The neverending cable debate.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NeonWally, Jul 11, 2004.

1. NeonWally

NeonWally Guest

My brother is about to purchase a RP TV and asked me what cables he should buy to hook up his components. So I bring it to you Guru's of OT, I've heard Monster cables are a scam, I've hear the Acoustic Research makes some decent ones. Should I buy some cable and connectors from Parts express and make my own? Start braiding cat5? What?

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

IMO look for a cable that is decent quality, the RCA connector neither falls off nor has a death grip on the equipment, and it doesnt need to break the bank.

I have some cables that are a major PIA to unplug and I feel like I might break something just unplugging it.

3. 04

04 Guest

If possible, I'd build my own with high quality RG-6 or RG-59U. You can get some pretty decent rca connectors for a dollar or to also. However, I think you can get the AR component cables for around 15 dollars for a 3 foot set, so you may just want to get them.

4. NeonWally

NeonWally Guest

I'll probably just tell him to get the AR's, he's not real an AV-o-phile and the rest of his components aren't great, so the cables aren't going to be the bottleneck.

5. 04

04 Guest

With the distances we are talking and the relatively low frequency of the video signal, it wouldnt matter if his system was high end or not. :) IMO those AR cables wouldn't be the bottleneck in 99% of systems out there.

6. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

cables can not improve sound, but they can take away from it.