FRK The Definition of Fetish. (A lesson in terminology)

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Cherryfire, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Cherryfire

Cherryfire "If we believe obsurdities, we shall commit atroci

What is a fetish?

I've noticed in months past that the word "fetish" has come up quite a lot and is met sometimes with resistance as some would say that what most of us consider a "fetish" is not really a "fetish" at all. It is, as they would say, a "pop culture shake and bake version" of the actual intended meaning.

So i decided to do a little research tonight, before going out with some girlfriends for a naughty night out and after talking to a fellow fetishist, to find out just once and for all what the meaning of the word Fetish actually is.

from http://vekquin.com/philosophy/fetish.html :

Firstly, against pop-culture's definition of the word, I will say that a fetish is an object, not an act. (The dictionary does recognize that it is always an object, not an act; so that part of it is actually right.) If a fetish object is being used in a certain act, then and only then can an act be called a fetish act; only because the fetish object is being brought into the act. For example, many people who enjoy being spanked say that they have a "fetish" for spanking. Well, that's not accurate; instead, I would call that a strong affinity or a high interest in spanking, or some type of fixation; but not a fetish. However, if a person has a particular affinity for an object such a hairbrush, being used on them during spankings; and the sight of a hairbrush itself arouses certain interests or causes a fantastic reaction; then the hairbrush is the fetish and the spanking with the hairbrush is the fetish act.

from Dictionary.com:

An object of unreasonably excessive attention or reverence: made a fetish of punctuality.
    Something, such as a material object or a nonsexual part of the body, that arouses sexual desire and may become necessary for sexual gratification.
    An abnormally obsessive preoccupation or attachment; a fixation.

from Curtin Health Science, Dept. of Podiatry:

Object Fetishism
    Inanimate object fetish can be sub divided into form and media fetish.
    - In the form fetish, it is the object and its shape that are important e.g. high heeled shoes.
    - In a media fetish it is the material that attracts e.g. hard materials like leather and soft materials such as fur.
    Animate object fetish involves parts of the body i.e. feet, legs and buttocks, ankles , toes etc.

Judging from these definitions, I think it is fair to assume that most of us have it right. Saying you have a fetish for lipstick for instance would be accurate. Saying you have a fetish for shoes or feet appears to be accurate. I think a lot of it has to to with object association. For instance, one quote mentioned the hairbrush as an object of fetish only as it was used as an implement of spanking. Its the fetishists association with the hairbrush as a tool of pleasure/pain that is so inviting and gets them excited and so seeing a random hairbrush even in a totally benign situation, devoid of spanking or threat still provides great pleasure and receives reverance from the person involved.

However, saying you have a "fetish" for anal sex or a fetish for being tied up would appear to be innacurate. Those would be situations that one enjoys, but if any of that would be a fetish, it would rather be a fetish for rope, which makes the bondage experience enjoyable..or a fetish for the anus or dick which makes the anal sex experience so appealing.

Thoughts?

2. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

I think i've had this argument with too many people. Good job break it all down honey!

3. Natas

Natas O&A Party Rock

would I be wrong saying that a fetish is non-sexual? but can have a sexual outcome

4. Phantom Empress

exactly. it's how I get horny from going to IHOP.

5. Cherryfire

:kiss: :wiggle:

I just think that the word is highly used enough, especially in here, that we all should know what we're talking about. Its about speaking intellegently.

6. Cherryfire

Or getting excited over little bars of soap. Especially if theyre "pocket sized". :naughty:

7. 12xalt

12xalt petrolsexual

8. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

I envy you people.

9. Buckaroo Banzai2

Buckaroo Banzai2 leave a message at the beep

That is great. Ever since the fetish thread was posted I did some reading as well. Was still confused but you broke it down quite well. Thanks for posting it. Now I have to figure out my fetishes verses my turn on's.

10. Natas

Natas O&A Party Rock

The syrup? :wackit: or the spatulas?

11. Triple-C

Triple-C New Member

In my psych of learning course, my professor told us that a fetish is something you simply can't have sex or sexual stimulation without it being present... I disagreed, but not publically, in fear that I would reveal some of my own. :o

12. xela

xela So say we all!

Hey, thanks for breaking that down Cherryfire!

Question though...a fetish can only be something non-sexual? If I said I have a fetish for dildos, would I be correct in my terminology?

13. Phantom Empress

pancakes.

Tigre and I go to IHOP almost every time I go home to visit him. I always have pancakes. Over the years I've associated pancakes with sexual activities since always, very soon after having pancakes We'd be off somewhere making out or I'd be giving road head or something.... So. over time I've been conditioned to expect sex after eating pancakes. I get very horny At Ihop and more so after eating pancakes.

14. Cherryfire

If it were the be all/end all for you..that seeing a dildo in a non sexual surrounding, even if there were no chance of you using it or having it used still had you highly aroused..then I would guess so.
    I think it would fall into the Inanimate object fetish. Thats a close one though.

15. Lavender

Lavender Easter is my favorite holiday...

Can smell or taste be apart of a fetish? Because I know when I smell a certain kind of cologne or taste toothpaste when I'm kissing someone, my juices flow like crazy.

16. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

If toothpaste and cologne are specific objects that arouse sexual desire in you: fetish.
    But I think u'd have to be turned on by the toothpaste/cologne itself more than the fact that the man was sporting the toothpaste/cologne on his person.

17. Cherryfire

I agree.

18. Kd

Kd Guest

Well done, the mods should make this one sticky :bigthumb:

19. kiss kiss bang bang

kiss kiss bang bang New Member

thank god some people understand the term. i was getting sick of seeing things like shorts skirts being a fetish.

20. Cherryfire

:rofl: :rofl: No kidding.

21. xela

xela So say we all!

Old thread, but I'm sticking it.

22. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

I was kind of upset once I realised all of this, as I don't think I have any fetishes.
    However, I did come to a happy conclusion that I am still as kinky as ever.

23. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo New Member

my thought is that: why are people getting so bent out of shape about the usage of the word? is it really that important? is it really taken that seriously as to need an education thread?

and then my other thoughts are: based on that I have a leather, metal, and high heel fetish... and that is all :mamoru: :naughty:

24. xela

xela So say we all!

I think that it's really something we all should know. I mean...I just think it's cool to know. :o

On that note, I too, do not have any fetishes. I wish I did though. :o

25. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo New Member

personally, I think that anything: smells, tastes, textures, etc., should be considered a fetish...

and I think according to the above definitions... they technically are. It doesn't specify just sight or usage of the item, it just says the object itself.

For instance, my fetishes: leather for sight, smell, and texture; metal for sight and texture; and high heels for sight.

at least thats what i think anyway. and i also don't feel that it should be something that necessarily has to be used in order to be a fetish. I know thats what the definition says, and I know thats what makes sense, but I like how leather looks and smells... but I don't necessarily have to be wearing it in order to get off. The definition there is a little sketchy I think. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it since its become a big deal now.