the legaility of 'hacking'

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DustinInTheWind, Mar 26, 2009.

1. okay, i am not going to talk about hacking or ask to hack or anything like that, but my question is this:

what is the legality of talking about it? I know that in forums, including this one, you cannot talk about it. i assume this is for fear of legal action, yet when i watch videos from Defcon, i see presentations titled "hacking a mssql box in under 5 minutes"

so what is the deal?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

They simply don't want to be on anyone's radar, that's all. If the board was hosted on the Ivory Coast, this would all be a moot point.

3. i understand that, but check this site out:
    securitytube.com
    all these ppl have their names on their vids and everything and they dont seem to care that the subject matter is really illegal lol

4. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Hacking isn't illegal. :FYI:

There is a website set up specifically for people to hack it. It has a variety of pages and in order to get to the next difficulty of pages you have to hack it.

This is intro to web page hacking 101. However, the principle is the same.

It's illegal when you hack something that you do not have permission to hack. Anything you own, you can hack. The only thing to add to that is, say you figure out how to hack something, exploiting that for profit or harm to someone else in any way is also illegal.

Thus, you can post videos of yourself hacking anything all day long so long as you have the right to be hacking it and aren't selling the video as a how-to.

5. 7960

7960 New Member

Do you own your xbox? It's illegal to hack it.....do you own it?

That's the key.

6. lightsareout

lightsareout New Member

but the reason to hack it is to steal games and other information you would otherwise pay for

7. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

That would be criminal intent that the prosecutors would have to establish.

8. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Bingo.

I can use my Xbox hardware (which I own) however I please. It's the software which I can't modify with criminal intent.

Outside of the gaming world, Microsoft allows people to hack their software, it lets their engineers find holes and make patches. Hell you can join the group that gets all of the Beta software ahead of time (pre-public release) and they ask you to hack it.

9. 7960

7960 New Member

nope. DMCA makes it questionable whether you have the right to hack an xbox, even if it's to cook Easy-Bake oven cakes.

right, with their permission, which is why I said "so long as you have the right to be hacking it " is the key.

10. gotcha. that makes much more sense to me now.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's a violation of civil contract law to hack your Xbox, because you implicitly agree to be bound by the terms of the EULA when you use it. It is not, however, a criminal offense unless you actually steal intellectual property from the code therein.

12. mutantpotato666

mutantpotato666 New Member

Basically its the intent of the user doing the hacking... if its purpose is to benefit the user by stealing or destroying the hacked object/website/computer, that can be considered criminal intent and is frowned upon in most societies... on the other hand, hacking for beneficial purposes or the teaching of hacking as a preventative, doesn't actually pose any threat and is considered legal

13. 7960

7960 New Member

This is completely wrong

14. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

15. HYBR|D

HYBR|D Beep Beeeeee'p

When will people learn it's cracking...:mamoru:

16. deusexaethera

I for one already know it's cracking, but hacking is the term that's ingrained in the public memory.

Besides, hacking is also cracking when the thing you're cracking is a stupid agreement intended to keep you from innovating on someone else's platform, or (more cynically) to try to scare you into not modifying your stuff just to prevent the .01% chance you'd be stupid enough to file a warranty claim if you break it.

17. deusexaethera

It would be better to say that people look the other way when white-hats do their thing, because they provide a useful service. It's still not "legal", per se, but there are a few different kinds of laws: ones intended to prevent behavior harmful to society, ones intended to absolve government of responsibility for the consequences of people who break them, and ones intended to be used against only those people who break them with malicious intent. Hacking/cracking laws generally fall into the third category, though litigators very much enjoy it when they're interpreted as falling into the first category.

18. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

Nobody cares about the difference between hacking and cracking anymore.

19. cracking hacking w/e

20. mutantpotato666

now im really lost... wut is the difference between hacking and cracking???

21. Krakerjak

Krakerjak Active Member

You might crack a program so you don't have to buy the software or register for it

You might hack a program to change the color or look of it

the difference is really malicious intent

22. mutantpotato666

well the way hacking on hackthissite.org is portrayed... basically they r saying that they r allowed to teach hacking as a learning tool and the fact that they just allow the environment to learn in secret with gentle nudges in the right directions of where to look... its pretty fun if u think of all the missions as different puzzles

23. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Not true. The EULA applies to the software on the xbox, same with the DMCA protections. You own the hardware and can do as you please, you just can't modify the existing firmware on the box. You can legally blow the firmware away and use the hardware as you see fit. You can also do anything that the firmware allows, including taking advantage of exploitable flaws in the firmware, in order to repurpose the hardware. You just can't do it for the purpose of breaking DRM on the games (DMCA again).