MIL The JAG program v.ihaveaquestion

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BlackBeard, Dec 2, 2006.

1. BlackBeard

BlackBeard Shiver me Timbers

Recently, I have become very interested in the JAG program. I would be interested in hearing opinions . . . My main interest is the programs reputation with other officers and enlisted crew.

thanks in advance for all serious replies.

2. EYOB

EYOB Guest

3. BlackBeard

4. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

They are a bunch of douchebags and I love the service that they do.

5. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

They're JAG.

they have a job to do :dunno:

6. BlackBeard

:bowdown:

I am more interested in an intelligence job (see other thread), but the FSO asking my dean, and my dean recommending me, has intrigued me...

7. EYOB

EYOB Guest

I don't think we have any JAG or S2 personel on this forum.

So aside from hearsay, I don't think you'll get much feedback.

I have never seen a JAG office(r) and have no feedback to give.

8. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

I came in here to post this.

9. BlackBeard

hearsay is exactly what im looking for actually...

10. scottiemac

scottiemac It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

I knew a few people who worked for the JAG. They seemed decent. Luckily I've never had to talk to them under bad circumstances.

11. BlackBeard

my main concern is that I respect military personnel A WHOLE LOT, and I guess I would have a problem passing judgment on thier actions....which is in a sense what I would have to do. Also, I would never see combat, and its kind of douchebaggery (word?) To judge something you have never done yourself no?

12. BlackBeard

explain please.:hs:

13. BlackBeard

ok

14. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Mostly they put people out of the military for DUI, rape, etc.

15. BlackBeard

ahh...so I should look at it more like cleaning house of undeserving servicemen/woman?

:x: ;)

16. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

I'm a student judge advocate in the Marine Corps (I'm commissioned but finishing law school). I worked at the legal center at Parris Island last summer. I can understand your concern for having to "attack" the actions of others for their actions is situations in which you may not be experienced with. But you will not be passing judgment on them. You'll merely be presenting one side of the story. The defense attorney will be showing the other side and then the members (the jury, selected from all types of MOSes including those who do have similar experiences to the accused) pass the judgment.

*edit- Additionally, your "I'll never see combat" comment is pretty optimistic. Depending on which branch you choose, it is possible that you could be deployed. Granted you most likely will never been in command of a unit that intentionally looks for contact, it is entirely possible that you could be attacked while you are performing your duties. Many JA's are charged with civil affairs type duties, requiring them to go outside the wire. Such duties might include criminal investigation and providing reimbursement to Iraqi civilians who had their property damaged by errant U.S. artillery/bombs.

A recent article in the Marine Corps Gazette ( http://www.marinecorpsgazette-digital.com/marinecorpsgazette/200611/?pg=81&search=JA ) stated that many infantry commanders are viewing the expertise offered by JAs on laws of war and rules of engagement as a force multiplier in combat, allowing the commanders to make crucial decisions much faster. As such, JAs will likely be attached more regularly to infantry batallions. The Marine Corps' Judge Advocate Corps in that all JAs are unrestricted line officers and have the training to theoretically lead a rifle platoon, so this type of synergy with the infantry may be easier than it would be in other branches.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is that you should know what you are getting into because although you most likely will do trial work for most of your service time, you very well may end up in Iraq doing something completely different.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  17. BlackBeard

How do you view the interactions between a JAG and non JAG military personnel...

for example,

Do the same things that apply to all officers apply to JAG's? Or are they their own seperate little world?

how is the chain of command structured?

thanks for all the info in advance.
    I am becoming more and more interested :)

18. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

If you are in the military pretty much everything applies to you that applies to others in the military. The JAG community is very small so I suppose it may be slightly more lax since you know everyone. I think what you are really getting at is if JAG officers are not respected by their peers. Again, I think this is probably branch specific. In the Marines, all officers go through the same training before going to their MOS schools (10-12 weeks at OCS and 6 months a The Basic School). This means that we've gone through a lot of the same things and can relate well with the other officers. I imagine there is some elitism (which is well deserved) when an officer in a combat arms MOS deals with a non combat arms MOS like supply, JAG, civil affairs, etc. In non-Marine JAG Corps, the Judge Advocates (and Doctors) get to skip the initial training that their officer peers have to go through. I would imiagine this would breed a small amount of anymosity.

The chain of command is the same througout the military (some different names for different ranks), so I'm not really sure at what you are trying to get at. Perhaps you are wondering how it works as far as if a Colonel was on trial, could a Captain or a Major defend him?

Since you are in law school, the Navy, Air Force, and Army all offer summer internship programs that allow civilians to work at a military law center and get experience before they have to make the commitment of joining. The Marine internship requires that you already be an officer, so you don't qualify for that one.

I would recommend you do some more research about the different branches and what they have to offer. Each branch has its pros and cons. For instance the Army has the largest JAG Corps (which sets you up with an extensive network should/when you leave the military) and the Air Force has modern bases but the risk of being stuck in middle America, etc. You can check out the actual branch home page for officer info as well as visiting the OCS forums such as www.armyocs.com , www.marineocs.com , etc, as they have extensive information from thos with personal experience that will probably be more reliable than the somewhat biased info that might appear on a .mil website.

19. BlackBeard

I think this is basically answering all my questions, like I said, I read a substantial amount of literature on the websites, but I wanted someone that could cut through the bs....

thanks for all the help, and I will keep you posted.
    I want to test my mettle just like other officers, so if I do it I will be joining the marines.