The "I love The Contender" thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Knucklehead, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

What can I say. I think this show rocks. I love boxing and don't get to see enough of it. I like the East vs. West, they don't show you too little of the fight, they show you just enough, and you get into it because they give you all the emotions behind all the boxers. I wish there was more boxing stuff on TV.

Other people like boxing and/or the show?

2. Tenzin

Tenzin Guest

I watched it for the first time last night. I was surprised to see Ishe back down from fighting Hakeem after all the mess he was talkin'. Since there was a confrontation there, I'm sure the producers are saving this fight for later just to keep the audience captive. Not matching up Ishe with Hakeem last night was a mistake. Still, I enjoyed watching the show last night. Looking forward to Sunday's installment (unless of course it coincides with the George Lucas 60 minutes).

3. PaZzEsCo

PaZzEsCo New Member

I'm not into boxing al all but I love this show! It really holds my attention. I was shocked also to see Ishe back down from the fight. Next time he needs to box or keep his mouth shut.

4. Tony Montana

Tony Montana Guest

I like the show but i prefer UFC, its on spike and somewhere around 11/12 pm fri/sat/sun.

5. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

I actually saw this show for the first time last night. I liked it. It's just like the Contender except that the fights at the end are even more brutal and ridiculous. Maybe it's my inner fighter coming out after years of lame, lame boxing matches (boxing has NOT been good the past 8 years or so), but I'm getting really back into boxing. Have people heard about the Film Ring of Fire that's going to be on in April? About a boxer who killed a guy because of the blows he reigned down on him in the ring--sounds crazy, a whole nother level beyond the UFC when the result is death.

6. JumboJym69

JumboJym69 New Member

The Contender is bull shit, I'm glad people like yall love to help Mark Burnett make money. The fights suck, they are way too edited and the amount of boxing they show cannot be over 2 minutes total for each fight, they edit in way too much crowd reaction. The Ultimate Fighter is the shit, I like to actually see an entire fight when I watch one, and those guys don't get caught up in talking so much shit to each other. It is about competing with those UFC guys, not hurting each other.

7. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

My one complaint with the show is what you just said Jumbo---I want to see the whole fight, I don't like how much they edit it. Compared to how much they edited it down in The Next Great Champ though, The Contender seems better.

Contender is re-igniting my interest in boxing, but because of the edited fights, I would much rather watch a real boxing match. The problem is that boxing has been SO lame the past couple years. Jumbo, you should check out the Sundance film Ring of Fire: The Emile Griffith story, which is coming out on USA in April---will be nice to see good, old school fight footage---badass.

Oh, yeah and UFC totally rocks, I'll definitely be watching that again.

8. lolac101

lolac101 New Member

I never watched boxing before but this show got me into the sport. Does anyone know what their regular time is? I thought it was Thurs night but ER was on.

9. PaZzEsCo

PaZzEsCo New Member

The regular time is Sunday nights on NBC at 8/7 pm

10. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

Anyone see the episode last night? I thought it was another great fight, and the show is really good at trying to tug on your heartstrings with all the family stuff, him playing with his little girl after the fight and stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them start to square off in the final 8.

11. lolac101

lolac101 New Member

That was sad at the end when they said the guy who lost died. I was actually rooting for him to win too because he was smaller. Always root for the underdog.

Also, I can't believe I missed last week episode on which ishe and the other guy fought. I really wanted to see that. Thanks pazzesco for the time. I would have missed this weeks too if it weren't for your post.

12. PaZzEsCo

PaZzEsCo New Member

That last fight was a good one. I think it was the most competitive fight so far. And your welcome lolac101!!

13. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

I think the fight with Ishe and babyface last week was probably the closest and most competitive. Does the show keep going as is now? Or do they go to a round robin or single elimination tournament now?

14. lolac101

lolac101 New Member

Just saw the recap who at 7 and wow. That fight between Ishe and Ahmed was crazy. Should have kept on going. I wanted to see more. :)

15. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

So Manfredo came back to the show and was able to win. Do people think he can win it all? who would you say is the favorite right now?

16. PaZzEsCo

PaZzEsCo New Member

Yeah Manfredo is back but I don't think he can win. He already lost once so I don't see him going all the way. As far as my favorite goes and the one I think could possibly win it is Alfonzo. He went in and took the first fight and won, so I give him tons of credit for that. What about you knucklehead? Who do you think could possibly win?

17. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

Thoughts on the episode from Sunday?

As for who can win right now, i honestly don't have a clue. All the fights so far (besides this past one) were really close. So if the guys winning are close to the guys losing, it's hard to compare them to the other winners. I think Ishee looked pretty good beating Babyface, who seemed like a tough fighter.

18. PaZzEsCo

PaZzEsCo New Member

Ohhh your right, the winners are coming close to the losers so they've got to be close in comparison to the other winners, I didn't even think of it that way! As far as Sundays episode, it was just sad. I don't know what to think about, I think his name is Anthony, picking the guy that he wasn't supposed to. One part of me thinks it's a game and he should do whatever he feels he needs to do to win but the other part of me is thinking that was cold, if he wanted to pick Brent he should of at least gave his team the heads up about what he was doing.

19. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

I think it's stupid that people say he "wasn't supposed" to pick someone. He should pick whoever he thinks he has the best chance of beating.

20. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

aw man, is no one else watching this? Pretty good fight between Joey and Jimmy last night. I'm looking forward to the final 8

21. PaZzEsCo

PaZzEsCo New Member

I'm still watching it. Yeah it was a good fight last night, it was close. What do you all think about Juan leaving and who do you think is coming back in his place?? I'm excited to find out.

22. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

Well they kind of gave it away by showing Babyface in the scenes from next week. Maybe that's just a tease to throw us off and it's someone different though.

Juan may have had injuries, but he really wasn't hiding the fact that he would rather take his win and the attention he got and bail, rather than risk his undefeated record. It's too bad, he was raw, but he definitely a big hitter with some serious talent.

23. PaZzEsCo

PaZzEsCo New Member

Oh I guess I wasn't paying attention to the previews for the next one because I didn't see babyface. Hmm...he's an interesting pick.

24. splitfire

splitfire OT Supporter

I'm with you on this one. The show is filmed well, and the fights are pretty darn good.

25. lolac101

lolac101 New Member

So Ahmed return to only get beat by Alfonso. Alfonso face got really messed up after the fight too. Ahmed really can hit man. Ishe got beat too last nite.