GUN The French police are good for something

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Dec 24, 2007.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

but it isn't getting a clean shot

http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article3280451.ece

Christmas shopping can be a crashing boar
    By Claire Soares
    Published: 24 December 2007
    For French shoppers hunting for last-minute Christmas gifts, it was not so much a case of a bull in a china shop, but a boar in a clothes shop.

The stress of emergency present-buying got decidedly more stressful in the western town of Poitiers, when a wild boar broke into a clothing store over the weekend and went on the rampage, sending customers fleeing.

After shoppers and staff had been evacuated, police moved in to deal with the animal intruder. But when the 90-kg beast began to charge, the officers were forced to open fire, leaving the run-away boar riddled with at least 30 bullets. The shop re-opened two hours later.

Police believe the animal was one of a group of three spotted in the nearby countryside, but were at a loss to explain how it had managed to stray into the commercial zone or what had attracted it to the clothing store in particular.

However, the Poitiers beast was not alone in causing havoc in the run-up to Christmas. Passengers travelling from Nice to Brussels were delayed for almost four hours after their TGV train smashed into one of the animals that had strayed onto the tracks.

SNCF, the French state railway company, were forced to suspend all services on the busy line for almost an hour while an engineer checked for damage, causing delays for 34 more trains.

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

What kind of faggy trains do they use that they have to stop and check for damage after hitting a pig?

3. 4fifths

4fifths God of Bartons

Sounds like they hit it 30 times. :dunno: Maybe they need bigger guns.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:9mm:

5. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

nah, I've seen the shit french police carry, try .38spl at best.

not even +p or anything considering the age/build of their guns :o

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

SIG SP2022

:9mm:

7. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

They hit that thing 30 times? That's impressive in itself. :eek3:

8. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Notice they don't mention how many shots were actually fired...

9. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

Uh, the TGV is one of the fastest trains in the world, their latest test model set the rail speed record. The trains have metal frames but the outside covering is fiberglass. It's not thin like the Corvette or anything, but if you hit something you're looking at damage and any sort of damage to the outside covering would cause problems with the aerodynamics causing the train to operate, at the bare minimum, a greatly reduced speed. If it's really damaged the thing could become downright unstable.

Europe knows how to do passenger trains and we could learn a thing or two from them. There are plans to build high-speed rail corridors in the US as soon as the investors are willing to fork over the cash. The idea that I can go between Paris and London in 1hr 51min is FASTER than flying by a long shot. Traveling within the country is incredibly fast, you can go from Paris to Bordeaux, a 5 and a half hour drive, in just under 2 hours.

Seriously, the trains in Europe are the fucking shit.

10. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

America won't have much of a passenger rail system until public transport in general improves. Sure, you could take a train from Dallas to Austin, hell you'd probably want to if it knocked the travel time down to an hour. The problem is that once you get there you're going to need a car to get around and that means forking over the money to rent one. In the end most people would rather just drive the 3hrs than pay the cost of renting a car on top of the train costs.

It's got potential in NE, though. Amtrak's Accela trains aren't the best in the world and they'd be a whole lot better if they didn't stop in every fucking town along the way, but they're not the best option in the world. The travel times are still on par with flying and you're still going to need a car if you plan to get outside of the city centers.

11. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

:rly:

the cops I saw when I was in france all had either wheel guns or Famas rifles.

The ones I mostly saw were out in the country though, maybe they were the frog version of the CHP or something.

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

People here get hit by trains all the time with no damage to the train, and if the conductor didnt see the guy on the tracks sometimes they keep going not knowing they hit anyone, I didn't know they had fiberglass trains over there. :o

13. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I heard of a train that actually dragged a car under it through a city for a couple miles, and when they got into the station, the conductor got out and went home, since he didn't even realize it.

14. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Heavy freight trains are an entirely different matter from a high-speed, light passenger train. Interesting that they didn't incorporate some sort of cow-catcher into the design, but given the predictable pattern of wildlife in densely-packed France, perhaps the thought never occurred to them...

15. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

I'm pretty sure that the Western trains aren't going 168mph, minimum. :mamoru:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TGV#Rolling_stock

16. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

:rofl: No doubt.

17. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I was talking passenger trains too, just no high speed ones here, but LIRR occasionally runs over homeless people on the tracks and dont always know. They usually see the suicides that jump in front of them at the stations though.

18. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

As was said, its a big difference between our passenger trains and their TGV. When the train regularly travels more than 150 mph, I would hope that they stop to inspect it for damage before putting the hammer down again. It wouldnt take much to have a terrible accident. France also has a wonderful safety record with their trains. I've ridden the TGV a few times and its awesome, wish we had them here, it would make my traveling a lot easier.