MIL The Military enlisting convicts

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jonathan77, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Jonathan77

Jonathan77 Dreamer, Nostalgic with the state of mind

I did a quick google search and it seems they do but I couldn't find the information that I'm curious about. How many years minimum do they serve in the armed forces. Do they receive the same type of benefits/pay as a regular recruit would? Basically what is the same and what's different. Any input would be great~

2. Off

Off Memento Mori

Planning on robbing a bank?

3. Jonathan77

Negative. Curious since I know of someone who is supposedly on leave and claims he enlisted in the Marines as a convict. Apparently he's gotten shit pay to point where all he's got to his name is a little over grand in his bank account and a few medals for the 4 of 6 years served so far. Added to it, apparently he claims the Military sends him without any say to "dangerous missions" all over the world. It just peeked my curiosity that's all.

4. ethannv

ethannv :fawk: OT Supporter

that guy fed you some major caca del toro

5. Jonathan77

Please elaborate :squint:

6. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Convicts join on their own accord, with no distinction in pay or bennies. They probably do not receive a security clearance.

Your friend fed you a line of crap. You are gullible.

7. mangid

mangid OT Supporter

you're acting like they send convicts to the military out of prison as a punishment or something...

8. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

The Army is/was allowing waivors for certain felonies from what I read. Thats the extent of allowing "convicts" in the military.

9. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Probably not anymore though

10. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

11. smartypants

smartypants New Member

correct.

The dude was just trying to sound like Snake Pliskin

12. MrRyan

TS got trolled IRL

13. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Reminds me of my Mom's last 2 boyfriends - both of whom said they were in some secret Special Ops stuff in the past, one even said he was a SEAL, but his medals didn't match up - I ended up referring him to a guy at DOJ I know who talked to him about the Stolen Valor Act of 2005.

14. Jonathan77

Claims he's received 2 purple hearts, has been discharged from the marines due to injury and now apparently has been called back for service :ugh2:. What can I do to confirm that he is indeed lying about everything. Can I get his ID number or something and one of you can run a trace of records. Not sure how much you guys can do but given a situation which involves people I care about i'd like to get to the bottom of this.

15. ethannv

ethannv :fawk: OT Supporter

ask to see his DD 214

16. MrRyan

The best thing to do is to work through an organization like this:

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies.htm

Maybe not that exact website but there are a few others out there.

17. Jonathan77

I'm a skeptic by nature so I tend not to believe overzealous stories of any kind and I wanted to be absolutely sure a situation of his description could never happen. If this guy is ultimately lying and conjuring up stories of heroism and brutality, then I'd like to get to the bottom of it a.s.a.p.. A friend of mine is letting him stay at his place until he gets "called" back into service in 4 months and I just don't want to wait to find out until something terrible happens that he's been harboring a psychopath. However, he is claiming he went into service in 2006 which coincides with the information provided above about felons given the option to serve in lieu of a sentence. His supposed sentence was a choice between serving in the military or serving a sentence for Human Trafficking. Information I found regarding official policy below.

In the "Old Days," it wasn't unusual for a criminal court judge to give an adult "youthful offender" the choice between prison or joining the military.

After the beginning of the "All Volunteer Force," (introduced at the end of the vietnam war - July 1, 1973) this practiced ceased -- probably because the military services began imposing restrictions on the enlistment of those arrested or convicted for most criminal offenses.

in times of war the military will do whatever is required to get conscripts but military regulations expressly forbid people joining instead of jail sentences ...

The Army addresses this issue in the Army Recruiting Regulation, Army Regulation 601-210, paragraph 4-8b: "Applicant who, as a condition for any civil conviction or adverse disposition or any other reason through a civil or criminal court, is ordered or subjected to a sentence that implies or imposes enlistment into the Armed Forces of the United States is not eligible for enlistment.."

The Air Force Recruiting Regulation, AETCI 36-2002, table 1-1, lines 7 and 8, makes an applicant ineligible for enlistment if they are "released from restraint, or civil suit, or charges on the condition of entering military service, if the restraint, civil suit, or criminal charges would be reinstated if the applicant does not enter military service."

The Marine Corps Recruiting Regulation, MCO P1100.72B, Chapter 3, Section 2, Part H, Paragraph 12 states: "Applicants may not enlist as an alternative to criminal prosecution, indictment, incarceration, parole, probation, or other punitive sentence. They are ineligible for enlistment until the original assigned sentence would have been completed."

In the Coast Guard, enlistment prohibition is contained in the Coast Guard Recruiting Manual, M1100.2D, Table 2-A.

note that convicted criminals after serving their time can in certain instances join

So... how should I approach this to corner him into knowing that I know he's full of shit and needs to confess what he's really up to? Already considered the DD214 but I'd like to confront him in full with evidence gathered without him suspecting anything.

18. MrRyan

Again, I don't think that's your responsibility - short of telling your buddy that he's being taken for a fool. Report the guy to the organization I listed above then turn around and tell your buddy that he's being lied to. We're all adults and short of you calling him on his bullshit in a public setting - no need for you to go out of your way and "out him".

Am I making any sense?

19. Jonathan77

Buddy of mine is gullible and won't do anything about it. More than likely instead of outing him in a public place and causing a scene, i'll do it privately since I'm not trying to destroy the guy in front of people. Just trying to protect a friend of mine. I'll go ahead and report it to the organization. Question, what exactly will this organization do?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  20. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

They put out contracts on posers.