The douchebag is the social equivalent of mainstream music

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Falconer, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

The douchebag is the social equivalent of mainstream music. "Everybody" loves it, but it is shitty and without substance. People who actually understand and study music do not typically like mainstream music.

Only musicians will understand my previous paragraph. I mean real musicians, not shitty musicians who can only play power chords and read tablature and think they're good because they can play some radio songs :rofl:

From this I hypothesize that finding a freethinking chick who is not impressed by douchebags will be roughly akin to finding a musician who is not into shitty mainstream music.

Consider the similarities:

(music)
    Dumb girl: "omg, I totally love the new R. Kelly/the White Stripes/Kelly Clarkson/whatever album! I don't know why, but everyone else loves it, and they play it on the radio, so it must be cool!"

(social)
    Dumb girl: "omg, I'm totally attracted to that frat boy who won the belching contest! He's getting a lot of attention so he must be cool! I can't think for myself so I think I like him, too!!"

(music)
    Smart girl: "I study music. Radio music all follows the same formula/chord progression/lack of compositional integrity. These 'artists' couldn't identify a dorian mode if it kicked them in the ear. How could anyone enjoy an R&B song where the bass is the same note over and over and the singer is just alternating between two notes in falsetto, a root and a fifth? Boring! I bet people who listen to this music don't even know what a fifth means outside of alcohol."

(social)
    Smart girl: "Seriously. That guy is a douchebag. Why would that act he's obviously putting on attract anyone? Superficially it might be entertaining, but anyone who can't see through that deserves whatever they get."

:: puts on flame suit ::

2. BradUF

BradUF Guest

lol even the smart girls love douchebags. When ever you see a hot girl with a guy, you alaways think douchebag but I wanna be the douchebag with the hot girl friend.

3. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I think this sums it up and explains why you see the hot girls with the douchebags.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2007
  4. Jimeigh

Jimeigh Every rook and jay in the corvidae have been raven

i dont know what you're talking about. the white stripes are entertaining.

5. gabacho numero uno

gabacho numero uno New Member

they're one of the more enjoyable mainstream acts IMO

I'm not a musician but I'd consider myself somewhat an afficianado. not too many 19 year olds listen to Frank Zappa and Steve Vai...

6. Jimeigh

fuck, are the white stripes even mainstream?i dont even listen to the radio so i dont know what goes on there, but i hardly ever hear people talking about them, or the Raconteurs for that matter.

7. gabacho numero uno

I THINK they are mainsteam, mainly because I heard my vapid step-sister talking about them 3 or 4 years ago. I'm like you though, I'm completely disconnected from popular culture/mainstream music. I realised that Mtv was retarded when I was about 14 and I've never looked back. :bigthumb:

8. Jimeigh

to the point, i think the analogy is lacking.

for one thing, the sex pistols are one of my favorite bands, and they're pretty objectively bad musicians. i realize this, but i *get* it, anyway. the reason your analogy is lacking is because a song doesnt need to sound pretty or be hard to play in order to have substance.

9. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Though I agree with you on a lot of points (i'm hugely into music) you really just come off just sounding like elitist douche bag in your own right :dunno:

10. Chip Chipperson

Chip Chipperson New Member

is there any way to remotely power off this kid's computer until he talks to a girl. it's going to do so many good things for so many people

11. lauren

lauren Active Member

:rofl:

but good luck dealing with the "im more underground/musically sophisticated" bunch, metaphorically speaking....

i think youd have better luck finding a girl who doesnt judge in the first place.

egalitarian paradoxes....

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  12. Jimeigh

they're quite possibly the worst. pretentious indie sluts. fuck em, they're rotten.

13. lauren

lauren Active Member

which socially i think is analogous to the anti girly girl.

on the surface, it seems like shes a great catch...until you realize shes just promotes herself like that not from any internal personal conviction, but rather just to be different.

14. Jimeigh

which brings me to my relatively new user text :bigthumb:

15. demosnat

demosnat New Member

Oh my falconer,
    A. I like you, I really do, this is all coming from a constructive place.
    B. NO ONE fucking acts like that! Your "dumb girl" is a archetype, she is everywhere and yet nowhere. You hear a stupid comment, from an intoxicated girl and she is "dumb girl" she is not always like that. I am an elitist asshole too, but trust me on this one, I spent a long time villianizng (sp?) those women, and unfortunately for us, they are only like that when surrounded by people who make them feel threatened.
    C. As LG said, good luck dealing with the "omg music is my life im so indi/intelligent etc group. Snobby self imporantce is as irritating as I <3 the mall after about three seconds.

16. ArthurPewty

ArthurPewty New Member

This thread has convinced me to stop taking things so literally.

17. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

lol I got my first Steve Vai album for Christmas in 4th grade :rofl:

18. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

The music thing was an analogy. It doesn't mean people who like good music are not douchebags. It has nothing to do with elitism. It was an analogy. It doesn't mean anyone who doesn't like a certain band is a douchebag. People should listen to whatever they want and whatever makes them happy. I was just making an analogy:

x : y :: a : b

Remember?

The analogy was simply the appeal to the uninformed/non-freethinking/whatever masses. That was all.

19. gabacho numero uno

I've known of him my whole life :dunno:

but it's cause I grew up around my dad and uncle who are big time music freaks. they own an album(vinyl) collection together of about 5,000 albums. No shit. I'm not even exaggerating... :o

and dude, I bet you anything you randomly ask 10 teenagers, and not even one will know who Frank Zappa and Steve Vai are.

20. johnny

johnny shit, baby

:rofl:

21. gabacho numero uno

lol, why is that so funny?

22. johnny

johnny shit, baby

the intelligent spite :bigthumb:

23. demosnat

demosnat New Member

:werd:

24. gabacho numero uno

haha, well I have my reasons. She's a bitch who happens to make good grades and thinks of herself as more intelligent than she really is. She is obsessed with Linkin Park and similar numetal groups, dresses in all dark colors and is generally a Daria-wannabe tool. And she watches almost nothing but Mtv. :ugh:

Thank god I never actually had to live with her.

25. demosnat

demosnat New Member

Lol me too. My name is Morgen, and in middle/early high school people would call me morgandorfer (Darias last name) b/c I was quite and sarcastic and smart/dorky.
    It made me so mad :hs: