GUN The more I learn about self defense shooting and home defense...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xpinchx, Sep 22, 2008.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

the less I ever want to have to use my gun. :hs: I'll be 100% honest and say that before I took my CPL and NRA home defense class, I kind of fantasized about one day getting to use my gun to defend myself or someone I love. Really all I can say now is wow, I had a lot of misconceptions about shooting in self defense especially dealing with the law. Our instructor gave us a couple of crazy examples, such as you see a woman get pulled into a van while she's screaming 'rape!'. Do you get involved? My initial response was to intervene if I could do so safely. "It turns out those are two undercover officers arresting a hooker during a sting operation. If you draw on them you've not commited felonious assault on a police officer and obstructing them from doing their duties, and you put your life in risk." :eek3: So yeah 9/10 times it's probably best to be a good witness and don't put yourself in harm's way if it's avoidable.

Also, I probably wouldn't have considered someone with a knife 30 ft away to be a serious threat, but that was also a huge misconception. I got a lot of one-on-one training during my range session because it was just me and one other guy that day. The instructor set me up 10 yards away from a target and the other guy had his hand on my back. When he was ready he would take off running behind me and I would draw from low ready and put two shots center mass into the target. I fired my first shot and he dropped his hat to show where he was at that point. First shot misses and second shot hits and the runner stops. At the first shot he had already ran about 20 feet and it would have missed, by the time I fired the second shot he would have already been on top of me. He ended up about 40 ft away.

Other than that I learned a lot about proper mindset and since we brought extra ammo and had lots of spare time we did some moving drills and malfunction drills. This class was 100% worth my money. The instructor was top notch (more than 200 hours of personal training, and he's been teaching for 15 years) and I got a lot of individual attention since there was a low turnout. He's teaching an advanced pistol course in October but I don't know if I'll have enough money to do it that soon. Also this was my first time shooting at defensive distances since my range only has 25 yards and slow fire only. I found that I'm pretty good at it and I'm very interested in IDPA now. :o

I see now why people like ShackleMeNot harp on people so much to get proper training now. :h5:

2. more off

more off Moderator

i'm prepared to use mine but not looking forward to it

a local range officer was explaining to me that how the more training you get
    the more it's used against you in court if/when you get caught shooting someone.

3. xpinchx

I could kind of see it... "more off has been trained specifically with one goal in mind: to kill another human being." :mamoru:

4. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Yeah it is a big hassle shooting someone. :hs:

5. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

This is why TX >*

Civil Immunity ftw

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

When being charged by a threat don't just stand and try to trade. Move defensively and circle. It's like a quarterback avoiding the blitz.

7. dano

dano OT Supporter

I've always said I'd only use my gun in two situations; when my life or someone else's close to me was in immediate danger, or if I came upon someone beating the shit out of someone else (domestic violence, someone getting beat in an alley, etc). In the second instance, I'd only use it to hold them until police can show up, I wouldn't shoot them. Kind of the same mindset as a storekeeper holding a robber until the cops show up.

100% sure I'd use it in the first instance, second, not so much.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Circle strafing works in video games and in life :noes:

[​IMG]

9. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

Illinois State Police: Think of someone else, vomit, or defecate on yourself.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Yes it does. Two parts though. You have to evade, and you have to be able to shoot accurately on the move.

11. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

Or spray and pray like a noob.

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

"suppressive fire"

13. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Yes, but you'll still go through lots of shit... Look at Joe Horn.

14. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Yea although its more proof that Quanell X is a complete fucking retard. I love how hes was saying hes going to get Joe Horn convicted even though every penal code says hes in the clear. But I forgot New Black Panthers now make the laws :coolugh:

Also another thing people were getting pissy about is the fact that he threatened deaf to the m an saying "move and your dead". Which is what they were trying to charge him with. So moral of the story just shoot and dont threaten

15. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

he went about it all wrong. he put himself in all the shit that he is in.

a lot of the times, if people would just change the way they tell their story, things would end up differently.

instead of saying "he was trying to hurt me and i killed him"

say something like "he was trying to MURDER me and i tried to stop him".. and thats all you should say. no other details should be given out unless its to your attorney. Most DA's love to go after cops who shoot people and ccw permit holders.

16. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

not reading it all right now, but if you're a sensible human being, you never want to have to draw on someone

17. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

"I was in fear for my life and I shot in self defense"

18. xpinchx

Dude, you just never know. If you try to get that guy off her and it's one of those situations "only he's allowed to beat me, but I need him so I'll make up whatever story to keep him out of jail." or if someone pulls a knife on somebody and gets disarmed and you end up shooting the guy that was trying to defend himself. :dunno: If it's just a scruff stay out of their business, if you honestly feel someone's life is in danger you can intervene and just get them to stop. Depending on the situation though it can be difficult to do without putting yourself in jeopardy.

19. more off

more off Moderator

you guys can never forget the effectiveness of 'pistol whipping'

if you find someone attacking someone in an alley, sneak up behind them and BAM knock em out. :hsd:

20. xpinchx

Still felonious assault, brandishing, etc. Again, you just never know. If it's a huge dude beating the shit out of a woman, maybe. I honestly wouldn't fuck around with getting into other peoples' business unless their life is really at risk. If a woman is getting slapped around get a good description of the guy and call it in. If you see two guys going at it in a parking lot stick around until the police show up and tell them who threw the first punch. If you see a hit and run, get the plate number and call it in. If you see someone about to get stabbed, that's when I would get involved.

21. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

"I was in fear for my life, I want to talk to a lawyer."

22. xpinchx

Wouldn't hurt to throw in a "I'm willing to cooperate."

23. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Couldn't hurt, though I wouldn't do any actual cooperating until I had legal council telling me that it was ok. Don't want to misword something and wind up in a whole lot more trouble, on have a headstrong DA after you.

Still saying you are willing to cooperate might get you a little better treatment.

24. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

If my gun is coming out of it holster, aside from being home or at the range, I'm bringing it out with malicious intent. I would take a horrific ass beating before I ever drew down on someone. It is certainly not a penis extension, nor do I see it as a tool to intimidate.

Personally, I think it's good that you think of these things and understand the repercussions. Some don't, and these people frighten me moreso than many "criminals".

CCW'ing is no joke, and it puts a LOT of responsibility on the carrier. I've had some heated chats with friends who were insistent on burning me at social gatherings, and have stopped going some places altogether because the risk/reward just wasn't there for me.

25. more off

more off Moderator

i meant the more serious incident life or death but you can just sneak in and pistol whip :mamoru: