"The cost of clean" news story about auto car washes

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by n2_space, May 22, 2008.

1. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

2. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Great article and just one more reason to not trust the drive-thru car washes. Thanks for sharing.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Lots of operator error involved as well.

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

truth. when i was asst mgr at a touchless full serve, we used 2 step acid/alkaline to clean the cars. i looked for the product we used (Acidex) but couldn't find anything. I don't think ours was HF based, but I could be wrong. anyways, we were very careful to ensure that the correct dilution was used. some days saw a higher concentration, but the track speed was also adjusted for dwell time. I know i had the stuff on me at full strength more than once, and i still have all my skin :dunno:

anyways, it's tough to say tunnel washes ftl when i've been on both sides of the coin. I know that cars we washed that had been waxed regularly and washed by our tunnel always had beautiful finishes, no marring, and the customers were happy. and as professional detailers, the full-serve car wash is our biggest competition, it is a niche business that fills the need for a huge number of consumers.

5. ruthless_one3k

ruthless_one3k New Member

I worked at a car wash when I was 16 the owner came in one day and opened a new container of pre-wash some splashed on his leg it did a real nasty job on the flesh i dont know if it was hf but it was pretty nasty stuff

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

for a majority of the touchless washes, that's how the process works.