The mini speaker project

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JonDaAzn, Feb 8, 2005.

1. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

Okay, so I've decieded to start a project to try and teach myself basic wiring/building stuff skills, unfortunately, I pretty much know nothing about wiring or electrical engineering, okay but here is the project outline:

Goals:
    build a set of mini speakers that operates on an independent power source (9 volt battery?) from whatever they are plugged into, the speakers will be contained inside an Altoids container and be protected by a plexiglass shield (I am thinking about putting leds inside so they will light up the plexiglass so they will look like a mini car speaker system, but this might be too complex for my simple mind), the wiring will be somehow wound up into the tin, or I will just cut it and shorten it.

Supplies:
    two 1.5" speakers
    wiring and a plug
    9 volt battery
    plexiglass
    altoid's tin (need to buy)
    leds?

So, in order to complete this project I am going to need your electronic expertise, I just have a few questions
    1. How do I make the speakers draw power from the battery, but get signals from the player? (probably an ipaq pocket pc if that makes any difference)
    2. Any suggestions on bonding the speakers and plexiglass into the tin?
    3. Any other suggestions (e.g. other materials, advice)?

2. Furner

Furner New Member

so basically powered speakers inside an altoid can?

3. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

yes, I'm not sure it will all fit though, or how good the sound will be, its more of a fun project than something I intend on using a lot

4. Svt1612

Svt1612 New Member

your going to need a n amplifier circuit. A nine volt battery hooked to some speakers is jnot going to do squat.

5. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

6. Nurse_shocker

Nurse_shocker New Member

If you're looking to spend some money, and want to try something after.... There's a really good set of audiophile DIY speakers on audioreview.com Build this after a lot of practice, and you'll have yourself a relaly good set of bookshelf speakers.

7. Zemo

Zemo n00b of the year

That Cmoy tutorial is awesome, and how I got started in amp building WAY back when. And no, that isn't going to work for speakers. That amp is designed for headphones. high impedance, low wattage. You're looking for low impedance, high wattage amp. And no, there's no way you'll be able to fit it all into an altoids tin, unless you get some seriously small SMP circuitboards. I'd find the smallest pair of powered computer speakers you can, gut it, and put it in your own enclosure.

I forget the name, but some company made some guitar amps out of cigarette boxes....that might be what you're after. buy one, reverse-engineer, and go at it!

-Z

8. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

cool, but the "speaker" part of the "mini speaker" unit is just some speakers that i stole from a pair of headphones with a broken across the head thing, btw, i think you are talking about pocket amps, my friend has one, its pretty cool, just not very loud