The Crippler. Not really...

Discussion in 'MMA Training Logs' started by GeeGee, Jan 8, 2009.

1. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

Trying to outsmart the competition.

Alright, So, After reading some logs for a while I have decided to start one of my own because I need something to keep me on track and motivated.

I am a fresh blue belt that puts a lot into his grappling and is not really into takedowns or striking.. mainly because I suck at them. I am developing myself as a [guardeiro] guard player which is kind of weird for a guy that is 6'1 and around 200lbs.

I have been told that I am really flexible for the most part except for the fact that I cant do a Van Damn split or anything like that but I can get steamrolled into a ball and shit and end up sweeping/submitting/recovering etc.

So, here is what I would like to work on more:

1. Top game/Guard passing - I am good at it and relentless if I actually try.. the problem is that I am fucking lazy as all hell and find that this gasses me out with a good guard player.

2. Better control - I am alright at controlling from the guard but I kind of have a hard time keeping control from top position.

3. Balance - Again, top position ... It feels like my balance is off.

4. Escapes - I would like to be better at this.

5. Triangles - I get the position a lot. But lately have lost my touch a little in finishing from here. I have about a 65% success rate now.. used to be a lot higher.

6. Guillotines - I never really go for them. I find them to be low percentage for me. I usually bait these for other people so I can half butterfly sweep them or move to side control.

7. Transitions - I would like to be more dynamic and faster. I need to get in better shape for this probably.

8. Omos - Need better control.

Things that I feel that I pretty good at.

1. Half guard - I worked on this A LOT last year. I really developed my half guard game and can usually sweep/submit with a high percentage of success from here.

2. Leg Locks - Especially knee bars and heel hooks. I have stayed away from heel hooks because my coach thinks they hurt me more than help.. even though I would submit people very often with these.. they are illegal in competiition so I have been focusing more on straight ankle locks and knee bars instead.

3. Mount - Im alright.

4. Full/Butterfly Guard - I think its pretty good. I submit mostly from the guard.

I dont know what else to say. I will try to update after grappling practices.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  2. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

Gi class last night.
    I rolled with the coach and had some decent positions and shit but got gassed after a while and lost big time. I think he tapped me about 4 or more consecutive times yesterday.

Rolled with this dude that is 3 weeks away from purple [coach told us] and did pretty well. Played guard the whole time. He ended up going for a toe hold and so did I in defense. I tapped him but he said that he stopped cranking on my ankle first because he heard it crack. I didn't feel/hear shit but I thank him anyways just in case its true because I don't need another broken ankle. I also gave him credit for the tap.

Sidenote - I was able to pull of that triangle from Half-guard that I learned from watching Chechen's videos. That felt good. He escaped but I had position which was cool. Coach watched me do it was surprised I pulled it off.

Also, horsing around after class someone body locked me from behind with double underhooks. I tried to escape by lifting lifting his elbow with mine and pushing down on his hand to break grip for a sakuraba/renzo armbar but the dude is way stronger than me. I then remembered the rolling kneebar I saw in this catch wrestling/sambo competition video on youtube and was actually able to dive under and kneebar his leg. That was pretty cool too considering I have never really drilled that position.

3. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

So I started my diet yesterday and went to practice. I forgot to get some carbs before training and thought that I would be fine. Big mistake.

My diet consists of a McDonald's caesar salad for lunch and then protein shakes for the rest of the day. I know.. not the best idea but I saw some dude get pretty cut doing that on bodybuilding.com. The problem is that I failed to realize that that dude probably doesn't any sports like I do.

Anyways... Went to practice and rolled with 3 people. A judo black belt, a whitebelt kid, and a good blue/wrestler.

I did well with my first fight with the black belt. It was pretty back and forth which says a lot because this guy was also a 4 year college d1 wrestler.

The new guy wasn't much of a challenge and I usually just let him pass my guard or let him start in side control and worked on my escapes.

The blue belt kid is good and super strong. I did alright with this guy too. Took his back for a while and rode it out. By this point I was so tired that I was just surviving. Shit sucked. We took this pic last night after practice.

[​IMG]

4. rtzcom

rtzcom bon wons! fight slepa for life sone!~

that asian is looking sexy

5. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

which one are you in the pic g?

6. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

2nd - Left top with the black Atama on.

7. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

Had a great training session last night. Rolled with our BB a white belt and blue belt .. all of whom are around the same weight as me or heavier.

Did really good, felt like my game was on point. Survived against the BB for about 6 min non stop. Got some taps on the other guys and I wasnt tapped. Started from inferior positions with the white belt like I usually like to do.

After rolling I worked out with the BB on the treadmill for about 15min of running then we did some circuit training on the weights chest/back/bi's/tri's. Felt good afterwards.

Got home and just drank a big protein shake [muscle milk chocolate] and took a sleeping pill. I wish I could train today but Im getting dragged to a funeral with my GF instead. Bummer.