The end all thread for beginners

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition Archives' started by Simple, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

Hopefully with your help, I hope to make a thread worthy of being stickied or even :eek: archived :o.

F&N seems to get a kabillion "i'm just starting" threads, and it'd be nice to have a great reference point for beginners to check out first.

My contribution:
    I'll start off by saying that nothing in this world comes free. If you want to look the way you've always dreamed about looking you have to put in the time and effort necessary.

There are two types of beginners in the world. People who want to lose weight, and people who want to gain weight.

Keys to losing weight:
    Lift weights to pack on some muscle to jumpstart metabolism.
    Manage diet effectively by cutting out fats and in some cases carbs, and lowering caloric intake.
    Cardiovascular exercise.
    Commitment. Dedicaton.

Keys to gaining weight:
    Lift big to get big!
    Jack up your caloric intake.

Diet:
    My philosophy is to eat as healthy as possible. Cut out "bad carbs", fatty foods, grease etc. Fast food? try subway instead. Soda/pop? drink milk/juice/water instead. Deep fried? try boiled/poached/baked etc. Try hard to get a "square meal", cover all the bases on every single one of your meals. Meat, Dairy, Grains, Veggies. take a look at the food pyramid, are you getting your necessary servings? sure it's easy to eat enough meat, and grains, but what about veggies? If you're looking to lose weight, you'd be amazed at what you can do by keeping the portions the same, but varying what you're putting into your stomach. Bruce Lee viewed his body like a racecar. Do you want to put in high octane fuel? or some low octane crap? If you're trying to get big, check out various posts from some of the guys here, it seems liek they spend 100 bux a day on groceries. they eat big. lift big. and they GET big.

Cardio
    I advocate cardio for everyone. it almost seems as if everyone here only does cardio when they're cutting. sure it's conducive to your goals. i.e. jacking up caloric expenditure. but cardio has tons of other health benefits as well. better circulation, more efficient breathing, lowered blood pressure, lower disease risk etc. when you look at time commitment required for a GOOD cardio program, it's basically 20 minutes 3 times a week. that's 1 hour out of a possible 168 hours in a week. cardio doesn't just have to mean a treadmill. sure you can use the machines at the gym, elliptical, rowing, bikes, stairmasters etc. but those can get boring quick. btw watch your form when you're reading stuff on cardio machines. it tends to suffer as you squint to read. cardio can be a whole multitude of things, from just going for walks around the neighbourhood. got a dog? walk it!. spouse? go for walks on the beach etc. like sports? play them! there's pickup games to be had everywhere, intramurals etc. cardio CAN be fun.

lifting:
    for beginners, I don't recommend designing a huge inflated program at the start. you gotta take baby steps before you can run. number one thing you should do is get acquainted with weights. be it machines or free weights. you'll find that F&N wholely advocates free weights, and spits on machines. so go over to your gym one day and just check things out. intimidated? hell yeah, most people are when they first lift. but the thing to remember is that a) you're here to better yourself. fuck everyone else. b) everyone started where you were c) most people could give a shit about you as long as your'e not using their bench :big grin:.
    look into hiring a personal trainer for an hour to help get you acquainted with exercises, watch your form etc. you don't have to do this, but it's a good way to ease yourself into the gym.

for alot of people. time is an issue. try to hit the gym at least 3 times a week, lunch hour, at night etc. you can do fullbody workout and 20 mins of cardio in under 2 hours if you work efficiently. 6 hours out of 168 spent in the gym and you'll look fabulous. pretty good marginal benefit.

starting out, aim for 1-3 sets of 8-12 repetitions per exercise.
    hit the big muscle groups first before the smaller ones.
    i.e.
    pecs before shoulders/tris
    back before biceps

start with one exercise per muscle group and add on more as you go along. the first few weeks are spent with your muscles re-establishing muscle memory/paths. so you'll see gains fast.
    a good way to find out how much you should lift is, find your one-rep max for an exercise and then use 3/4 of your rep max.

this is an outline of exercises i would do.

chest: dumbbell bench press/barbell bench press
    triceps: overhead extensions/skullcrushers
    deltoids: lateral raises
    trapezius: shoulder shrugs
    biceps: barbell curl
    back: one arm rows/lat pull down
    legs: squats/leg press
    abs: crunches

note: these are just good introductory exercises. make sure your form is 100% or you're just cheating yourself. www.exrx.net is a goldmine for exercise information.

eh. that's all i feel like writing for now. feel free to add your contributions etc.

2. solo

solo up and down

sweet thanks a ton

3. terse

terse New Member

great post for people who are just starting out.

4. MikeMurder

MikeMurder Guest

You think I'm reading that? BAH! :big grin:

5. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

nice :bigthumb:

you should put some "how to"'s on there in bold so newbies can find what they're looking for easily.

And remember keywords so this post will pop up in searches. :big grin:

abs chest bench squat legs fat lose weight cardio excercise beginning starting weightroom weights bodybuild bodybuilding bodybuilder muscle fitness nutrition health biceps arms bicep tricep triceps back lat lats lattimus (? <--sp) glute butt calves thigh thighs

6. k27-R

k27-R gooood....goooood...

also, do a search :p

7. mrain

mrain Guest

Hmm.

I can reduce this down to one sentance for each:

To lose weight:

Eat clean, lift hard, get plenty of rest.

To gain weight:

Eat clean (and lots), lift hard, get plenty of rest.

:o

8. Letifo

Letifo Moderator

don't forget to eat pizza.

9. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

ADD CONTRIBUTIONS YOU JOMOS

more diet: i tend to stick to about 50% carbs, 25% fat 25% protein. pretty close to those dietary figures.

working out and getting healthy isn't just some kind of fad thing you can pick up in the winter or spring when you want to look good for the beach or some function or whatever. in order to truly keep the pounds off, feel good etc. you have to think of this as a LIFESTYLE. not a thing to do. but a LIFESTYLE.

10. anjego

anjego Invading your economy!

hmm. contributions I'd make:

1) DO NOT BE AFRAID OF THE GYM - everyone there was a beginner at some point, and you don't look nearly as ridiculous as you think you do. And honestly, nobody cares what you're doing there, as long as you're not in their way.

2) FORM BEFORE WEIGHT - it may be impressive to dramatically increase the amount of weight you're pushing, but if you do so at the expense of bad form, you're gaining nothing. concentrate on getting your form down first, and then strength gains will come. it might be "embarassing" to only bench 95 pounds, but if you're doing that in A+ form, you're going to have more of a benefit there than if you were doing 180 with an arched back and horrible form.

3) DONT BE DISCOURAGED - a lot of people who start weightlifting become discouraged or turned off by a couple things, it seems: that you don't see results immeidatley, and that you WILL be sore after a workout (especially a beginner!). That's normal, and everybody experiences it. Get used to it, and by the time you're getting used to it, you'll have noticed that you're seeing gains, and you're not as sore anymore. Funny how that works.

all in all, just stick with it!

11. DKKD

DKKD New Member

12. iCEgECKO

iCEgECKO Ballin' at 5'2''

What about the increased effects of getting bigger thanks to steroids? :o

13. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

people new to lifting shouldn't think about taking supplements until they've established a routine.

a) if you don't know much about lifting, you likely don't know shit about supplements
    a1) to learn more about supplements, ask users and try to shy away from what ads claim.
    b) don't believe the hype of some of those supplement ads. big muscles dont' come without alot of hardwork, steroids or not.
    c) steroids are dangerous for a large majority of people, I don't endorse nor condone steroid use. steroid users have to be extremely diligent and knowledgeable about their cycles to try and avoid/minimize potential side effects.
    d) lift big to get big

14. M-1000

M-1000 COME FLY AWAY

good post. lots of great information.

all i have to say is dont be discouraged. everyone started somewhere. dont be intimidated by the big guys. they started out just like you did. if you work at it maybe you will look like them :big grin:. and please watch form. form before weight. i hate coming to the gym to see people with horrible form. especially doing squats. they do weight before form. its sad

15. spoofy

spoofy Chemically Enhanced

Here I will make an effort to answer some very common questions. Be warned that I am not a personal trainer or a doctor so if you die dont call me.

I have been skinny all my life and I want to gain weight what do I do?

The main thing is eating you need to eat more to gain weight. A good rule of thumb is 22 cals per pound of bodyweight to gain muscle. 20 cals per pound to maintain and 18 to loose. Eat every 2 hours and have a big meal right before bed and after.

Your workout routine should consist of HEAVY compound movements such as deadlifts. Also do not work out to often. Going to the gym 4 or 5 times a week for 1 hour should be fine. If you need a routine diablo has posted one.

I want to do steriods what should i take?

Nothing. If you are a beginner you should not juice. I am not saying that people should NOT do roids. But it is not something that you should start with. People should only juice after training for years and if they are over the age of 21 (some people disagree on the age). If you have been training for years and want to learn about roids. This is not the place. Fazle does not allow us to talk about illegal drugs.

Is creatine safe?

yes it is safe. when you take it dont take anymore then 10grams a day and drink a LOT of water. I would take it before and after a workout. There is no need to do a loading phase and you should cycle on and off of it every 60-90 days. Only use this when trying to put on some size

What about Xenedrine, Hydrocut, and other ECA's?

If you have blood pressure problems you should avoid using these. Also do not take these with creatine. ECA's up your heart read and drain your body of water. THey CAN cause serious heart problems with long term use. Also taking these without working out will NOT cause you to loose weight like they say you will in advertisments. YOu must workout.

Why should I eat every 2 hours?

1st it speeds up your metabolism. Which helps to burn fat. It also makes your body more anabolic. It is a great way to loose weight or gain lean mass.

How much protein do i need?

1g per pound of bodyweight. Some people do 1.5 (which is good for bulking). Protien is by far one of the most inportent things in muscle growth. Without it you will not develop muscle.

What supplements should i take?

Depends on what needs to fit your diet. Some people need more calories then others and some people can manage to get everything they need from real food (real food is always better then supplements). Most people use at least a protiens supplement and a multi-vitiman. For bulking creatine is good. Yes there are a LOT of other things out some work ...some don't but almost everyone takes these 3 things (well, most women dont use creatine).

I want to loose X amount of pounds in 1 week. how do i do it?

If you want to loose weight quick you can use some type of drug but it is not safe and I would not suggest it. The only way to loose weight and look the way you want to is to change your lifestyle. You set a goal, eat right and follow a workout schedule.

Tell me about low/no carb diets.

they are a very unhealhty way of loosing weight. Your body NEEDs carbs for energy. Also your brain needs carbs to function properly. Without carbs you are doing damage to your body. But yes you will loose weight and it does work.

I am fat and I need motivation to work out help me!?

No. You already have motivation. You are fat look in the mirror. You are either going to loose weight or you are not. We are NOT an emotional support system. But we will provide info if/when you need it.

thats all for now

16. |(<>|\|

|(<>|\| The more man smoke herb, the more Babylon fall.

my ass needs to agin weight

17. Matt550

Matt550 New Member

wow, thanks alot, thats very helpful. i started going to the gym 3 weeks ago, and your right its very intimidating, but no one cares. thanks again :bigthumb:

18. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

hey we're here for you :big grin: :bigthumb:

19. jackjohnson

jackjohnson simple as something nobody knows OT Supporter

My contribution:

When drinking protien shakes use a straw! it acts as a bridge over your tastebuds, and you dont get the nasty chunks off the top.

thats all I have to offer:big grin:

20. solo

solo up and down

What gym do you go to in mesa?

21. solo

solo up and down

hahah that coo. I use the SRC at ARizona State cuz it free to mee.

22. surreal

surreal Guest

great post :) thanks hehe

23. kodiak

kodiak Member

If you guys are looking for cheap bars go to GNC. Look around at the expiration dates on the bars and if you find some that are expiring relatively soon, according to GNC policy they should be marked down in price. Things that are expiring in like within two months are 75% off, with like 4 are 50%. If they are not marked, which most arent, cuase it is a pain in the ass to mark all the bars (worked there over the summer), just ask one of the sales people. I got like 3 boxes of bars for like 20 bucks. Just thought I would give you guys the heads up.

24. cupdaddy

cupdaddy Guest

heres my 2 cents when an experienced lifter comes up to you at the gym and gives you advice, dont take it personally, they are usually trying to help you with something you are doing wrong.