FRK The end of a Period?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by tb2883, May 23, 2007.

1. tb2883

tb2883 New Member

I don't know if I should post this in the Vag forum or not, if you think so just tell me.

A new drug "Lybrel" has just been approved by the FDA and may be at markets in as soon as a 2 months. The is said to end the "period" that women have every month. I have seen past post in here from women saying they can't do certain positions or certain things at different times of the month due to their "period."

To the women of FS my question is: First will you take a pill like this at all?

Second, if you do take the pill do you think you will be more freaky since you no longer have the period?

2. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Is the purpose of the pill to just end the period, or is it also a form of BC? Sorry if that's a dumb question.. I would probably take the pill if it were a form of BC. I'm currently on the shot, and I'd like to get off of it, but in all honesty the only thing that keeps me there is not having a period. :hs:

3. demosnat

demosnat New Member

I take seasonal and I only have a period like once a year or so.
    Bleeding has never stoped me from having sex though

4. aggielooker

aggielooker New Member

It is a form of BC. Also the article said that a lot of women dropped out of the study due to spotting at odd times. For me, I'm on the patch and I just keep putting a new patch on every week. My doctor even told me I don't have to have a period if I don't want one.

5. lauren

lauren Active Member

id give it a try....but i skip periods on normal bc so its not much of a change.

6. pigeon

pigeon wasabi

no, because i don't use conventional bc, but my cycle has never really affected my sex life all that much.

7. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

I can't wait for this new pill. I just switched to seasonal and i'm LOVING only having a period 4 times a year. Going MONTHS without pain and cramps and bleeding and moodyness and headaches!! Fucking blissful.

I will be going on this pill as soon as i can get my doc to say yes.

The period is really a modern occurence anyway. In past times, women were pretty much in a constant state of pregnancy/breastfeeding that suppressed periods in a similar fashion to the birth control pill. Also mal nutrition and age played a factore in making a menstrual period in child breaing women something they didn't deal with monthly. So, In reality we're kids of going back to an older era where women didn't have constant monthly periods with out the hassle of children hanging off of our tits or plague and disease killing off our hormones.

yay for periodless years to come!!

8. tb2883

tb2883 New Member

To answer you question "shoeprincess731" and "aggielooker" from what i have read so far, it is a form of bc and you will have to take it once a day - everyday (365).

I forgot other forms of bc had an affect on a womens period, if i had remembered that i don't think i would have asked the second question.

9. aggielooker

aggielooker New Member

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The first birth-control pill meant to put a stop to women's monthly periods indefinitely won federal approval Tuesday. Called Lybrel, it's the first such pill to receive Food and Drug Administration approval for continuous use. When taken daily, the pill can halt women's menstrual periods indefinitely and prevent pregnancies. It is the latest approved oral contraceptive to depart from the 21-days-on, seven-days-off regimen that had been standard since birth-control pill sales began in the 1960s. The pill, manufactured by Wyeth, is the first designed to put off periods altogether when taken without break.
    The pill isn't for everyone, an FDA official said. About half the women enrolled in studies of Lybrel dropped out, said Dr. Daniel Shames, a deputy director in the FDA's drugs office. Many did so because of the irregular and unscheduled bleeding and spotting that can replace scheduled menstruation.
    "If you think you don't want to go down this road, this is not for you," Shames told reporters.
    Wyeth plans to start Lybrel sales in July. The Madison, N.J., company said it hasn't yet determined a price for the 28-pill packs. The pill contains a low dose of two hormones already widely used in birth-control pills, ethinyl estradiol and levonorgestrel.
    A study showed Lybrel was just as effective in preventing pregnancy as a traditional pill, Alesse, also made by Wyeth. However, since Lybrel users will eliminate their regular periods, it may be difficult for them to recognize if they have become pregnant, Shames said.
    Most of the roughly 12 million American women who take birth-control pills do so to prevent pregnancy. Others rely on hormonal contraceptives to curb acne or regulate their monthly periods.
    Some nontraditional pills such as Yaz and Loestrin 24 shorten monthly periods to three days or less. Seasonique, an updated version of Seasonale, reduces them to four times a year. With Lybrel, in one test, 59 percent of the women who took Lybrel for a year had no bleeding or spotting during the last month of the study. However, because of dropouts, that translates into only about one-third of all the women originally enrolled in the study, Shames said.
    "Women who use Lybrel would not have a scheduled menstrual period, but will most likely have unplanned, breakthrough, unscheduled bleeding or spotting," Shames said. The bleeding can last four to five days and may persist for a year, he later added. Women who take other low-dose pills have reported similar issues.
    Still, a women's health expert said Lybrel would be a welcome addition for the woman who seeks relief from the headaches, tender breasts, cramps and nausea that can accompany monthly periods. Whether Lybrel relieves those symptoms was not directly studied.
    "Over time she will experience markedly less bleeding episodes or no bleeding episodes," said Dr. Vanessa Cullins, vice president for medical affairs at Planned Parenthood Federation of America Inc. "That is very beneficial for some women -- and is wanted by some women."
    University of New Hampshire sociologist Jean Elson pointed to advantages for what she characterized as a small number of women who suffer extraordinarily during menstruation, but overall she said the pill left her with mixed feelings.
    "For women in that situation, I certainly can understand the benefits of taking these kinds of medications, but for most women menstruation is a normal life event -- not a medical condition," said Elson, who researches the sociology of gender and medical sociology. "Why medicate away a normal life event if we're not sure of the long-term effects?"
    In recent years, as the hormone content of birth-control pills has dipped, failure rates have climbed. The FDA is considering whether to establish an acceptable failure rate for the pills. In January, a panel of agency advisers said less-effective birth-control pills should still merit federal approval if they promise other benefits, including improved safety.
    Generally, lower-dose birth-control pills can reduce the risk of serious and sometimes deadly side effects, including blood clots and stroke, associated with their use.
    The injectable hormonal contraceptive Depo-Provera also can eliminate monthly periods.

10. BedBunny

BedBunny Guest

that's the thing, do you want little periods when you don't expect them or once a month when you can count on them and know when it's going to start?

i'm not big on stopping my period altogether with a medicine. it doesn't seem like it's a good idea.

11. mrs0323

mrs0323 New Member

As someone who just had a complete abdominal hysterectomy last week and also has a daughter who has very painful periods, there are many avenues that can be taken to find out the cause of the cramping, alleviate some of the bloating, etc. It wasn't until I got my head wrapped around getting everything yanked, that I did some hard research on WHY women cramp so badly, the pms, the migraines, bloating, etc. A pill where you have irregular bleeding? Um, no thanks, I've had that for 3 years without taking the pill. And remember when Celebrex came out-the supposed end-all for arthritis sufferers? And then-oops, gee maybe there's some bad side effects we weren't aware of...
    My daughter immediately asked my opinion on this new pill and I told her the same thing I always have-find a good doctor to ascertain why you have the issues you do and if they can be mitigated by something a little less drastic. Yeah, periods are incovenient, I get that. But I wouldn't put anything into my body that hadn't been on the market at least 5 years. JMO.

12. pigeon

pigeon wasabi

i stopped using disposable pads and tampons and switched to a reusable cloth brand based in Canada - i use both cotton pads and natural sea sponges (sponges instead of tampons), and i have had no cramps since switching, and my pms symptoms have decreased drastically. (i'm still looking into why my cycle's so irregular).
    sometimes it's just as simple as an irritation from teh cotton used in disposable pads and tampons.

13. tb2883

tb2883 New Member

Wow i didn't know how irregular a period could be. I thought it came every month around the same time, last for about a week and that was it. Now i know a lot more.

14. arleiie

arleiie New Member

although it'd be really nice to not have a period (mine has been extremely irregular since i got it when i was 13..i'm 19 now and have yet to get a regular cycle for more than 3 consecutive months at a time) i still have to question a pill like this. anything that denies your body of its natural functions can't be good for you...

15. Skizza20

Skizza20 Robster craws? What the f*(& are robster craws?!?

There is a difference between the natural suppression of periods and unnatural suppression. If a pill can get rid of the periods without any negative health effects, then go crazy. There's nothing wrong with that.

Even though the idea of fewer regular periods might seem similar to times when people were having more children, the modern action of intentionally supressing bodily functions is getting farther and farther from anything we have ever seen before.

16. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

Supressing it with pretty much teh SAME hormones that exist to supress it in the first place. I see no issue with that

17. Skizza20

Skizza20 Robster craws? What the f*(& are robster craws?!?

Like I said, if there is no health issue, enjoy it!

18. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

breakthrough bleeding would be rather annoying.. with my period I have 2 days of heavy and then 2-3 of light.. and it is regular.. my period is not an issue for me.. it happens to all ladies but I can see how this would be great for women with heavy flows or issues all year round.

I think nature should not be messed with.. with high levels of infertility and it being on the rise I would think more women who want children should be careful with what they put in their bodies and what not..

to each their own. not knocking on anyone, Birthcontrol FTW.

19. The Fugue

The Fugue New Member

PE with the history lesson, awesome. :)