The Great Debaters

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by kronik85, Dec 25, 2007.

1. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

A drama based on the true story of Melvin B. Tolson, a professor at Wiley College Texas. In 1935, he inspired students to form the school's first debate team, which went on to challenge Harvard in the national championship.

Movie with Denzel Washington & Forest Whittaker. The plot seemed kinda shitty (a debate? snore), but the cast looked awesome so I watched it. Amazing movie :bowdown: Cast was great, characters were awesome. And the debates were pretty powerful. Alot of racial influence (it basically drives the movie). Look for this to win some major awards.

2. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I was impressed when Denzel gave a million to the school. I am sure he didn't even make 1% of that working on this movie.

3. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

same plot just re-done for the millionth time with a little difference here and there. all these feel good teacher or coach underdog stories, please can we move on now. boring fucking unoriginal shit.

how many of these feel good race movies do we have to have before you get sick of it.

4. Paraprakrti

Paraprakrti New Member

"'The Great Debaters' is about an underdog debate team that wins a national championship, and some critics have complained that it follows the formula of all sports movies by leading up, through great adversity, to a victory at the end. So it does. How many sports movies, or movies about underdogs competing in any way, have you seen that end in defeat? It is human nature to seek inspiration in victory, and this is a film that is affirming and inspiring and re-creates the stories of a remarkable team and its coach." -Roger Ebert

5. Do it To it

Do it To it Only thing I hate more than kids is an empty glass OT Supporter

I love when the underdog fails miserably. At least I know I saw something different.

6. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

Friday Night Lights

7. tun

tun Active Member

my favorite character in the movie was definitely the fat 14 year old black kid :rofl: everytime he was emo, i whispered to my friend that he was gonna grab a piece of fried chicken. and that scene where they were getting on the train for boston with the mother describing all the food she packed :rofl: