direction I'm heading.

Ya, a buddy shoots an M1A and I love the round. Its alot more fun then the standard .223.

14. footratfunkface

also, DPMS makes a .308 AR. i don't know anything about it, and i'm too lazy to research it. bushmaster makes the BAR10 in a 20" and 16" configuration, but i don't know if either are available without the AK brake, or whether a birdcage or other flash hider will be available after the ban. they're available in A2 and A3 configurations, but their catalogue does not list a removable carry handle, so i don't know if they make one for the A3. you COULD use one from an AR, but i don't know if it'd calibrate right for the .308 ballistics. you could always just go with an aimpoint or something.

15. beetle

beetle blah blah blah OT Supporter

Would like recommendations on a gun

Hi Folks.

Some of you seem to know everything about guns, and I would very much appreciate your advice in selecting a gun or at least pointing me off in the right direction for makes / models to look at. I read the sticky about being as specific as possible and to do a search of old posts. I've done that, but would still like to post this out in hopes of getting some recent information.

Background: this would be my first gun, although I do have a small amount of experience firing them (skeet a few times, and shooting various types of guns at the range -- maybe 10 times total at the range).

Purpose: Primarily for home defense, although I think if I were to buy a gun I might end up spending more time at the target range.

Requirement: This gun will also be used by my wife. I have medium sized hands, but she has very small hands (think child size hands). Because my wife will also be using the gun I would like something very simple to operate.

Price Range: Under $1K.

My current thinking (and please feel free to comment if my ideas are incorrect -- after all I don't have a lot of experience to draw upon here) is that a revolver would better suit my needs, especially the simplicity part. I'm thinking it would be confusing to my wife to deal with the whole clip / chamber a round thing on an automatic (especially during a stressful situation). The revolver seems more straightforward to use for a beginner. However, I'm not sure how she would do having to insert bullets into the revolver during a stressfull situation. Your opinions here would be appreciated.

Because she is small, I'm looking for something with less recoil. So based on my initial thoughts about the revolver vs. automatic and a calibre with less kick, I'm currently thinking about the Smith & Wesson .38 special revolver. I see they just released a new model with a laser grip, which might make it easier for my wife to use (i have to check out how it works. If you have to turn on the laser thorugh a switch or something than she won't like it).

[​IMG]

Also I'm thinking the covered hammer and double action design would be a good thing for a beginner like me and the wife.

If the revolver is not a good idea, then I'd like to hear your recommendations on automatics, especially something with less recoil and can be comfortably handled by somebody with small hands.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

16. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

I really recommend a glock 26(baby glock) its in 9mm and the recoil wont be too harsh for your wife. Or id recommend a sig P229. \Both are good compact guns that are offered in 9mm. since it will be a home gun also, you can get these guns with a tactical rail and attach a flashlight and laser to your gun. For home defense purposes, id recommend a semi-auto over a revolver.

You can get all these for under 1K

17. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

Why not just get an STG-58 or an M1A?

:bowdown:[​IMG]

18. RealFastV6

Under 1k?

Get 2 guns, one for you, and one for your wife.

19. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

20. beetle

hmm, that may be a good idea. just came back from the sports store, and am thinking about going a whole other route -- what do you guys think about a Winchester "Lady Defender" 20 Ga shotgun for her?

Then I'd pick up a nice automatic for me (not so much for home defense, but for shooting at the range/personal enjoyment/etc.)

21. itchiban

itchiban Guest

:werd: :drool:

22. attomica

attomica Active Member

I think your thoughts on the complexity of an automatic versus the simplicity of the revolver are SPOT ON. People seemed to have lost their understanding of the virtues of the revolver in favor of the more fascinating automatics.

The fact is, when you're in a high-stress situation you're going to want the least complex thing you can get because, obviously, a more complex device will decrease your chance of prevailing by dispersing your attention over several concepts simultaneously instead of focusing on THE objective: survival.

Automatics operate via a system of numerous sophisticated components including levers, plungers, springs, screws and various tightly fitted pieces, all assembled to exact tolerances. This is pretty exotic stuff from an engineering standpoint, but for an end-user like you and me, it amounts to a higher possibility of mechanical failure. Failure can happen while you're just practicing at the range, which could be irritating, and it can happen in a true protective situation, which could be disasterous.

Conversely, revolvers have a real advantage in their simple design. Unlike an automatic, absent are the concerns regarding the state of the gun (chambered round?), the safety's engagement, the magazine's insertion and so on. Revolvers are composed of a few simple, attached parts: the cylinder, the barrel, the grip and the trigger assembly; and the frame holds all together. These parts interact in a very straight-forward manner. The cylinder contains the rounds and rotates into the frame, lining up the round apertures with the barrel. You pull the trigger and a round is fired. It's that simple. There are no magazines, safeties or slides.

Then there are times when you'll have to contend with ammo failure. This is not related to the design of the gun, but probably a manufacturer's bad load. You'll have to deal with it just the same. With an automatic, there are different situations from which you'll have to recover and every time you'll have to stop what you're doing (complete loss of focus?) and investigate the problem. This investigation can range from simply removing the magazine (clip, to the uninformed) clearing the bad round and reinserting the magazine to a full disassembly of the slide and barrel. If an intruder is at the top of the stairs, there will be no time for either. With a revolver (double action), all you do is pull the trigger again to expend the next round.

This point's importance is not as great as what's been previous mentioned, but I still think it's worth mentioning: a clean gun is important to it's flawless operation and revolvers are so much easier to keep clean because there are so few moving parts. Automatics, on the other hand, can be a complete pain-in-the-ass to clean.

That being said, I have a recommendation for a great house gun: Ruger's GP-100 in .357. I bought this very gun for my bedstand firearm. There are several points that make this a great choice in my opinion:
    1. It's not terribly expensive. Mine was $425, brand new.
    2. It's built like a tank and capable of handling "hot" loads with no problem.
    3. It can also fire .38 rounds, which are perfect, cheap practice rounds.

You mentioned that your wife is petite. My wife is too at 5'3" and 115lbs. She is quite adept at firing this gun, even with full .357 rounds. Keep in mind that a heavier gun will help attenuate the recoil when firing. Those really small, lightweight guns are a REAL handful when fired. At your cost ceiling, you could get two and keep .38s in her gun and .357s in yours.

There will be those who sing about the automatic's ability to handle more rounds. In a roving firefight, that would be a plus, I guess. However, statsistics show that usually no more than three rounds are fired in a civilian conflict. So, six rounds should be more than enough and if you can't get done what needs it with six rounds, you shouldn't be shooting anyway.

Anyway, it a very subjective choice and I urge both you AND your wife to thoroughly research this topic and find the RIGHT gun. That means logging some time at a reputable gun range handling and, if possible, firing several different guns. Also, take a training course dealing with guns and self-defense. That'll enable you to truly USE the gun and not just think you're safe because you have one.

(The preceding has been a mix of fact and my opinion.)

Here t'is! It can be had with a shorter barrel too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2004
  23. beetle

attomica, THANK YOU for the knowledgable and insightful post. I will definately check out the models you mentioned. Also, good point about the weight of the gun helping to absorb recoil. I was previously thinking about a small gun (so my wife could handle it easier), but didn't think about the recoil factor.

Thanks again for the info! :)

24. footratfunkface

i'd like an FAL after the ban sunsets. two of my friends are building 16" FALs with all sorts of cool carbine goodies, like rail systems and such. one of them might even SBR a reciever, and make a 13" FAL.

25. RealFastV6