MMA The Commercial Path of the UFC

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by DSPNLM, Oct 3, 2006.

1. DSPNLM

DSPNLM New Member

Rant,

Who thinks the current trend of showing some T&A to get people interested in the US MMA fighting industry is the wrong way to go? Until UFC's ridiculous display last night on spike I thought the worst were Xyience's commercials but I think the UFC topped the cake last night. I just think we are creating a trend for MMA to be taken as less of a serious sport for a long time to come.

Granted, I expect the average Joe loves the T&A and sees it as excellent entertainment, and I suppose that its good for the sport to broaden the fan base, but how far should it go and are we building the fan base that we want. Maybe I'm too serious of a martial artist, but I want them to focus more on developing the sport through developing fighters. If we have good fighters and hence, good fights, won't we get more fans in the US that way as well?

End Rant:wiggle:

2. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

i agree, they are trying to attract the wrong audience, and with the wrong audience i fear they are gonna start changing the rules to keep the said audience entertained

3. Titus

Titus New Member

what they did last night isn't a bad thing. more viewers and more of an audience = more money, more money that can go to putting on more shows a year, etc. so they used sex to help sell the sport to more people, what hasn't done that?

4. DSPNLM

DSPNLM New Member

to coin a marketing term, "easly sleazy" is definately a good fundraiser, and one that probably every organization has considered, but it also says something about the type of audience the US MMA community thinks it needs to cater to, I think in the short run it is working for them, I just hope they have the foresight to change strategies for the long haul.

5. Trueno

Trueno Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

I agree. I fucking love T&A but that is just not what I want to see on the MMA. It's fucking retarded.

It's going to become another WWF.

6. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Anything that brings exposure is good.

7. Titus

Titus New Member

exposure = more events

8. xinster

xinster New Member

its not about the audience, its about the $$$$

9. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

more events = more money

more money = better paid fighters

better paid fighters = better fighters, since the talent pool will grow.

10. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

beats me, I just searched the newsgroups and I don't see anything new.

11. Kuet

Kuet New Member

good thread. :bigthumb:

12. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

one of the many reasons pride > ufc

13. DJ Cripsen

DJ Cripsen New Member

well at least Pride is staying the same.

14. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

has anybody found a torrent or newsgroup for it yet? What was the exact name?

15. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

It isn't the first sport to use sex to help sell... I really don't see how this in any way takes away from their in-ring product... Other than the between rounds booty shot, they don't really put to much focus on the girls...

As for PRIDE, they already have plenty of HAWT little asian honies...

16. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

Its more than the sex. Its just the atmosphere of the show. The last UFC I watched, I really felt like I was watching the WWF at times. All the trash talking after Penn / Hughes...I couldn't watch anymore and turned it off, just glad I didnt pay for it :]

17. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

agreed. And i don't mind the t&a. You guys forget, hot chicks stick together and this will make more of them attend the events :bowdown:

18. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

You and your agreeing buddy are probably the kind of guys that BOOO at MMA events too because the "SHOW" is not good enough.

MMA is not about chicks, all Dana needs to do is find a hot chick (sure he dates plenty of them) hire her and be done with it. The focus is on the fighters, when you make it a "Sport's Illustrated Swimsuit Contest" you get the wrong viewers, more of the guys like you who BOOO at MMA events. Personally I could do without you and your friends. Go to the strip club if your there to look at chicks and definietely FIND A NEW HOBBY! :madfawk:

19. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

You MUST have a degree in business genious.... Will you PLEASE come run my company?:ugh2:

20. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

Ok so I don't always look at my spelling before I hit submit lol, I suppose it would be pointless to go back and edit now wouldn't it? :coolugh:

21. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

Wow captain america you assume so much. Obviously mma is not about chicks...i still watched ufc since #1 and they had some ugly ones back then :rofl:.
    Don't you want the sport to grow so they can have more quality fighters and bigger events? Should pride cut their 2 minute intros down (to keep it all about the fights) and just stay in japan because it gets "proper" respect out there? Those intros are more pro wrestling than ufc's ring girls. (I enjoy the intros too). It makes it fun and appealing. Alot of todays best fighters were influenced by the exposure of past ufcs. If the ufc keeps doing what it takes to grow...including increasing sexuality, then so be it. We don't even see the girls that much anyway and youre crying about it. mainstream mma is not a bad thing.

:hug: i didnt mean to hurt your feelings.

22. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

*meant

:big grin:

23. xinster

xinster New Member

You must have misunderstood me.

It's not about what kind of audience you draw, if you can maintain sheer volume. more ppl watching, more money. nobody gives a fuck about a true mma fan who actually train and know the ground game if you can replace him with 5 more fools who pay just as much to see the same show.