GUN The Constitution guarantees our right to bear arms; it does not guarantee ammunition.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by PC Principle, Apr 25, 2008.

1. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

TopGun113 posted this in offtopic. I thought you all would like to read it too. Typical ignorant liberal babble warning.

The Chicago Tribune actually printed this as their main letter to the editor today.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/letters/chi-0424ledeletterapr24,0,938520.story

The ongoing gun violence is a deep concern of the residents of the city of Chicago and people across the country. Each time a young person is the victim of a shooting, community leaders organize marches and memorials that seem to produce little more than speeches and promises.

I have a more practical suggestion that usually produces effects: Fight gun violence with the pocketbook as well as the prayer book.

As you are aware, constitutional issues complicate gun-control legislation, not to mention organizations such as the NRA. Guns have no power without bullets. I suggest that a very hefty, even prohibitive tax be imposed upon ammunition.

Bullets are incredibly cheap. Municipalities and states have the power to tax as we are all well aware. Al Capone could not be convicted for the violent crimes he was responsible for, but he was finally convicted of tax evasion.

The truth is the tax man has more power in this country than the policeman.

The Constitution guarantees our right to bear arms; it does not guarantee cheap and easy access to ammunition. In fact when the Constitution was written, men made their own ammunition. They didn't buy it in boxes at Wal-Mart.

There is no constitutional issue as far as I know that keeps government from taxing ammunition. To make it most effective, garner the support of municipalities surrounding Chicago to effect similar taxation. This does not mean that people won't be able to get ammunition elsewhere, but it will require more time and resources to access it. If local stores had to charge a prohibitive tax, they might choose to stop selling it. If they failed to collect the tax, they would be subject to prosecution for tax evasion. Criminals who bought or sold ammunition illegally would also be subject to tax evasion.

Certain items purchased outside municipal boundaries can still be taxed if brought into a municipality. Just try to purchase a car outside Chicago or Cook County to avoid the taxes and you will receive a bill when you register your car.

Guns have to be registered. Perhaps municipalities can require sellers of ammunition to verify the purchaser has a license to have a gun and must verify the gun is registered. This makes selling ammunition a real pain in the neck.

Sales taxes on ammunition can be graduated depending whether it's for a hunting rifle or an assault weapon. Let's use our creativity in dealing with this issue instead of relying on speeches, memorials and press conferences.

—Patricia Shaw

Make sure you leave a comment.
    http://www.topix.net/forum/source/chicago-tribune/TGFF4OGVOHDAERMAC

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Luckliy that knowledge and skill has been lost to the ages today.

Your link is the broked.

3. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

Good thing I don't buy ammo at hellmart.

4. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

:uh: Screw the poor people, they don't need to practice or worry about defending themselves or their families. Why don't they just get an alarm system?

5. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

HAH

6. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

Doesn't one entail the other?

It's logically inconsistent to give people the right to bear arms while simultaneously withholding or simply eliminating the ammunition required to properly operate said arms.

... goddamn I fucking hate some of the people I share this planet with. Bunch of cognitively deficient assholes. :rant2:

7. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Links are fixed.

8. dannybonbon

dannybonbon Guest

Bullets are arms

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's the way of politics. If you don't get your way the first time (ban guns) you just keep beating them over the head until you get your way (ban ammo).

Look at what some parts of the country have resorted to... Was it DC or VA??? (I don't know exactly where, but it was the wrong coast) that made you have your guns disassembled when stored at home... I mean thats crap. you can own a gun, just as long as it's not assembled to resemble a gun? come on.

10. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

thats what i've been trying to tell people for awhile. it will not come down to fighting the constitution for guns, it will come down to legislators banning what is needed for guns to work

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Which would still come back to the courts as a violation of the 2nd amendment, its a completely half baked idea. Note the recent ussc arguments where the justices focused not just on what was banned but the spirit of the law and the practical implications of things like if a locked up/disassembled gun could be brought into action quickly enough for self defense. The idea of pulling a quick one on ammunition is something baked up by people with rambling thoughts but no real world idea of how it would work.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what worries me is those same asshats essentially scaring others into accepting serialized ammo as a "compromise".

13. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

keep quiet

14. Silver96Firebird

Silver96Firebird New Member

All AR owners: "Yes, I would like the tax discounted .223, as I plan to use it for hunting in my Rem 700"

Walmart Guy: "You won't be using that in an AR will you??

All AR owners: "Of course not"

15. 4fifths

4fifths God of Bartons

lol....."why do you need 2000 rounds then?" It's for hunting sir.

16. GTP

GTP New Member

I got a deer problem.

17. The_Ratt

The_Ratt Hedepnaw

:rofl:

18. Scrooge McDuck

Scrooge McDuck OT Supporter

we've gotta thin the herd

19. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

is it illegal for someone who is under the age of 16 and or doesnt have a drivers license to go buy a container of gas? :dunno:

does someone have to show a valid drivers license to purchase the gas?

20. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

No lol

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'm a bad shot. :mamoru:

22. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

eggzachary