MIL The movie Jarhead infuriated me. *SPOILER WARNING*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by brackac, Dec 1, 2005.

1. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

I just sat through 2 hours of anti-military propaganda. Marines were portrayed as undisciplined bumbling idiots with an eye more towards their own personal body count than accomplishing the mission. The Air Force was either bombing a highway full of innocent civilians having a picnic, or firing upon their fellow Americans. When the Army was mentioned it was suggested that the Army regularly mishandles/degrades the bodies of the enemy. Add the homo-erotic undertones and the "WAR FOR OIL" message, and I would think that Michael Moore wrote and directed this movie.

I would never say that this was a good movie about the military.

2. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

Friendly fire was definitely a factor during desert storm. It's reality and the movie portrayed one incident of it, I don't see the problem. As for the marines being portrayed as idiots... it was noted the one guy was going to be kicked out for his actions/behavior. He was the only really over the top idiot in the movie IMO.

3. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

:ugh: its an anti-military book that it was based on.
    and even then, they never showed innocents being bombed while having a picnic. They showed that highway of death where millions of iraqi soldiers trying to escape kuwait in civilian vehicles were pulverized by the airforce
    as nixtress mentioned, friendly fire played a HUGE role in desert storm. I dont remember much war for oil shit, other than it was raining oil, which happened during Desert Storm.
    As for the army portrayal, its a marine talking. They say shit like that for everything. Hey, what are you doing using blue ink, that shit might fly in the army but it wont happen in my corps. I hear them saying stupid shit like that all the time. If I ever saw a soldier doing that, id probably tell him that this isnt the marine corps, we aint a bunch of brainwashed psychos. Its just some shit to say.
    I figured youd know this shit, having been in for a while

4. brackac

Maybe I paid to close attention to the movie. I saw nothing but scene after scene of "supposed" negative events in regards to the military. The scene on the highway of death mainly centered around the reaction to 3 dead guys sitting around as if they were having tea prior to being bombed. Less we forget that the civilian vehicles on that road were stolen from Kuwaitis that were raped, tortured, and then murdered. Yes friendly fire is a part of war, but the only two scenes with the Air Force were both negative. The entire movie was negative. Marines came across as war mongers with no regards to why they were there or accomplishing the mission.

5. bigfodee

bigfodee Active Member

helllllllllllllll no

he lied about some prior to get in. i know ppl that kept a few things under wraps, and i would say a majority of them are above average marines. they WANT to be there.

pinchy face was the worst. he had no respect for anything or anyone and his character really really pissed me off. we are far from all being well-behaved, but that shit stays in house. we dont go for looking like an asshole to civilians....

i dunno even how to explain what i mean, but that movie portrayed the exact opposite of everything you hear about like honor and discipline that separates Marines from other brances

6. brackac

That is the exact feeling I came away with. Sadly I hear guys in my unit talk about how great the movie was, and how it made them feel proud to be in the military.

7. MumblingJoe169

it wasnt a positive film about the military, but it was what it was
    maybe since i read the book, i didnt go in expecting it to be something it wasnt. I've seen both sides of the military, so I know how it can be for some people.
    If that movie makes you proud to be in the military, well then, thats definately an interesting perspective...i guess its like all the marines that watch full metal jacket and get a hard on for it, even though its an anti-war movie(even though every war movie is pretty much anti-war)

8. Socrates

Socrates New Member

The way the Marines acted was pretty much how i've always seen Marines act, except we know how to act when were just around each other, and when were in public.

Honestly, in SOI, it was worse than high school. The whole platoon would crack up everytime someone farted, or we would play the most childish retarded games you could think of just to entertain ourselves.

The public won't see that though :mamoru:.

9. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

:mamoru:
    Thats the way basic was, fart jokes are allways funny

10. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Haha yeah.

Standing on line for evening BDR (hygiene inspection) was the most fun ever. We had all kinds of fun shit going on.

Probably the funniest thing I ever saw was my buddy pulled his tighty whities up his ass like a thong, so whenever the DI was like "Post!" then "Post, aye-aye, Sir!" ---- "Sobek, you dumbass...good...we'll play....SCRIBE! 2 hours firewatch for Sobek because he wants to be nasty."

11. eter

eter New Member

pretty much all serious war movies are anti-war (ibtopgun :mamoru:) ... might just take a little longer for it to get popular in military circles, like FMJ, apocalypse now and platoon are even if they are very critical of the vietnam war..

12. brackac

Everyone should be anti-war, I am talking about the anti-military message the movie carried.

13. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

:hsugh:
    If it's accurate, it's not "anti-military".

14. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

I just watched this movie today as a matter of fact.
    I did not think that this movie was anti-war or even anti-military. I just thought this movie portrayed how shit happens to soldiers.

Lots of innocent lives were taken in Desert Shield, but it wasn't the only war where innocent lives were taken. Friendly fire happens as well.

And the whole "That shit may fly in the Army" is just a Marine making fun of a (real) Soldier :o Army does it to Marines.

And those marines clowning around during the NBC demo, it happens, but maybe not in front of the media, but it happens....minus the "field fuck" portion. At least my unit has never done that.

I think the dummest part about the movie that I could find was at the very end. When they were letting rounds off like crazy. Maybe during 1989-1990 they allowed that kind of stuff, but in 2001-2005 (when I was in) that shit would not fly.

Just my 2 cents.

15. cossack

cossack Resident thread killer

what the fuck are you trying to do put us out of a job!

16. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Am I the only one that wanted to get up and leave when they got back to camp after not being able to take out the target and everyone in the camp was firing up in the air like a bunch of muslim jihadists? Or when they started stripping and acting like shit in front of the reporters? :ugh:

The barracks pranks I can see. The being pissed at missing the opportunity to take out their target I can understand. And I can see where they would want to include at least one friendly fire incident in a war movie. But over and over throughout the movie I felt like here was a good cast of actors that once again were fucking up a good chance to make a decent war movie.

17. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

:rofl::rofl:

You guys seemed to get away with more fun stuff like that than we did :hs:

18. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

-Kyu

19. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

"Pinchy" face is who I am referring to. During the incident with the dead body Jamie F's character says his actions aren't those tolerable by the Marines and he is going to be kicked out when they redeploy.

I am not referring to the guy that was being forced out due to lying about a prior conviction before he joined.

20. MumblingJoe169

its just a movie, im not gonna walk out of it cause of one silly scene
    i have no idea where that scene at the end came from
    i do know troops in kuwait were a complete mess when the war was declared over. They must have just been tired of being over there. Remember the beginning of 3 Kings. It was alot like that, just partying and shit. Dont know about letting rounds fly though.

The acting like shit in front of reporters, its just a bunch of lower enlisted being lower enlisted. Theres arent NCOs and Officers acting nasty, its a bunch of retarded privates. Shit happens.

21. bigfodee

bigfodee Active Member

oh. then :bigthumb:

22. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

I remember when I was being interviewed by a local news paper reporter in Hawaii about this training thing about the army. Let just say that we are highly encouraged to be positive when it comes to the media and being in the military.

23. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Some shitbag who got paid.

24. Patch

Patch New Member

:werd: The way they acted in the movie was just plain wrong. We would get our asses kicked if we ever did that. And yes I am a private as well. Being proud of wha you do means acting like it all the time, especially when the media, and hence the world, are watching.

25. brackac

It wasn't factual either. Like I said in a previous post he took multiple stories that I have heard ever since enlisting in 1992 and rolled them into one.