The entire partition just disapeared! V. *poof*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Stilgar1973, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

** for those that don't want to read the entire thing.
    I did a backup of my Father in laws emac but the backup went to hell. It overwrote the the OS and now I have lost the original partition to something named 'OS2'. OS2 has no OS on it. I don't need the OS restored, I only need the files off of it. My father in law is getting a new imac on Monday.
    I know NOTHING of macs. But I know a bit about PC's.

Any help or pointers is appreciated.

If you want to know HOW I ended up here and are interested in my excuse to how someone that should know better would make such an error, then read what is below.

Thanks for your help.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Okay, bottom line, I am a windows man. I am the devil. Satan himself. I have some certifications but I know NOTHING about the MAC.

So my Father-in-law ownes a 4 year old emac. Yesterday I took him to our local Mac store and he purchased a shiny new imac. Should be coming in on Monday.

I asked the guy at the store about the best way to move the files from the emac to the imac and I was left with the impression that I should do a backup and just restore (or move from the backup) what my Father-in-law wanted to keep.

So, I go on the internet and search for decent (and affordable) backup software for the Mac. I find this SuperDuper! stuff recommended, it is cheap enough and it is fairly functional without paying for it.
    I download it and install it on the emac.

6 months ago I installed more ram, a new hard drive and a DVDRW drive and OS 10.4 onto the emac.
    I never tried to write to that drive.

So I fire up the backup software and try to tell it to write to the DVDRW drive.
    It won't.
    It simply won't.
    I looked and looked but couldn't figure out how to get it to write to that drive.

I can't transfer it over the network to my PC - that is something else I have tried in the past and have failed at. I have NO usb hard drive.

I was stuck.

**note, what I should have done was create a new partition and backed up to the new partition. ~sigh~**

So I do something that, in retrospect, was just plain dumb.
    I started up the backup software and told it to create a backup - on the desktop - of the entire computer.

My thought process, at the time, was all about backup size and how to get it off the computer. It never occured to me that the backup would create a 'hall-of-mirrors' trick and eat up all of the hard drive.

I let it run overnight.

The next morning I sat down at it and found that the machine would only boot up to an OS9 style folder with a question mark in the center of it.

I took the 10.4 disk and screwed around with it and eventually figured out that the partition I had created when I had installed 10.4 (called MACOS or something similar) was gone. It had been replaced by something called 'OS2'.

OS2 - best I can figure out - has no OS on it at all. In fact, it isn't even a valid partition.

After some googleing I have decided that the weird ass (and improper) backup I was doing overwrote the OS on the hard disk.

I have things I need to rescue off that disk.

Here is the good news, the OS isn't important. Only the information.
    In fact, taking the hard drive out and putting it in a USB casing is not only doable - but I have listed it on my 'things to do list' for Saturday.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Thanks for the help.
    Oh wait a minute, you didn't say anything helpful.

Thanks for pointing out what I already know and put in the original post.

You can save yourself from looking like too much of an ass by offering me some sort of advice to help me recover this information.

**edit**

This is why I never switched to Macs. Whenver I was in the market for a new machine and I thought about Macs I would ask about them on usenet and groups and whatnot. Time and time again I would run into these people that just acted like asshats about Macs.
    I just ended up feeling like they didn't want me to join the party.
    So I didn't.

3. inamorata

inamorata New Member

this guy can go fuck himself

i work IT, i promise i can help your situation but im not going to do shit cause you're being an asshole

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  4. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Look assholes,
    I admitted my mistake in the original post. I even said in the original post what I should have done instead to have avoided this predicament.
    I don't owe anyone on this board an apology for doing something stupid with my Father-in-laws mac. I owe my Father in law one - and he has gotten it.

The first response I get is some duchebag trying to rub my face in my own mistake.

WTF?

I admit to being a PC centric person but not knowing anything about Macs. Something else I said in the original post.

What more needed to be said?

My guess is WHAT REALLY HAPPENED is that you people only read my summary. If you had read the entire thing you would have had all the information.

5. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

That you have a shitty attitude and no patience. A ration of crap for a patently poor attempt should be expected - chill. Same with getting grief for no av/sub/search. Welcome to OT. Stop being a whiny ass if you want help from people in here.

Moving on.... I can't figure exactly what you did in the first place but if the disk physically works you can either target-disk mount that thing from another mac (like they would at the apple store - dump it to another disk that way and then reinstall) or you can pull it and throw it in an external like you said.

Beyond that, stop biting the hand that feeds and you might get a simpler answer. I'd probably just image it myself and go from there but someone here probably has a more pointed, easier answer to give you. If you don't piss everyone off first :hsugh:

6. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

Whenever I have Mac problems/questions, I'm able to resolve it via Mac Shack 90% of the time :dunno:

7. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Thanks for giving it a shot.
    I have a lot of guilt over breaking this thing, he has some pictures and emails and such that cannot be easily replaced (read: deceased wife).
    I took offense to someone I don't even know giving me crap for this.

Here is the one thing I left out.
    The reason he is getting rid of it is because the computer randomly locks up.
    It is a memory problem and it is associated with it going into sleep mode.

It is entirely possible that some point during the evening it locked up.
    If it was screwing with the wrong OS files then it is possible that has something to do with this mess.

My latest theory is that I need to physicaly extract the hard drive, put it in a USB hard drive enclosure and go at it with some sort of hard drive utility like Disk Warrior.

I am going to do the surgery on Sat.

After my Father in law gets his new Imac I am going to load up whatever software I choose on his imac and attempt the restore from there.

8. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

thanks. I am going there now.

9. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

:rofl: Brings back memories.

10. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

:hahano:

11. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

whats that from?