GUN The difference .22LR ammo makes *for noobs*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Laurel, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Laurel

Laurel New Member

I'll preface this by saying that I too am a noob, but before I got into "precision" .22lr shooting, I had no idea that ammo made such a huge difference. And it's not just a "you spend more you get more" type of thing, there's a great deal of experimentation that needs to happen. Especially with .22lr, some barrels/guns just don't like shooting particular ammo. This is by no means a comparison of the merits of different ammos.

I have my 10/22 zeroed using Wolf/SK .22 ammo, which is surprisingly good. It's a low-velocity target ammo that my Shillen barrel loves. I'm still pretty new, but I was able to pull off some nice groups at the local range at 50 yards, this is just a target with 5 shot groups.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We headed up to MG's family's cabin for the 4th of July weekend and I intended to do some plinking with my 10/22. Since I was just planning on plinking, we just brought up CCI Minimags for me to run through it. I found a stack of Olympic 50 feet targets in a pile of papers of MG's father's and took one to see how I fared. The x-ring is smaller in diameter than a .22 if that helps give you some idea of the size.
    [​IMG]

I set up for 50 yards out and tried some Federal Auto Match that I found in the bottom of MG's shooting bag. I've tried it before with less than spectacular results, but was still pretty new to the game, and since it was between a match ammo and a plinking ammo, I figured I'd give it a shot (hahaha, funny pun). It performed less than spectacularly again. This target shows 10 shot groups. In the photo below, it's the lower right hand group. I'll admit that I wasn't paying as much attention or concentrating as hard as I probably should have been, but my attention level remained similar through the entire 5 targets. After the ghastly performance I got with the Federal, I figured I'd see how the minimags grouped, and was pretty pleasantly surprised. The remaining 4 targets were shot with 10 rounds of minimag. Despite them being cheap plinking ammo, they performed admirably in my gun/barrel combo. Obviously the Wolf/SK ammo is nicer, and I'll probably just break down and buy more of it for taking up to the cabin, but even Wal-Mart ammo has potential to group very nicely.
    [​IMG]

I guess the point of this post is to get out there and experiment! You won't know your gun's optimal performance unless you try out a number of different ammos. While my gun doesn't shoot Federal Auto Match well, Federal Classic groups pretty nicely for me.
    [​IMG]

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I've had decent luck with the automatch with my Kadet, and it does alright with my 10/22 w/ a GM tube and Bentz chamber.

Currently rolling through a stockpile of PMC pistol match I got a while back, which I hear is the same as SK. My CZ 452 likes the shit quite a bit, but it is the dirtiest and stinking-ist (the ammonia vapers really clear my sinuses) "match" stuff I've seen.

Which just goes to show you, that 22's are finicky as hell and you should try everything you can get your hands on. If you find something you like, buy the entire store out, or as much as you can find. Rimfire ammo can change from lot to lot on a whim.

If you get really bored Laurel, you should break out the scales and calipers and sort the ammo based on weight, as well as rim thickness. It DOES make a difference, but I gave that shit up when I got outta rimfire BR. Not so fun unless you are shooting tiny groups for pride/money.

3. I found out this weekend that my dad's friend, who owns a cabin close to my parents' cabin and is also our family doctor, has some old Anschutz .22 rifle. He doesn't know which action it is unfortunately. I told him to bring it up next time and we'll shoot it. He's really into pistol shooting, and hardly uses rifles at all, so I'm trying to talk him into selling it to me. A patient of his gave it to him for free. The even cooler part of this is the patient worked for the OSS during WWII and was good friends with General Vo Nguyen Giap and Ho Chi Minh (his whereabouts during the Vietman war and exactly who he was working for are not really clear.)

4. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i buy bulk federal 22lr (don't like firing just lead rounds and they sell some cheap plated rounds) it's cheap and i get a decent grouping (the ammo is less to blame than my poor shooting in general lol)