COMIC "The Goddamn Batman"

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by axio, Aug 7, 2007.

1. axio

axio New Member

I picked up a copy of the new issue of Allstar Batman & Robin at my LCBS and I'm starting to think that this is a joke by Frank Miller. Clearly he is trying to prove to people that he can get people to buy anything associated with his name. Right? I mean, they say "Goddamn Batman" at least 2 times per issue! There is no way Frank Miller's writing could slip to such horrible depths, right?

2. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

I'm just waiting for someone to drop "goddamn batman" in the dark knight flick :mamoru:

3. void

void oh yeah?

i think it picked up right when vicki vale said it in the first issue and everyone went apeshit...then he had BATMAN say it while he was going nutzo on some criminals.

i think it's hilarious.

i mean, he's already done serious batman...so why not do deranged batman who is doing things Frank Castle style...sans all the murder.

come on...you know he's not turning in these scripts and saying, "holy fucking shit...this comic is going to change EVERYTHING!" he has to be laughing his ass off, saying "god, my new batman is a fucking lunatic! this is so awesome, there's no way anyone could get away with this before."

i think the only thing he's laughing at is how people are going berserk over 6 issues that are not even close to regular continuity.

4. 0wn3d_productivity

0wn3d_productivity OT Supporter

It was funny a couple times, but they killed the joke in that issue by saying it 25 times.

5. nbkny17

nbkny17 New Member

Its getting ridiculous. Everytime a new issue comes out I have to break out the back issues so I can remember what has taken place. I wish they had a standard schedule.

6. Highlander_77

Highlander_77 Wicked smaht

But is it Frank Miller's name that's selling the book, or Jim Lee's? Or both? :eek3:

7. devilboy

devilboy New Member

I was expecting a lot more from it.

As far as Batman story arcs, it is hard to beat The Long Halloween.

8. 0wn3d_productivity

Yeah, like if they ever finish Ultimate Hulk vs. Ultimate Wolverine.

9. axio

axio New Member

Probably both. But Frank Miller hasn't written a good storyline in years, and Jim Lee's art kind of sucks in an entire book. It is great for a cover, but you get sick of how he postures everything after a while.

10. AJAX

AJAX OT Supporter

Not me I love Lee, He draws super heroes the way I've always imagined they look. The only problem is that I'm sure if I saw his style in like a Y the Last Man type book I would not like it.

11. 0wn3d_productivity

I think Lee is a phenomenal artist and love his work. Miller seems to be riding his 300/Sin City too much though- he really hasn't written anything of late that interests me either.

12. Highlander_77

Highlander_77 Wicked smaht

I have to agree with this. I never get sick of looking at Jim Lee's art. Just about every time I see him draw a character that I've never seen him draw before, I go "Damn...that's the way that character should look!" (with the possible exception of the Hulk, who I don't think will ever be drawn better than when Dale Keown draws him) The way he postures everything...well, that's what superhero comics are all about! They're not supposed to look and act like normal people...everything is supposed to be overly dramatic and exaggerated.

But I also don't think his style is really suited to more subtle, non-superhero fare either. Like, I don't think it would have worked so well to have him draw something like 'Death: The High Cost of Living' (yeah...that's a really old example, I know. I can't think of anything more recent of that type that I've actually read...:o).

13. armond

armond New Member

So what are the must haves for Batman? I find myself actually headed this direction instead of Marvel for once.

I just ordered:
    The Long Halloween
    Arkham Asylum
    Dark Victory
    The Dark Knight Returns
    Hush

All in the TPB, did I get that right?

14. 0wn3d_productivity

Killing Joke.

15. armond

armond New Member