A&P The Hallmark Institute Of Photography...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by p00f, Sep 23, 2004.

1. p00f

p00f New Member

Just wondering if there are any current students or Gradutated students on here? My Fiance is currently attending the school and she's having a lot of fun! She had to buy Mamiya(sp) camera that was like 4200 dollars :eek3: But she's really liking it out there in Mass. I'm trying to get into the photography hobby myself (she's making a career out of it)

I just bought a new Canon Powershot G6...lol All kinds of crazy shit on it I don't understand :bigthumb:

So yea, just wondering if there's any current students or people that have went there or heard about it!

2. mojito

mojito New Member

I'm at the Brooks Institute of Photography

3. red^star

red^star Guest

How do you like it?

A friend of mine just went over there this semester and he LOVES it.

4. mojito

mojito New Member

its a great school. Its kinda tight on space becuase this incoming class is so big, but theres a new campus opening soon, so that'll help. All the teachers are working professionals, so they tell you actual real world helpful tips. They have the best equiptment to use I've ever seen. I'm not far enough into the program to use their medium formats with digital backs, but yesterday I checked out a $2k body and $7k lens just to tey them out.

Its a very long and intense program though, pretty much 3 years of summer school. 7 weeks on, 1 week off, and theres a lot of material for 7 weeks.

Its also very expensive. Besides the tuition, which is 3700 every 2 months, I've spent probably 3000 in the first 3 months so far, but that will go down as I get futher into it and especially when I can go all digital.

For me, theres way to much of en emphesis on large format cameras. Its a school designed for commercial photography, and there really isn't a better alternative than large format, but I probably won't ever use one fter I graduate. Just too big, too slow etc

5. p00f

p00f New Member

my fiance got some Mamyia Medium Format Camera she had to get to to even attend that school (Hallmark). 4200 through the school....i think it came with ONE lense...crazy shit man...i didnt know cameras could run that much and the lenses WOW

6. mojito

mojito New Member

yup. I'm renting a large format, which woulda cost 7500 new. We only need a 35mm body and either a rented or purchased large format. They have the rest, though most still buy their own so they always have it and its in better condition.

Buy the time I graduate, I bet I'll have whatever replaces the Canon 1D Mark II, and probably a medium format. Don't think I could afford a digital back for it though, they're still $10k +

7. p00f

p00f New Member

So No one in offtopic goes to this school, eh??