The HSV Coupe 4 Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mitchj, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

This is in my opinion the most under rated variant of the Monaro platform and a very unique example. Firstly, its 4WD which adds a completely new experience to how it performs, secondly its auto only, which isn't a completely bad thing, and thirdly is uses the older 367 horsepower LS1 engine. As the LS2 was never certified for 4WD. But what it lacks in speed (0-62 in 6.1 seconds), it makes up for in style, sound and immersion.

This is my favorite of the monaros, and if you can afford its cost, surely you can afford a supercharger to give it some extra balls. Either way here it is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

3. lathrash

lathrash New Member

i like it... never knew there was a 4wd version. how much weight does 4wd add?

4. PooJou

PooJou New Member

Yes, the wider track is due to the 4WD system. Also it made slightly less power (270kw iirc) because of the restrictions in the exhaust (also due to the 4wd)

5. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

I didn't even know this thing existed. This would have been great as a GTO.

6. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

People would have winged about the drivetrain. I think they should have just kept the styling, and made a supercharged RWD LS2 version with 500 horsepower, now that would be special.

7. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

I don't know. We would have been looking at a 350-400 hp AWD coupe for around the same money as a 300 hp AWD WRX STi.

I think the right marketing could have sold the product.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Looks like a nice car. I really hate the HSV wing, though, that would be the first thing I'd take off.

The drivetrain probably isn't as much of an issue as some people would make it seem; if the whole package was designed around the concept of having an automatic gearbox, then it probably doesn't have a slushy feel to it, unlike cars that are retrofitted with automatics.