GUN The missus wants a gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by no7fish, May 26, 2007.

1. no7fish

no7fish New Member

So my GF wants a gun right... I am not sure if it's the right idea or not to be honest. She's not completely careless, but her driving habits imply to me that she may not need to own one! I don't think she'll ND or anything really, but I am just concerned she may not understand the responsibilities involved with owning one. (I realize that this sounds far worse in type than the actual situation, Im just lightly concerned and worry too much i suppose)

Anyway, she is basically getting one whether I think she should or not. I am all about it in a way because it's her right, etc, etc. Also, she is moving to a different town for post-grad where she will live alone and doesn't really know many people yet.

I also owe her a graduation present.

Should I just go ahead and buy her a gun as a grad gift and make it my mission to make sure she understand the proper care/storage/use/etc??
    (she's not brand new, she's been shooting with me for a while and knows her way around them, just not completely fluent yet)

So if the answer is "hell yes, but that chick a weapon!" then what should I get her?? I was thinking something like Taurus PT-111 9mm. She's fine with recoil on my HK USPc .40 and even my Kimber UC2 but I think she will be more inclined to shoot more often if it's something a little easier on the wrists.

Any other suggestions? She's not really looking for a purse gun or anything so I think something mid-size to compact is the order of the day.... thoughts?
    Thanks!

2. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Your best bet is just to tell her to pickout a gun at the gunshop that she likes shooting, and then have her fill out the paperwork while your wallet gets thinner :bigthumb:

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

First if you pick the gun for her and make her hate shooting I'll come kick your ass myself. Take her to the gun store and have her hold guns, and if possible shoot them. Let her pick her gun. A sig p239 would be a good option to consider too if she has small hands.

How about taking a NRA safety class some weekend with her and include it as part of the gift. You'll be out a few bucks but you might feel better.

4. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Took my wife to the range a bunch of times and had her fondle a bunch of guns. She didn't get the kind I would have picked at all - liked the G19 the best.

That's pretty much all there is to it.

5. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

I have to echo the sentiments posted above. She should pick her weapon. Take her to the stores, take her to the range. Get her hands on as many as she wants to try until she finds the right one.

6. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Yeah, I suppose I should pay attention to the things I tell other people more often... I have been preaching the "try before you buy" concept for years. I just thought it would be really cool to spring it on her with a bow and all. It seems like she'll shoot anything really, she didn't seem to prefer any one of mine over the others.

Either way, we'll get her the right one. It's always good to bring someone over to our side too! haha

And don't worry, if I make her hate shooting I'll kick my own ass! But that's not a danger, don't worry. I am going to encourage her to hit a class though. I might get her to come enroll in the CC class when I take it for a NC permit.

7. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

if she likes your hk why dont you give her that? it gives you an excuse to go try and buy a new one. or are you not impartial to giving her a 900 dollar handgun since she is only your gf? :dunno:

8. no7fish

no7fish New Member

haha, it was only about 650 actually. Besides, I bought that the day I turned 21 so I'm not really willing to let it go, even if it does live in the safe mostly these days.