SRS The Nowhere Generation

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mugwump, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

We're lost, nowhere, searching, wandering, bohemian, flighty; our heads are in the clouds. We go from job to job, place to place, lover to lover. We don't know what we're looking for, but we know that what we've found isn't quite it. So we discard.

We don't fear commitment; we're just uncertain if what we found is worth committing to. We feel that commitment is an ultimatum and set in stone and don't want to make the wrong choice, so we make no choice.

We don't consider ourselves career adults yet. We're not even sure we're adults. We miss college and high school and its lack of responsibility besides homework, utility bills and a social life. We're an older version of Peter Pan, without the power of flight (and we think pirates are cool).

We're not "emo" or emotional. In fact, sometimes we're so lost in space or thoughtful about god-knows-what that we appear blank, flat, indifferent apathetic and even anti-social. We look like we're on meds; we probably should be.

We were naive enough to think that choosing the college major we loved the most over the college major we'd profit from the most would be a good idea, and now, in our mid twenties and in a job that has nothing to do with our desired major and pays only 50% more than what we made when we were in our teens, we realize we made a mistake. And we won't make that mistake like that again. We're not lazy, just undecisive because the last decision we made was a mistake.

We feel that the transition from teenager to adult and college world to career world was built-up to be such a giant, important, responsible step in our life that we're taking that step very carefully, if not in small steps over a long period of time. We simply feel like we're not ready to take a risk like being in the wrong, longterm job or relationship with the chance of failure looming over our heads.

We're the Nowhere Generation and we know we haven't gotten anywhere since college. And it's not that we don't care; we do! We care so much about our future that we'd rather go no way than the wrong way. Someday we'll encounter a path that we feel is the right one, and when that day comes, we'll finally get the hell out of this Nowhereville.

Sincerely,
    Jeff Larson

Movies that we relate to:

The Doom Generation
    Nowhere
    The Virgin Suicides
    Royal Tenenbaums
    Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
    Lost In Translation
    Donnie Darko
    Garden State

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Honestly it's not just our generation that suffers from that, all generations do. Very few know the meaning of life, humanity has never had a clear direction, but we knew that if we'd explore we may find new things wich could benefit for us. Don't look at it too gloomy, keep searching until you found what you are looking for. That counts for all of us and all the generations that come behind us.

3. It sounds to me like you feel all those things about your own life in particular.

4. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

http://www.google.com/search?q=twixters

5. johan

johan Active Member

Yep. That's it right there. If you read what was written in the 20's the same kind of zeitgeist pervaded then too. But then the war came and it kind of kicked everything into a whole other gear.

6. I see. Does this resonate with you at all - as though you feel that way too or just something you wanted to post to discuss?

7. Dont Go Away

Dont Go Away New Member

I completely agree also.

8. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

Just something I felt like writing. I feel this way. There's a new growing-step developing between teenager and adult and college student and career worker that's slowly being addressed.

9. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

P.S. Thank you for the responses.

10. dannycarey

dannycarey New Member

why do you think religions form? why do you think so many people escape through drugs? people have always felt this way. there's no finish line to cross or afterlife to achieve. all we will ever be is our problems and our ability to get over them. so just enjoy the ride. dont stress it, and everything will take care of itself. loose yourself in a waking life so beautiful.

11. Club 333

Club 333 New Member

Perfectly said

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

How old are you? I'm trying to determine which generation you're in...

13. hdiddy3000

hdiddy3000 OT Supporter

i agree

14. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

15. LiQuiD_FuSioN

LiQuiD_FuSioN New Member

Well done.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Ah ha! Yeah. Reactive Type. Tail end of Generation X.

"Generations: The History of America's Future" is a good book, that might help you understand your feelings more clearly.

17. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

another movie that you may like is Chungking Express. It's a HK produced film. The first part of the movie is non-relevant but the second half is.

just watch it.. it's my fav movie of all time. I should go watch it at work tonight.