The day has come where I need to run a PC program that won't work on MAC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pussysmith, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

I never thought this would happen but I need an automotive scanner software to work on my computer but I have an Apple. So I guess I needed Parallels with XP. Can anyone tell me how Parallels works? Will I be able to install and run a PC software that has a cable running to the vehicle and my USB port?

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

yes.

but i like vmware :dunno:

3. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Ok so vmware fusion it is. How does it work? Whenever I boot up does it ask me what direction to go? How will "my computer" operate? Will it really just work like a PC?

4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

no, thats bootcamp. it allows you to boot windows.

vm ware gives you a virtual machine 'in a window' or full screen while mac os is still running. either should be fine for what you want to do, but the virtual machine is easier to set up, and easier to remove when you are done.

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Have you tested crossover??

6. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

virtualbox is free virtualization software and has most of the same features as vmware and parallel

7. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

8. verbal

verbal Active Member

Bootcamp makes it pretty easy to remove a Windows partition too. Just start up bootcamp and it lets you delete it.

If you set it up with bootcamp, you'll be able to choose if you want to boot into OS X or Windows. Plus you can use VMware Fusion to boot Windows while in OS X. Best of both worlds, if you want it.

9. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

I'd only recommend this if you need to boot windows without mac, like, you don't have much ram or you want to play games etc. This is how my laptop is set up and I am going to convert it back to a vmware image. You sometimes have random driver problems going between bootcamp and vmware, vmware can't suspend the virtual machine meaning you have to start and shutdown ever time..

10. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

So I just went to the store, bought XP with service pack 3 and installed it using virtualbox. Its amazing EXCEPT the screen is so tiny I cannot get it to be an actual full screen on my MBP without causing the screen to be too TALL and then not seeing all of the XP desktop. Its an eye strainer for sure. Can anybody help me make it an actual full screen?

11. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

does virtualbox provide a display driver? install that then set its resolution.

12. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Thanks again! Thats exactly what I needed. I just had to click to install the driver and now my mac screen is full size windows with the addition of the normal dock at the bottom. Really nice!