A&P The Eye of God

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ASIGN_Baz, Jun 22, 2009.

1. ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz New Member

One dark night in 2 months!! What is going on with this planet!!!

I got 18 subs of 12 minutes and 26 Darks subtracted.

I am still not happy with this. It is SOOOO faint, there has to be a happy medium between getting enough light from the DSO, and not washing it out with light pollution from the 'burbs.

I think I will have to go back to 15 or even 20 minute exposure and see how that goes.

So here it is, 3 hours 36 minutes of the Helix (Eye of God) nebula.

I am still going to get more subs to add for a total of around six hours hopefully.

Baz.
    [​IMG]

2. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

how accurate are the colors that the camera picks up vs what eyes would see?

btw do you have an off the top of your head suggestion on a starter telescope that I can use to see the stars and planets...mostly the moon. I would also want to use my 40D to take pictures? :hs:

3. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

these guys are making OTAP want to shoot stars. These never get old to me

4. Nader_D

Nader_D HAHAHEHHUH ---- POOOHhHhHHCHhh! OT Supporter

i love these types of pics :bowdown:

5. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

Looks more like a heart than an eye to me. Cool shot though :bowdown:

6. ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz New Member

Thanks guys.

This particular object is about as large in the sky as a full moon if you could see it naked eye.

The problem is, it is so far away and so faint, even looking through some smaller telescopes it is all but invisible.

The light and colour takes a very long exposure to accumulate it on film or digital sensor whilst on a mount that precicely tracks the motion of the stars (counteracting Earth's rotation)

I would suggest a nice refractor like an Orion or Skywatcher ED 80 bare minimum. Beautiful scope too by the way. Fantastic visually and great for wider fields and does soem great deep space objects (DSO's). Make sure you put it on an equatorial mount. EQ5 and up.

If you want to do planetary photography, I would get yourself a very good quality large aperture reflector with a German equatorial mount that tracks the stars. An EQ6 is a great mount for this.

Here are a couple of links to get you thinking.

http://www.bintel.com.au/SKpromount.html

http://www.bintel.com.au/Skywatcher.html

Baz.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  7. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Awesome stuff bro - :bowdown:

And to think it all just came to be with BANG :hsugh :mamoru:

8. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Color is something astrophotographers struggle at. No ones entirely sure what the correct color is for any deep space object since at night human vision uses its version of black and white (or reduced color sensitivity) to help us see contrast. Ever notice how hard it is to tell what color a car is at night?

I guess the closest we could get is simply balancing the camera to true daylight as close as possible then taking pics trying to keep them as true as possible during processing which in itself is very hard.

9. ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz New Member

Look out at an open field of grass, trees and hills on a moonlit night. Colours with loss of light and gains in distance become hard to discern.

Now, put a camera on a tripod and take a photograph of 30 seconds or more, and you watch all those colours appear. Trees and grass will now look green.

That's my understanding of it.

Light emits from stars as yellow, white, red, blue, depending on many things like their temperature, chemical composition size and distance and whatever different gasses the light passes through between us and that star.

Not to mention, that light is also passing through our atmosphere of nitrogen and oxygen. As white light passes through certain gasses, it will reflect one part of the spectrum, while reflecting another. Our sky is blue, while on Mars, with a carbon dioxide atmosphere, the sky is pink, even though we both have the same yellow sun as a light source.

So as you can see, there are many factors affecting colour.

On top of that, some astrophotos are taken in narrowband filters, which allows the photographer to "build up" certain areas of interest to compose the picture for scientific or aesthetic purposes. These are called "False colour' images. The structure and detail is real enough, but the colours are deliberately "turned up" to show better detail and differences within the object, that are normally too fine for the eye to determine by itself.

I have no problem with "false colour" as long as the photographer doesn't misinform people when asked.

Baz.

10. ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz New Member

in the beginning there was nothing.....and then it exploded.....:squint: all by itself....all by whatsefl?...I dunno...all by nothing's self...:hsughno:

In the beginning God created the heavens and the Earth.....and I bet there was a HUGE BANG THEN!!!:bowdown:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  11. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

I'm right there with you bro :h5:

12. ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz New Member

Still no good here for dark skies. We've had cloud, thick fog day and night, thunderstorms and rain. I still need another 3 hours of subs at least to add to this one.

Patience game...