MMA the Ignorance in the main forum is astounding

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Maestro Nobones, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

2. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

I think the majority of people are just joking.

3. RMarks

RMarks New Member

haha, there was just a thread on another forum I read about a top MMA fighter not being able to beat a pro boxer. The argument was the pro boxer punches to fast and to hard that he wouldn't be able to be taken down, the guy came to the conclusion because "boxers are paid more so therefore they get better training"

4. JustGod

JustGod New Member

Yeah, but not all. CyberLeader reminds me of someone I know locally who trains kung-fu. It's like they are trained to recite the arguments word for word. "Too deadly." "Takes real skill." "Can't apply it unless it's a life and death situation."

5. Maestro Nobones

I love the scratch and bite argument in there too.

Jesus christ, what makes people think that kicking in the nuts and scratching the eyes is some all-playing-field-leveling advantage? I guess they don't realize that MMA guys have the ability to do those things in a real fight too :hsugh:

6. Section 8

Section 8 New Member

Yeah I saw that one.Wasn't his main argument that more MMA fighters have died than boxers(which isnt true)?

7. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

God, you could never get a serious topic in the main forum.

8. Lance1019

Lance1019 Get ready for a punch in the dick!

Weren't there a couple boxers that fought in the earlier UFC's (and got their shit kicked in)? Or is it the "pro" thing that makes them such brick walls?

9. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I would be curious as to what a BIG TIME boxer like a Mike Tyson or Lennox Lewis would do in the Octagon... They'd be fucked if it went to the ground but the fight would be over instantly if a single punch landed with those little gloves... I'm not saying I'd pick a boxer to win, but I think anyone who hits hard enough has a puncher's chance...

As for people dieing... Isn't boxing considered more dangerous because they person has 10 seconds to get up after being ko'ed... Once they have already been concussed, it becomes even more dangerous for them to take further punishment. MMA fights are stopped INSTANTLY when someone goes out...

10. Maestro Nobones

also in boxing there is much less in the ruleset that allows you to defend your head, so you get beaned a shitload more. In MMA you can block, cover, clinch, etc to avoid eating punches

11. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

the mentality is just retarded in the main forum.
    Most of them have not even seen Mike Tyson box, and only say the stuff they say out of hype they heard. They also don't understand the concept of weight classes, and cutting weight. If big iron mike were to get in the octagon, it would not be with a 130 lbs bjj blue belt panda bear. It will be with a mean fucking 230 lbs mixed martial artist who will take him down and pummel him into oblivion. If he tries his "peekaboo" style ducks, he will get the living crap knee'd out of him.

Sure he has a chance in mma... just not a good one.

12. JustGod

JustGod New Member

13. cabbage

cabbage Current USGA index 2.7 OT Supporter

While I agree that most boxers would have trouble in MMA I do believe that Roy Jones Jr. of eight years ago could have been a force in MMA if he was given a solid year or two of MMA specific training to make him competent in the non-punching parts of the fight game. His hands would light people up and with a year or two of top flight MMA training and instruction I think he could have held his own.

14. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

If you think about it, the heavy hands of some k-1 fighters (kid, zambidis) are pretty potent. Now square them up with comparable weight class boxers, there would be some k-1 fighters taking naps :sleep:

I think in K-1 the boxer idea would be entirely feasible. But not Pride.

15. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

actually look at stefan leko. He was an awesome kick boxer, but sucked in mma. If you watch his k-1 highlight videos, or any of his good fights, you might say "oh man this guy will own in mma". Look what happened. Then you have crocop, who is top 3 hw pride, who still is a littly iffy on the ground. Just can't predict who will and who will not do well without seeing it.