MIL The "Joining The Military FAQ" v.army/navy/marines/airforce/coastguard

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ranger-AO, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

In coming up with things for a buddy to know/memorize before he heads to Army basic, I realized that our FAQ has a gaping hole for each of the branches.

I can't do much for the other branches, but I'll start collecting info for Army. If others can put together the same thing for their branch we'll add it all to the FAQ. Over time I'll most likely combine the various posts into a single post for each branch to help keep it readable for the potential recruit.

So come up with a "must know" list for the dumbass schmuck that thinks he's worthy of wearing your uniform. We'll refine the lists over time and eventually come up with some very useful stuff.

2. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Do you want things like:

"don't go in OPEN general"

"Don't ask about living off-base at your first assignment. You will probably not be able to unless you are married".

That type of stuff?

3. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

you MUST ask a question in this format " I NEED a head call sir !"

4. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

wat no lol

5. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Navy (disclaimer a lot of this stuff, especially bootcamp was nearing 5 years ago so it may have changed a little by now)

- When you are enrolled in DEP ask the recruiter for your DEP book. It should be less than 100 pages, mostly information but in the back will be a section you need to get signed off. If you fully complete your DEP book you will get advanced to E2 right off the bat. It is easy stuff... basic military knowledge. You'll also need to complete a PFA with your recruiter. Honestly the week you spend on this is better than waiting the 9 months it takes to be advanced. Not sure if the other branches have a similar deal.

- Recommend you know your chain of command before going to boot, it is one of those things that seems to take some people a long time to learn but it will put you a step ahead if you already know it.. everyone from commander and chief down to whatever your services head military figure is.

- Know basic facing commands. Another thing that you can practice with your recruiter or friends in DEP. About face, left face, right face, etc. If you can get them to teach you how to march would be even better. Full blown marching commands (which I don't even remember now since I haven't marched since bootcamp) might be hard with only a few people, but if you can do basic stuff you'll be set.

- If you're a military brat sign up for an account at
    https://advancement.cnet.navy.mil. You're already in DEERS so it should let you, I made one before I joined and got my Basic Military Requirements knocked out. It is no longer a requirement, but you learn a lot from it. If you are going into a technical rate you might as well do some of the NEETS modules which are just big books that teach you about your rate and then you answer some multiple choice questions at the end. These are not required for advancement anymore, but they definitely give you an advantage over those who don't do them.

- When you pick orders please go to a ship first. Very few rates will learn their job on shore duty (air rates and maybe supply rates) so not only will you be at a huge disadvantage when it comes to advancement tests, but you will go to a ship with 3-4 years in afterwards, expected to know how to do your job because you've been in 3-4 years, and you'll be clueless.

I'll add more later as I think of stuff. :cool:

6. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

That's all good info, but for this I'm looking for things like:

(ARMY)
    Memorize the Soldiers Creed
    Memorize the three General Orders
    Memorize the Enlisted, Officer, and Warrant ranks
    Memorize the Army unit structure (team, squad, platoon, company, etc.)
    Definitions of abbreviations and terms like TTP, METT-C, etc...

And extra credit stuff for subjects that usually give new soldiers problems, like:
    Tips and links for Military Land Nav
    Immediate action for an M16 malfunction (SPORTS)
    Remedial action for an M16 malfunction
    9-Line Medevac Request
    9-Line IED/UXO Report

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  7. BEAST MODE!

BEAST MODE! New Member

8. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

Marine Recruit Training

Show up with nothing but the clothes on your back, everything will be provided
    Don't study anything, everything will be taught to you
    Don't speak for any reason to anyone, everything will be taken care of

9. idx730

idx730 New Member

Word to the Smart Recruits!!!!!!!

This stuff should be a given, but make sure your PHYSICALLY PREPARED. Boot camp will be hard enough, don't make it harder because you didn't work out or train. If you can pass the IST with little or no problems, your good to go. If you struggle on 2 out of 3 sections, start training or your Drill Instructors will make sure you regret it. I highly recommend doing a Cross Fitness program like P90x or finding a local gym that does Cross Fitness training.

Also, if your like me and you prefer hot weather, try to go to boot camp during the summer time or vice versa if you prefer cold weather. You may have to go when your called, but most poolees have some choice in this one. I shit you not, Parris Island has some of the craziest weather I have ever seen, so you want to be there during the time of year that's best for you to train in.

Last but not least, remember why your going there and what motivates you to keep going and you will walk across that parade deck.:bigthumb:

10. idx730

idx730 New Member

Church is a Recruit's best friend!

Oh and one last thing, don't be the idiot that asks what getting "slayed" or "thrashed" is to a Drill Instructor (or any question for that matter). We had one dumb recruit ask on Training Day 1 right after the Drill Instructors demonstrated what being IT'ed was.:nono:

He regretted asking that question for 12 more weeks. :bash:

If you have any questions about boot camp while at boot camp, ask a fellow Recruit at Church on Sunday.

11. jonno

jonno New Member

make sure you put your name tape on the correct side so you are not called private US ARMY the first day of basic :o

12. jonno

jonno New Member

- the army song

oh... should be kinda obvious but work on push ups, sit ups, and your 2 mile run. sprints 30/60's and 60/120's helped me more than i could ever imagine. you dont want to be the guy stressing out when the final PT test comes.

13. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

WE have ours sewn on for us (AF) but a guy in my BT Flights name was MAY they put it on as YAM
    For the AF dont get advice from anyone who hasnt been to BT in 5 years it has totally changed (from what I have heard) Dont sweat BT its not that big of a deal. Know what you want to do before you go to MEPS and if anything is promised have it in writing.

14. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

Navy:

Learn the Sailor's Creed
    Learn the 11 General Orders of a Sentry

Memorize the following:

"Good morning/afternoon/evening Petty Officer. Seaman Recruit xxxx, Division xxx forward compartment watch, standing by for further instruction."
    (after 12 years i still remember that)

Memorize the Navy Song.

GET A RATE BEFORE YOU SIGN YOUR CONTRACT! DO NOT DO AN "APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM"! YOU WILL BE CHIPPING PAINT.

A couple good rates to get into are Electronics Technician (a shit ton of schools), Information Systems Technician (also a lot of schools), and Cryptological Technician Interpreter (pretty much guaranteed to make first class your first time up). All of these rates will probably get you a good job when you get out.

As mentioned, your first command should be a ship. Usually the top of the class in school gets first pick of the orders, so try to do good. Go to a Burke Class destroyer, i cannot stress this enough. They are hands down the best ships in the navy. you'll be on a first name basis with pretty much everyone, you hit good ports that the bigh ships can't go to, the food's decent, and they never run out of hot water.

Back to the whole school thing. I went to both AC and OS "A" school. From what I experienced, they pretty much teach you everything you need to know for the tests in class, so pay attention. I did hardly any studying, and I was 3rd in class at OS school and 1st at AC school. I can't really speak for other schools. You'll also have the opportunity to go to "C" schools during your career, get as many as possible. They focus on specific areas of your rate, rather than the broad overview you get at "A" school.

Don't buy a car in Virginia

Actually, just stay away from Virginia all together.

Don't get a bitch preggers in school, wrap your tool.

15. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

Learn the CoC as much as you can before, and as soon as you get there.

Learn how to address NCOs, officers, and WOs.

Even though D&C is being slowly phased out, knowing commands and preparatory commands is very helpful

Take long walks with a heavy backpack. Get back muscles used to carrying a good amount of weight for a minimum of 3 miles

Get in shape

If you've never been away from home, take a 2-3 week trip, alone if possible. Once away from the nest you won't get homesick

Remember it's all for a purpose. Getting smoked is to get you in shape but also to get you to learn quick. Things don't always make sense but they happen for a reason.

Don't leave your weapon anywhere.

learn PMI, I'm sure there are resources available.

Write home and make sure you have people willing to write you daily, even if it's to say nothing. Letters help and contrary to rumors not every Company in basic gets to have phone calls (we didn't).

Don't stand out, don't fall behind. When responsibility or leadership is needed or assigned to you, step up to the plate.

16. gaara46

gaara46 OT Supporter

do not say thank you or please (to drill sergeant)

do not use your rifle like a cane

know your chain of command

have all inspectable items with you always (id card, hand sanitizer, etc)

dont do anything that makes you stand out, you will get fucked with.

be at the right spot in the right uniform on time.

SOUND OFF especially while marching with your platoon singing cadence

17. Wilshire

Wilshire New Member

18. mangid

mangid OT Supporter

All of the above is correct. IT (Information system tech) is the best rate in the navy, hands down. Tons of shore billets, even straight out of A-school. Top secret clearance, A-school is in Pensacola florida, and now they're giving A+ certifications and even more extensive training than when I went a year ago. Very very lucrative in the civilian side when you get out. We don't do SHIT on ships compared to anyone else. We always have internet email and phones, Facebook all day every day, etc. In port we're always the first ones off.

Whatever you do, don't pick an amphib as a ship... especially not an LPD. Amphibs are on a fucked up deployment rotation. My ship had a 6 month turnaround between a 7 month and a 9 month deployment, and most of the 6 months was spent out to sea on workups. The new LPDs that they're coming out with are total clusterfucks, half of them can't deploy and there's nothing but problems all around. Small deck ships are where it's at.

And yes... stay out of virginia. Get west coast US if you can.

As far as boot camp... nothing I can help you with there.

RANK. If you have college credits, make sure the recruiter documents them so you can get E2 or E3 off the bat instead of waiting 9 or 18 months to make E3. Do your gay little DEP book to get advanced, it's free money and free rank. Also, if you hold some type of "office" in boot camp (RPOC, AROC, shit like that... you'll see what I mean when you get there) you can get advanced by your RDC to E2 or E3 in boot camp. By the time you hit the fleet, you should have zero excuse for being an E1 still, regardless of your rate. Nothing sucks worse than being a seaman or below on a ship.

19. billy bonka

billy bonka OT Supporter

20. Alexqzilla

Alexqzilla New Member

The Air Force and Coast Guard pretty much won't take you if you don't go in Open in a certain field, right?