The New Mac Mini

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Juvenall, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

I'm glad to see Apple finally getting on the ball with a system for $500. I may actually replace my old iMac with one of these. The price is right and the specs sound as good as any other system in the price range.

What do you think?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The only reason apple should release a cheap mac is to compete with entry-level pcs. However, this model STILL does not beat a PC $ for $. Yes it will convert some users, but overall, I think it has largely missed the boat. Another thread in "the mac shack" shows *typical* configs which bring the price beyond $1000 w/o monitor.

3. MrMan

MrMan New Member

no monitor... ehh.
    They only have cool looking case designs. Although it does look interesting and tempting.

4. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

dell's $499 machine has intel on-board video :greddy: (Mini has a Radeon 9200), a CD-ROM drive :greddy::greddy: (entry Mini has a DVD-ROM, CD+/- R/RW Combo Drive). dell's entry machine doesn't have firewire either. granted, it has a P4, but the rest of the machine is super weak.

make dell's machine as close as possible to the $499 Mini and suddenly it's over $600 (and that's after removing the monitor from Dell's system price). :)

On top of the hardware differences and the much smaller footprint of the Mac Mini...

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

...that $499 price also includes OS X...

http://www.apple.com/macosx/overview/

...and iLife '05...

http://www.apple.com/ilife/

And before anyone questions me, I've used Windows and Mac OS daily for several years, I own numerous Macs and numerous Windows PC's. At one time I was in charge of maintaining my employer's two rack's worth of web, database and chat servers. Most were running Windows, one was Running Red Hat Linux, another was running Mac OS 9. In other words, I am equally adept on both Windows and Mac platforms and not just a Mac only guy trying to defend the Mini just because it's a Mac. :)

The Mac Mini is killer for, among other things, guys who've been curious about OS X but didn't want to invest a lot of money or desk space on a Mac just for the sake of trying it out. This thing is a bargain and at 6.5" square and 2" tall, it takes up only slightly more space on your desktop than a CD case, and that's only if you don't turn it on it's side or stick it on top of your PC like you'd do with an external drive enclosure or whatever.

throw it on a USB compatible KVM switch and you can share your PC's current monitor, USB Keyboard and USB mouse with it, as most USB mice and keyboards and mice these days will work with OS X out of the box and the video card has VGA and DVI outputs, so it will work with pretty much any PC monitor supporting resolutions up to 1920 x 1200 on the DVI output or 1920 x 1080 on the VGA output.

an older friend of mine that has a 65" HDTV with DVI inputs is probably going to buy a Mac Mini and use the HDTV in his living room for his display. Throw a bluetooth keyboard and mouse on there and he can plop down on his couch and have one heck of a display whether he's using the full screen or has the Mac display thrown to the Picture-In-Picture display in the corner while he watches the game or whatever. :bigthumb:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  5. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

The mini Mac does not come with a monitor, keyboard or a 1 button ( :rofl: ) mouse. It also depends what you need a mac for, video editing ... sure go with Mac, for everything else i'll stick to a PC with windows or linux. Baffles me how Apple is still in business, must be that damn ipod keeping them affloat.

6. maczter

don't look now, your ignorance is showing. :mamoru:

7. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Looks cool. Gonna wait to see if there are any over-heating issues or frame degradation issues like the cube a long time ago.

But there are many pc's that the same size. I have a ton of them, 6x6x2, the size of a sega cd system and they all run linux. But they don't look as sleek though.

8. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

im afraid this craze is gonna get out of hand, i think i saw one of my coworkers tossing off to a gallery of mac mini pics....and i work at intel :S

9. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

See, I don't hate the Macs like I used to. When I was working at <a large online media company that runs websites about "all music">, I actually started to respect it as a nice glob of hardware.

I'd never replace my PC for one, but for some high end applications like ProTools, you just can't beet a Mac.

10. maczter

:mamoru::bowdown::bigthumb:

11. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I like it.