The Highschool Sweetheart

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by ZeeAyKay, Mar 3, 2008.

1. ZeeAyKay

ZeeAyKay New Member

Who here has had experience with a High School sweetheart after graduation? Did it work? How long did it last?

I've been dating a sophomore for about 7 months now and we both really like each other. We never get bored and can talk on the phone for hours at a time. I'm a senior, and I'm wondering how this is all gonna work out in the future. Any advice and/or stories?

2. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Well I broke up with my high school sweetheart before college, It was definitely for the better. You learn and grow so much as a person the second you graduate high school and start college. When you hold onto a younger SO who stays in high school it tends to not work out because:
    1. Distance (assuming you are going at least an hour away for school)
    2. You meet a million new people, opposite sex included and your feelings begin to wane
    3. You grow up/change/whatever and start to wonder if you still really connect with that person who clicked with your past self

I actually had about 3 friends who went to college with a girlfriend at home and they all broke up at least by the end of their firts year. All said they wished they had ended it sooner.

3. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

I mean this nicely, but get a life. You can talk to her when you see him/her, don't waste all your free time on the phone.

4. ware_ru

ware_ru I know, I know, I'm amazing

:ugh:

5. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I remember my HS boyfriend and I could literally talk for 3 hours a night, every night. I don't understand how or even why, but I definitely grew out of it. When my SO wants to talk on the phone for over 10 minutes now I get annoyed and cut it short. It's what you do when you are young, lame and can't actually see each other when you want due to parent's rules.

6. Not Nobody

Not Nobody no s on my shitlist

There is always a real possibility a high school relationship can work well into college, even long distance. Although, personally mine only worked for half a year into college. :hs: Would have went longer, but it was because of her. Just make sure your SO's not a cheating whore like mine was.

If the feelings are mutual, it's not too hard to make them stay that way. It takes work, but if both of you are willing to put in the effort it can and will work. I wouldn't worry too much about both of you falling out of love at the same time if you connect on the level you say you do.

7. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

I know, I did it too, but it's just so stupidly boring to talk for a long time. I figure I might as well give the guy some advice to get a head start on bettering himself in relationships.

8. HuskiRuski

HuskiRuski Cardinal Fan

probably won't work.

best idea is to break up before college just go balls out freshman year.
    chances are you'll find 10 girls that you'd rather be with than this one, and if you don't, there's a chance you'll get back with the high schooler, but i can almost guarantee you won't want to.

edit: i tried it. broke up spring semester freshman year. then got back together that summer, and broke up again several months later. part of me wishes i didn't waste the time, part of me thought it was fun at the time so i don't regret it.

9. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

I was my ex-wife's High School Sweetheart.

Our first year of dating we were the couple that made everybody sick and groan at how sweet we were on each other.

6 years later, we are bitterly divorced with 2 kids.

My advice?

END IT!!!

Hahaha, just kidding. My real advice:

1. Don't get in a hurry to marry this girl.
    2. If it starts to get serious, live with her FIRST before getting married.
    3. If you get to the end of college and you are still together, have lived together for about a year or two, and WANT to get married, make sure you get a prenup.

:dunno:

High school relationships rarely work though. Oh, a LOT of high school relationships end up in marriage, but then they also end up in divorce. Not to be a cock, but your college years will be the best years of your life. Don't tie yourself down to one girl when you could be out having the time of your life.

10. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

didnt have one. I sexed up as many girls as i could in high school and hung out with my bros. high school was amazing.

we had a bet that went like this

2 points for sex w. girl
    4 points if she is virgin
    6 for a threesome

between 12 ppl i got 2nd with around 16 pts. (senior year) winner had 18 :dunno:

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

It depends but for most people it just doesn't work - they change, they are lonely, etc.

I have been married for 11 years to the girl I met 17 years ago :noes: We dated through HS, I took her to my junior prom, we were together 90% of college living 800 miles apart, and we got married the fall after graduation. We also both grew up in the same small town.

It's hard to say "go for it" because so many people crash and burn trying. That said, if you don't try, you don't grow as a person and you'll never know if it could work. It takes a LOT of work, trust, and patience.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

You're so cool.

13. Yuppy

well they asked about sweethearts. i said i didnt have one.

14. mrchina

mrchina Guest

You're going to be thrown into an environment that makes high school look like a day care, to put it nicely. Your age difference and vastly different experiences will only become more apparent... I'm saying you should end it by the end of summer.

15. tubachris85x

tubachris85x New Member

Its just hard. You both will have to want it, and nothing less.

16. Yahdude

Yahdude New Member

Finally cutting ties with my high school sweetheart is easily the best thing I've ever done. I have two SERIOUS regrets in my life, the largest is ever getting back together with her after the initial break up.

Hope that helps.

17. sassy2424

sassy2424 New Member

:werd::werd:

I've been with my SO for 3 years and we dated in highschool, it's VERY hard when you're attending different colleges, and it's going to be harder for you because she's younger. we were the same age and going through the same sort of things (different colleges, new people, harder work loads...) and it was still difficult.

18. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

I think it depends on where you're going for college. If you're going to a community college nearby, then I don't really see a reason to end things. You aren't going to be living on campus with full freedom like you would in a 4-year-university environment. The people are generally a lot of the same people you are familiar with, and although you will still meet new people the change isn't really all that great. In the first year-two you get a lot of the idiots who are fresh out of high school and don't really care about the classes they're taking. I remember a lot of my first year classes having people disrupt the classes all the time and I felt like things hadn't changed at all. By the 2nd semester of my 2nd year I finally started to meet a few new people who made me feel like I was finally out of my senior year of high school.

I'm not at a 4-year yet but based on common knowledge / my beliefs I think that if you are going to one, it would be a good idea to break up with your girlfriend. You will not being living at home (most likely) and the immature high school crowd will be smaller than that of a community college. You will be forced to meet new people because you will probably not know very many people at all. Living in dorms will expand your social circle quite a bit and you will definitely start developing interests in other women.

19. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Most people I know that were high school sweethearts and serious (dated 2 years of more in high school) either broke up before college or didn't last the first year of college... This holds true for ~ 95% of all high school sweetheart relationships I know of... Even the ones where in high school you said you to yourself "they are def. getting married".

That is not to say however, that it won't work... It's very possible.
    If you go to the same school that makes it easier. Also, having each person be pretty confident and controlled helps a lot too.

I'm 22 which means I and most people I knew from high school are graduating in a year or two and of the tons and tons of couples (sweethearts) that left for college together, I think a total of 4 of them are still together.
    So naturally, the odds are not in your favor. And the fact that you're a senior and she's a sophmore means chances are damn near impossible for it work.

It's hard to explain it since you have not been there... but in college you grow SOOOOOOOOOOO much. Meet tons of new people, new perspectives, social groups, and you'll meet tons of women.
    I mostly advice against serious college relationships unless you're pretty certain you could marry the girl.

Lastly, if you do stay with the high school sweetheart, wait longer than normal to get married. Each of you will have less experiences and at some point someone will get bored and curious... so IMO it's best to wait several years after college before getting married just to avoid a dreaded divorce.

20. demosnat

demosnat New Member

I started dating a guy when I was fifteen, and we stayed together until my sophomore year of college.
    We broke up because I was doing stuff with my life, and he was staying in this weird state of suspended childhood (he was six years older) and started resenting me for having a life, being in school etc. I resented him for being controlling, he was a depressed piece of crap, and it ended.
    If it weren't for his immaturity and my inability to deal with his depression, it would have worked :dunno:
    I'm glad it didn't though

21. Kleine Maus

Kleine Maus New Member

:) I thought my high school love was it. Funny how life is.

22. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

How is he doing now? I was such an energy leach off of my ex "sweetheart" over 7 years but have since changed so much. It wouldn't have happened if I had stayed with her. I can't say I'd ever go back either no matter what since that partnership had served its purpose.

TS: If you have a good thing going, my advice would be to focus on the good things and allow each other to grow and become independent. Grow alongside each other, not as the same person. I have a friend who married his gf from 7th grade and she's pretty much the only girl he's ever known. He can't go 5 minutes without mentioning his wife. It might sound sweet to some, but it's like he has no identity and just half of a soul.

23. Yuppy

you break up the summer before school

THAT WAY you are over her by the end of summer.

and then go balls out freshman year.

ive seen guys pussy whipped by HS gfs who live out of town (never made sense to me, id be cheating @ that point, b.c I was never serious with a girl back then)

but they were just the fags on my dorm floor

seriously, they were like the lamest kids and they had rather mediocre girlfriends .

24. Autorotate

Autorotate New Member

I dated a girl since the 8th grade. She went off the the AF Academy, we recently broke up, I am still getting over her. Shit can work, but I wouldn't bet on it,

25. Autorotate

Autorotate New Member

This shit is so true, if you want a long lasting relationship you have to realize that you are going to grow, accept it.