The Mote in God's Eye

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Joe_Cool, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

By Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

Has anybody else read this? It's a really good book that I picked up at a used bookstore for like $1. As science fiction books go, this is one of the best and most realistic. There's no warp speed or faster than light travel. There's no exotic weapons.

For interplanetary travel, they go at 1g, 2g, whatever (I think 4g or 5g is the max for emergencies) for half the trip, then turn the ship around and decelerate at the same rate for the other half the trip. For weapons, they use actual lasers that need to burn through the target's hull to do damage.

So anyway, it's the human race's first contact with an alien race. I don't want to give away the story for you who haven't read it yet, but it's very good. I recommend it highly.

There are a few sequels, too, but I haven't read them yet.

2. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

ive read it and a couple of the sequels... larry niven is my favorite 'hard' science fiction writer. it's probobly been a good 4 years sinc ive read anything from him though :hs:

i loved how the humans would wait by the portal for the alien ships to jump into human space (i foget how it actually happend) and then lob nukes at them :rofl: poor aliens

3. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Yeah but they asked for it, those cheeky bastards!

BTW, I had forgotten about the jumps - how do they work? Do you remember?

4. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

i dunno.. i think it was something like the mote creatures didn't have a way to get off their planet, then man came down to investigate them and they learned from our technology, and for some reason they would always 'apear' near a certain spot away from their planet, where we'd lay waste to them :o

5. anjego

anjego Invading your economy!

i read it years ago, refresh my memory of what it's about? :dunno:

i dont recall it being that good or remarkable. however if you like the "hard stuff" definitley check out "A Fire Upon the Deep" by Vernor Vinge. amazing book.